free hit
counters
British food shop in Canada forced to close - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

British food shop in Canada forced to close

OnAir

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Far from it. The curse of the nanny state with daft rules and unintended consequences has spread far and wide. Here is another Canadian example:

The City of Vancouver is one of the few Canadian cities with the pwer to enact its own building code - most codes are done at the provoncial or federal level. Anyway, a few months ago the Vancouver City Council decided to amend its code to ban doorknobs. In the interest of making doors more accessible to people with mobility or grasping disabilitiies, it is now mandatory to use lever mechanisms rather than knobs on door latches. This applies to all new buildings, not simply public buildings in the city limits. (If I was to build a new house inthe city, which I am not about to do, I might think it in my own interest to use levers but I would have no choice). 

Fast forward a couple of months to a report in the local papers. They quote a study from an Opthalmology Association in the US which is now reorting an increase in serious eye injuries in young kids, particularly boys. It seems that they are running around houses (as kids are wont to do) and running face first into door levers which, for a 4 or 5 year old, are at eye level. Of course, kida have done this since who knows when but the levers are typically pointy and much more damaging than old fashioned doorknobs.

In fairness, I have not researched the article cited by the papers but it seems to make sense. More unintended consequences of over-regulating governments

Mike

'97 V8

'73 Europa TC

'10 Elise SC