free hit
counters
88 Esprit missing bellhousing plugs or covers? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

88 Esprit missing bellhousing plugs or covers?

Hello all. I am sorting out a recent 88 Esprit Turbo purchase. When viewed from the top of the bell housing, I can see the flywheel through a hole where there should apparently be a plug? This is not a great concern, the second issue might be. When viewed from under the left side looking rearwards, between the wastegate and the engine block, I can see the flywheel through a small opening as well. Hopefully there was a cover place there originally? I have seen many engines where there is a thin metal plate between the entire bellhousing and engine block, a large shim in effect. I'm thinking a full membership is in order at this point? I'm guessing the parts manuals would have the answer to this....thanks in advance.

post-17088-0-39561300-1396290829.jpg

post-17088-0-08441100-1396290869.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was a molded rubber cover on my 89SE with the Renault transmission, not sure about your 88 with the Citroen.  Mine also fell out.

I talked with JAE about it many years ago, and there was no replacement, but it might be worth a call to the parts suppliers (JAE, Dave Bean, RD Enterprises, SJ Sportscars...)/

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Thanks for the response. I have tried JAE's website but it won't load from my ipad. I am looking for a source for a blue belt and some other parts. I will search for a posting of suppliers, I believe I ran across one earlier.

There is a molded cover on the Citroen transmissions also. They don't fit very tightly even if you have one.

You remove the plug to adjust ignition timing (see the pointer? The other end of the large "screw")

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

There is no cover there that looks to me to be the place where the main bearing housing meets the block. They do not have anything coverung the flywheel there. I use this as access to jam a large screw driver to hold the crank steady whilst undoing the front pulley bolt. The hole on top originally had a rubber but so few still do not to worry about it. The top one is for the timing marks on on the crankshaft which are stamped on the outside of the flywheel and line up with the pointer in the opening.