free hit
counters
Time to start putting my s2 (79070782g) back together! - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Time to start putting my s2 (79070782g) back together!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Regarding the front Vin, I fitted my waistband trim a little longer and filled the ends with black sealant/adhesive but that was probably far from factory finish. I think you would be fine leaving as is, or maybe using satin black paint to blend it in a little. 

Regarding the rear maybe just apply a lillte heat to a screw driver shaft and roll it over the lifted areas once bonded ?..... 

A

Hi Vin, 

there needs to be extra length there. Some of the cuts are 30 degrees and others 60 degrees where the trim is fixed to the door. Check my blog think it's on there. Get someone to help when you fix with sealant and use a hairdryer to soften the trim. Do put too much glue! Fill the end with the polymer sealant and cut off. 

Hi Vin, 

there needs to be extra length there. Some of the cuts are 30 degrees and others 60 degrees where the trim is fixed to the door. Check my blog think it's on there. Get someone to help when you fix with sealant and use a hairdryer to soften the trim. Do put too much glue! Fill the end with the polymer sealant and cut off. 

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

The trim ends on the door before the edge. Check out the Bond car pictures.image.jpeg

Get the 30 degree cur on the door front correct if the door will not open!

Cut on the door front waistline trim(hate IPads)!

Edited by Lotusfab
Spelling

Thanks Fabian,

I think the trim should have some more movement for the extra length required.

Did you put the sealant in the edge trim or on the body?  Hoping not to over do it first time round

Any chance you have a couple of pics of the rear corners?

Vin Taylor

I put the sealant into the trim in a bead. Put the trim on the day before heat it gently so it can take the shape and tape on. Leave it overnight. Then get help on the rear comers. I did it on my own and could have got the corners better with help and knowing about the heat! You must get the bead height correct. Experiment with a cut off. It must be enough to contact the body but nit too much to spread out all over the body. If you do get any on there clean it off immediately.

I used a pair of mole grips on the rear corners (the 90 degree ones) with not enough pressure to mark the trim and left them overnight supported against a stand, so they didn't fall off.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Just received the capping rail trim from SJ's.

Is it worth fitting the trim right away while I've got the windscreen off the car? or would I need the windscreen in for alignment? 

Vin Taylor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

finally back working on the esprit!

Its been 6  years since I've taken the car apart.. so I am seeking some help putting it back together.

Fuel Vent Pipes

Is the fuel vent pipe supposed to cross over from one filler neck to the other via this channel?

Also does the vent pipe connect from left to right and then at the T piece of the left side and out of the car via this hole next to the fuel tank access?

Am I also missing a couple of P clips for the vent pipe to stay in place after the T connector?

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

Fuel Filler Neck

Is this order correct for the filler neck - Filler neck/Gasket/Body/Gaskets/Finisher ring ?

Also is the neck stuck to the body via silicone and held in place with screws? Are there any fasteners to secure the screws?

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

Vin Taylor

Engine Bay Cables

Does anyone have a reference picture of how the handbrake cables and rear hatch cables should pass around the fuel tank ?  Should these cables pass behind the fuel tank or underneath it?

Also trying to figure out the exit holes of the handbrake cables in the engine bay

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

Door Catch

Do I need nuts at the after the doorarrow-10x10.png catch bolt spacers and bracket or is this correct as is?

IMG_0093.JPG

Sorry for all the basic questions, but I'm hoping to fit things on the correct way round before moving forwards :D

Vin Taylor

Hi Vin, check my blog for the vent pipes. The routing is correct, similar to the S3 vent pipe setup. The throttle cable stuff is also on my blog. Make sure the fuel cap is almost flush and use silicone and screws for the filler neck. Door catch I didn't use bolts. Handbrake cable Company routed to the left of the fuel tank as you look at it from the rear.

Thanks Fabian,

does the second pipe from vent connector go back all the way to the drivers side ?  It's seems strange as the original p clips are still in my car and there's no way 2 vent pipes can fit through.  Also no space in the channel of the bulkhead.

i still have both roll over valves, maybe this setup was different? Can't seem to figure out where the vent pipe exits the car 

Edited by vintaylor

Vin Taylor