free hit
counters
Bought an Excel - Page 2 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

. Might have to reconsider. In any case I will have to get another set for the winter, as I am organizing a winter event here in Finland and I need studded tires for ice racing!

April Fool?

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here you go:   With Chairman of Toyota:     With British Royalty: Note the wheels are pearl white. I was wrong!   Sorry, don't know why they are upside down. They are right on my Photobuck

^A little video from another Finnish winter event..   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOAuvwzv8Gg&list=UUSarYSKgmfstPBHKEqzPDFw&feature=share

Thanks. It´s crap picture, but the only one I´ve got... Instead of thinking about the important bits, I am debating with myself, should I paint the wheels white or gold?

Posted Images

Been browsing my books trying to find out what stereos Lotus installed in Excels when they were new. The October 1984 test drives in the Brooklands book had some kind of Blaupunkts. Does anyone have more specific info?

P.s. BTW, old Blaupunkts are great, as they have the Aux pin, so you can hook an Ipod to the really easily..

Edited by Finlandese
  • 2 weeks later...

^Never really understood why Excel did not get the v8. Esprit did not have a transmission to handle the v8, but Excel did.

P.s. Has anyone seen another widebody Excel with Smiths gauges/flat instrument cluster top like mine has? 

Edited by Finlandese

^Really? Mine is from time before the SE models introduction, and every other one that I have seen has VDO Instruments and curved dash top. Even the Oct. ´84 press cars had the curved dash top with VDO gauges, as in the basic structrure of the dash is the same as in the year narrow body ´84 , but gauges are VDO instead of Smiths and the top of the dash has been curved and not flat.

This was in my understanding the usual pre SE widebody dash ( and what appeared in all the Oct 84 press clippings:

post-6471-0-54141000-1397417320.jpg

• 5 months later...

Had the steering rack refurbished (was leaking like crazy). Rack, new front brake calipers and winter wheels are on the way from Lotusbits. The car will go to the paint shop for repaint in pearlecent white and the wheels will get the same treatment. As the car has been such a total package, I sold my daily driver and will use the Excel as a daily driver this coming winter. Will fit 195/55R15 studded winter tires, and will have a great time drifting on snow..

Edited by Finlandese
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The rack and brakes are now fixed, and dropped off the car to the paint guy yesterday. Should have the completed item within two weeks. Which is nice, as my daily is currently a 1989 Maserati Zagato Spyder, and I´d like to take it off the road before the first snow hits the streets...

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up the winter wheels from the blaster. Next stop to the painter the exchange the wheels for a newly painted Excel.

post-6471-0-44697500-1414181021.jpg

Just got the car from the painter. The paint is amazing!!! These photos do not do justice to it! As a little hiccup, the light pods refuse co-operate now, as not coming down from the up position. The lights do come on, but according to the painter the drivers side pod motor starts to heat up when you have the lights on. Any ideas?

post-6471-0-28127700-1414342701.jpg

post-6471-0-35388000-1414342716.jpg

I think they are pearl white, but in any case I´m covered as I have two sets of wheels. The winter tires will have the pearl white ones for now.

Hmm.. The headlights came down when I helped them with manual back up knobs. Hoping that all would be good again I put the headlights on and the pods came up (with the right one winking first)! Alas, this was just a ruse, as when I turned the lights off, the pods stayed up. and a 30 amp fuse blew. Two of the three relays are feeling warm and there are signs of one wire having had heat..

Any ideas?

Hi Jani ,Just be very careful and  check that is the correct fuse for the application I ended up burning the wire loom and the lift motor out because the lift motor fuse on mine [1983 ] was supposed to be a 10 amp which it was on the outside markings and colour [red] but inside it was more like 30 amp ,these were cheap 100 for £2 but it worked out expensive in the long run.

As for the fault there are two contacts inside the lift motor gearbox that need to be cleaned and the relays that work the motors also need to have good contacts ,on mine they are behind the headlamp passenger side [RHD] ,the lift motors will jam if the bonnet is not fully closed , where there is heat there is to much current being drawn .

Hope that's of some help  Ian

Thank you for your advise, Ian.

The headlights work again, and this is because... No idea! I didn´t do anything to them!! I was just about to start unhooking the newly installed horn when I raised the headlights and turned off the ingnition. The pods went down like they should go. Now they work just like they did before (RH side winks once before settling to up position).

The only explanation that I can come up with is that the WD40 that I sprayed on all connections had it´s way with the system..

Just got the wheels back. They may not be to all tastes, but I am really looking forward getting these mounted on tires and on the car.

post-6471-0-70286000-1414945916.jpg