free hit
counters
Help 1986 Turbo Esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
seanchev

Help 1986 Turbo Esprit

Hello,

I'm new to forum and seek some help. My friend has a 1986 turbo esprit with 11,000 miles the car has been sitting in his garage for 15 years. The tires are dry rotted and it hasn't been run since being parked the interior looks perfect and the body looks perfect.. Here are my questions.

(1) What is the car worth running and not running?

(2) What are the problems known about this car I should look for?

He has had several offers from dealers for about 13,000 as is, were just wondering what the best direction he should take.

Thank you in advance,

Sean

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would say probably sell as is unless you can do the work yourself with a view to keeping it.  It will require almost certainly quite a lot of money spent to get it back to a useable state.  Cambelt/waterpump/tyres/brakes corroded electrical contacts, all manner of things will need looking at

Dito.

I'd bite the dealers arm off at 13k.  After sitting for 15 years it wouldn't be a cheap fix to make it a runner again.

I stand to be corrected though.

Perhaps some pictures would help you get a better opinion from the community on here.  

I'd be a seller.  Just my two cents.

Rotted tyres - 13k? Instant sale IMHO!!

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Sue's 84 TE which was used regularly and had a rolling restoration full MOT and tax with 14000 miles since a full rebuild made £9750 just over a year ago

So if someone is going to pay you £13k for a car that will probably need another £5k in parts and £5k in labour to create a car that will be 'worth' £15k (if someone wants to buy it) so even if you do the labour yourself you are better off taking the £13k and buying a fully sorted car (assuming you want a Turbo Esprit)

If I had my time again I'd have suggested Sue get an S3 N/A and you could probably get a very decent one for under £10k

John

I am thinking the 13k is dollars from his location.

Let me start over what would a 1986 turbo esprit with 11,000 miles garage kept with 4 new tires be worth.

I see prices all over the place I thought this would be a good place to get a feel for what the car is really worth running.

no matter how you word it answer still the same .SELL IT for 13000 dollars

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Sell it - you don't know what it will cost to repair. The Tyres are the least of your problems. The point is that whether your friend knows it or not - he stored it away for a reason. There are too many possible issues. If it hasn't been stored properly - there could be even more. You could spend more than $13000 on repairs and still have a car that is just OK.

I must admit I am of a different view from my fellow posters..... I'm never sure about USA prices, however I reckon such a G car with 11000 original miles with a pristine original body & interior would be worth maybe upto £15K+ in the UK - assuming its been dry stored.   I would change the tyres, belts, fuel lines & brake lines and pads (£1500?) and see what else it needs  Heaps of abused junk are still making £8K+ in the UK.   I would wager such a car would get bought in the UK by a trader, fettled and sold for a large margin.   

I assume it is LHD. The highest price will be on the European continent eg. Germany.

Sale price       18.000 GBP

less taxes        -2.000

less shipping   -2.000

Overhaul         -7.000

Misc.               -3.000

As is price        5.000 GBP

After storing you need to change/clean everything in contact wiht fuel. Following needs to be changed: Oil, water, freon, belts, sealings, tires, headlights, wipers. Brakes need overhaul. Clutch hydraulics? Check dampers, bushings. Go through all electrics. Some sticthing might need renewal. Headlining? Areal motor? Headlight motors?

The only thing, you do not have to worry about is the rear view mirror.

Been there, seen it, done it....

The Real Stig Lotus Turbo Esprit, Lotus Elise S1, Lotus Elite, Lancia Delta, Jaguar XF ....Previous cars: Subaru SVX, Porsche 924 Turbo, Lotus Eclat Excel, Lotus Elite, Matra Murena 2,2, Fiat X1/9 5sp

Where abouts is this vehicle located? I'm in New York and fancied a classic for high days and holidays, i was looking at a Porsche but would rather get an old Esprit for the rarity value.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.

Just emailed you Sean.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.

The problem with the 86 is the Bosch K Jetronic Fuel Injections System.

At top speed, the system does not provide enough fuel, resulting in a lean mixture, and after 5 minutes the motor goes boom.

I would recommend fixing the car, then sell it.

With only 11,000 original miles, you should be able to get in the high $10,000 to low $20,000 range