free hit
counters
Clutch alignment tools? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Clutch alignment tools?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There have been times when I didn't have the proper tool. I've had success feeling the edge of the plate and flywheel through gaps in the pressure plate at least at three points. Use enough initial tightness on the bolts to support everything but still being able to delicately shift the clutch plate into position. Torque them up when satisfied everything is centred.

DanR

Do what is easiest, if you are likely to do this job on more than one car invest in a set, if you like making things and have the right kit make one or alternately depending on where you are based there are quite a few people on here who I would think would lend you one, if you are near Luton I have a set.

Regards Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Long reach socket that fits into the bearing on the shaft, short extension bar with tape wraped arorund it to make a neat fit on the clutch plate, line everything up and lightly tighten up the bolts,, remove tool and hey presto. If your engines out it is even easier to eyeball to make sure its straight. I have used this method for the last twenty odd years and never stuck with one yet.

When I first did my clutch I took the old pressure plate and the new spigot bearing to my local Halfords so I was able to buy a multi tool with the correct fittings. OK so I've got a few extra items I didn't need, but more importantly I've got an alignment tool that is perfect for the job ☺

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Long reach socket that fits into the bearing on the shaft, short extension bar with tape wraped arorund it to make a neat fit on the clutch plate, line everything up and lightly tighten up the bolts,, remove tool and hey presto. If your engines out it is even easier to eyeball to make sure its straight. I have used this method for the last twenty odd years and never stuck with one yet.

My preferred method as well, just try a few sockets till you get a good fit.

Worked fine on the Esprit and many other engines before.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.