free hit
counters
I almost stuffed it ! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I almost stuffed it !

Any one else suffer from big foot syndrome?  As I would like to know.

Following a Range Rover and a good distance away doing no more than 35 / 40.

The driver left it unitl the very last second to brake hard and indicate right.

This was the first emergency stop I have had to do in the car. I have a size 12 trotter and this slammed the brake and throttle at the same time. Theres not much room in the footwell at the best of times.

The car speeded up a tad quick.

Somehow I managed to stop with the front of the car under his rear bumper engine reving and a strong smell of brakes.

Though no harm done, my pride battered and a change of pants required I cant help thinking this really is not the best car for me. At least it was a R R and not a lower car as the outcome would of been very different.

N

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I squeeze my size 11 feet into size 10 canvas shoes to drive the Esprit, it's all I'll drive in!

I'm glad luck was on your side, I've heard you can do pedal-box mods on post-'87 models to add precious millimetres more clearance down there...

Have you considered a narrow sole trainer for driving in eg a Puma Speedcat or similar?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Have you considered a narrow sole trainer for driving in eg a Puma Speedcat or similar?

Have used thinner shoes / trainers but they do tend to give me cramp. I do use a puma shoe which isnt to bad though I do have to use the throttle with the side of my foot.

The things one will put up with to drive an Esprit!

I squeeze my size 11 feet into size 10 canvas shoes to drive the Esprit, it's all I'll drive in!

I'm glad luck was on your side, I've heard you can do pedal-box mods on post-'87 models to add precious millimetres more clearance down there...

Yes I have read blurb about moving pedals. I dont know where they would go as when the cluch is pressed I nick the brake pedal if I dont get it right. 

You could also try pele radium trainers which are a narrow fit with a rounded heal similar to the speed cats. Not a great selection of colours but they do the job. 

Edited by mdw

Yes I have read blurb about moving pedals. I dont know where they would go as when the cluch is pressed I nick the brake pedal if I dont get it right.

Yes, getting caught under the brake pedal trying to release the clutch is my bugbear in anything larger than a 10 too. I haven't looked but it feels like the clutch could go left a bit if you sacrificed the rest space there.

As for the brake-accellerator clash you had today, well, you might need to consider getting a toe moved :D

I came very close to crashing my Esprit on the way home from collecting it (into the back of my father's Kia no less!)

Upon advice from this forum I bought some Kart Racing trainers from Demon Tweeks and now wear them on every journey as my foot used to ache after half an hour of pressing the throttle with the side of my foot, and the clutch with my toes (I'm only size 9.5)

I seem to recall that the pedal box mod involves removal of the pedal box which is not the easiest of tasks.

Edited by markw996

1994 Lotus Esprit S4  &  2016 Tesla Model S P90D

As for the brake-accellerator clash you had today, well, you might need to consider getting a toe moved :D

I think at least one toe removed would do the trick, I have a angle grinder in the van! :)

Guest surferphil

My cousin used to make fun of me for being short (I was actually average height and he was 6'6").

This stopped when he found out I had bought a Lotus.  :harhar:

I still found the Esprit tricky but got used to it and I wear size 9.

If I had big old flipper feet then I'd get the pedals modified ASAP.  :secret: