free hit
counters
The Esprit S1 Single Motor Headlamp Pod Adjustment Thread - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Tony K

The Esprit S1 Single Motor Headlamp Pod Adjustment Thread

The factory service manual has next to nothing on adjusting the headlamp pods.  Hopefully these pictures will help to demystify the linkage operation for those who are working on theirs for the first time:

post-907-0-68518900-1395339422.jpg

post-907-0-49918100-1395339455.jpg

post-907-0-09026300-1395339477.jpg

Cheers,

Tony K.  :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Saved those :)

Should help when I come to put it all back together in ten years or so!

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

My pods don't seem to lift all the way any more. I disassembled the motor system last year and tightened everything up so that they lifted nicely and smoothly and didn't wobble when I tried to move them but over time maybe 100km of night driving they started to wiggle again. Parked I can easily rock the pods while they are up. When servicing them that first time, I noticed that when I wobbled the pods the spring would expand to its max but that I could pull the pod a bit further away from it, so when I re-installed it I stretched the spring a bit before putting it back together which cured the problem, but it seems only temporarily. Does anyone have the uncompressed length of that spring or its spec so that I can order a replacement. I checked with the usual places and nobody has it.

Brian M.

Edited by marcbria

Hi Tony,

just wanted to thank you again for your great write up and pictures in detail on the head light motor. I was able to work on mine this weekend and figured the problem out right away. The wiring was crossed, probably by a repair of the previous owner due to the fact that I have not touched the wiring. I assume everything ran backwards, don't know if that is possible, but now everything runs totaly smooth, no bumping of the pods when they go back in, really nice, The bending of the rod was not necessary at this point.

Thanks again for your help, awesome job!

Uwe

Hi Uwe,

My headlights bump as they go down, I just assumed this was normal having never owned an esprit before.  What did you adjust and how did you stop this?

Everything else works fine on them.

Thanks.

Alec

Hi Alec,

I am just the newby on the block and can only tell you what worked on mine. I had the bump before I fixed the wiring. My wiring on both sensor tabs were upside down, hooked up on the wrong/other spade but on the correct side. I followed Tony's picture on this post and corrected the wiring as seen on his and the motor runs smoother with no bump when they go in.

I can just think that maybe the relais was confused but still did the job, I have no clue at this point....but it works, guess I got lucky!

Best,

Uwe

Thanks Uwe,

I will check my wiring and see if its the same.  I am new as well so happy to take any advice offered.

Thanks for your help.

Alec

My pods don't seem to lift all the way any more. I disassembled the motor system last year and tightened everything up so that they lifted nicely and smoothly and didn't wobble when I tried to move them but over time maybe 100km of night driving they started to wiggle again. Parked I can easily rock the pods while they are up. When servicing them that first time, I noticed that when I wobbled the pods the spring would expand to its max but that I could pull the pod a bit further away from it, so when I re-installed it I stretched the spring a bit before putting it back together which cured the problem, but it seems only temporarily. Does anyone have the uncompressed length of that spring or its spec so that I can order a replacement. I checked with the usual places and nobody has it.

Brian M.

Hi Brian,

If the pods aren't raising as high as they used to, and/or if you can grab them by had and raise them further, I would remove the motor and see if the short rotating arm on the motor itself has play.   The linkage will only raise and lower the pods through a set number of degrees determined, for the most part, by the length of the rotating arm on the motor.   It is keyed into a fixed position by having a slot that is a snug fit on the motor shaft;  if that slot or the shaft wears and there is any play at all, you will have excessive play in the pods, causing them to not lift all the way from the motor and probably slam closed, too. 

That would be the first thing I would check;  I would also check the cross-shaft coupling for cracks or looseness, although in that case the left and right pods would not necessarily stay aligned with each other.

Photos taken for reference of correct headlamp pod height:

post-907-0-43235100-1396488638.jpg

post-907-0-67889100-1396488657.jpg

There will always be a certain amount of jitter with a single headlamp motor S1 -- if there is none at all, I fear something may be too tight or binding, stressing and wearing out the linkage prematurely.  The nut on the bottom of the helper rod is there to eliminate excessive flutter, but the little bit of play in the linkage and within the motor assembly make it next to impossible to dial out completely.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tony

Uwe ---   I'm glad you got it sorted!   :)

Hi Uwe,

My headlights bump as they go down, I just assumed this was normal having never owned an esprit before.  What did you adjust and how did you stop this?

Everything else works fine on them.

Thanks.

Alec

Hi Alec,

If you haven't sorted it yet, I'd start by aligning everything with the lamps in the down position.

- Tony

Tony,

My headlights are now cycling up, then down, then up. I had then working great and now this, I suspect some parts have rattled loose. Did you put locktight on any of the nuts?

And if its not too much trouble, could you add a picture of the linkages when the pods are up. I know it'll probably be a pain to get since you can't raise the pods with the hood open.

Brian M.

Tony,

My headlights are now cycling up, then down, then up. I had then working great and now this, I suspect some parts have rattled loose. Did you put locktight on any of the nuts?

And if its not too much trouble, could you add a picture of the linkages when the pods are up. I know it'll probably be a pain to get since you can't raise the pods with the hood open.

Brian M.

Hi Brian,

If they are going up, then down, then up;  then the answer will most likely lie with one of the microswitches --  either a wire is loose/broken/disconnected, or on the wrong spade, or malfunctioning internally, or the position of the microswitch (on its mounting plate) is not correct.   If they are just going up a little bit, it's probably the position of the microswitch -- move it so it clicks sooner.

Give me a few days to get a lights-up pic;  I'm going out of town for the moment,  will try to get one for you over the weekend.

- Tony

p.s. -- I think loctite is a good idea, although haven't done it myself.   :)

Thanks Tony,

Once I get the car back from having the fire damage repaired I'll be able to start tackling these little annoying things.

Brian