free hit
counters
Carbon fiber parts for Stevens Esprit (SE) - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Carbon fiber parts for Stevens Esprit (SE)

Jacques

Hi all,

Since it's only last year I bought my Esprit Turbo SE (1990), I have found out tomy big dissapointment, that most of the smart aftrmaket parts in carbon fiber once produced, is not available any more, and noone is willing to produce them any more.

I would like to buy the following:

- B-pillar trim in carbon..

- carbon roof (from composite mould, not glass mould).

- head light covers in carbon.

- any other interesting part(s).

Give me ashout, and we'll find out something.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 1 month later...

I'm afraid I don't have the Facility for it.

But I have been thinking about it a few times. WHO knows,. maybe I'll give it a try.

Until then, I will look to buy ihe Things, so still interested.

Cheers,

Jacques.

I did the window trim (the plastic trim bit) in carbon textured vinyl, looks fine, I was going to do the light covers but didn't have enough, real carbon fibre is nice, but the cost for those bits is huge for what they are.

For the dash mask you could have it done with a water based transfer system.

Depends if you want real carbon, or you want the look.

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I did look into it a few years back but the cost for the parts such as the b trim, headlight covers etc was not worth it, they are thin plastic and the weight saving makes no difference. But it does look good! Could they be done with pre peg carbon and vacuum bagging?

I'm interested in a solid roof, so if you manage to get the carbon bits I might be interested. The trouble with an esprit is, it's all such short run stuff and each model is different making the runs very short.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the idea Rick, but I have some doubts about it. I don't trust them in buisness, and my Brother for example often have problems doing buisness with chinese factories.

Secondly, I will prefer to support a western Company, pref. in Europe or best in Denmark, to keep employment here, as many many Companies are moved to china. Not possible for those parts though, as noone in my country makes it in that small scale (amount).

Or an American Company, but every time I deal with Americans, I pay a "bonus" read: fine, in postage and every single time I also have to pay a rather large tax on import from the us.

Lastly I don't trust the chinese on environmental claims. I think is a ticking timebomb under the nature. So I Count them out any time.

But thanks for the sugestion.

Meanwhile, since writing this thread, I have bought some carbon parts from PNM in the UK, namely carbon B-pillar trim and carbon headlight covers.

I also had the carbon airbox done earlier.

Still looking for more ;)  as Little Red Riding Hood is on a diet.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• 3 years later...

Time for an update on this old topic.

Since then, the following parts have been available in carbon fiber for the Stevens Esprits:

- head light covers

- b-pillar covers

- airfilter box

- roof

- V8/S4/S300 tailgate

- side mirrors and mirror trim

- inner gearstick on SE

- GT3 interrior gearchange center console trim

- V8 tailgate vents

- I've also seen a very nice made Little round cover part for the late V8 style Wind screen wiper arm.

I also found out that the carbon version of the Sport300 bucket seats are no longer available, I'm afraid. Those would be very nice to have.

Personally, I'd like to see the whole air intake box for the fresh air supply made in carbon fiber, the front compartment relay cover, the engine undertray, the bonnet, the engine cover, the rear relay cover (the carpeted one), front and rear bumper (S300 style), the glove box lid. the Sport300 rear wing and a few more. A copy of the later model very shortened gearshift knob (flattened ball) in cf would also be super nice to have, as it's a bit heavy in aluminium. What I would really like in carbon fiber, is a copy of the big heavy Sport300 engine cradle brace bridge. It's should of course be as stiff, if not stiffer. That would save a lot of weight.

I am trying my best to convince the right people to make some more parts. I found a boat builder with many ears of experience in glassfiber and carbon fiber, who is willing to make some parts, but at a hefty price. He is working on my V8 tailgate right now, which is in a very raw state right now. It needs extensive Works to be sufficiently prepared for a road going car. I'll update here. Depending on the outcome, I may try him out on e.g. the front relay cover as well. We'll see.

More as it becomes available.

Kind regards,

Jacques

ps: maybe Bibs or a moderator could move this away from wanted, to say Stevens Esprits in general?

Here's a teaser:

carbon tailgate.JPG

• Like 1

I concur with Jacques' wish list with emphasis on air intake box, engine under tray and the engine cover for which I would pay a handsome reward.

I would suggest that any manufacturer listening could quickly sell 100-200 of these quickly at the right price? 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...