free hit
counters
Body Part Interchangeability (is that a word?) - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Body Part Interchangeability (is that a word?)

jim.druell

OK, I'm in a time crunch and can't do the research...I'm working overseas and am looking at buying a 1990 Esprit SE.  Will later model V-8 body panels bolt on to the 1990 SE?

Thanks!  Jim

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Jim,

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 'body panels' as the Esprit doesn't have separate panels but if you mean the wheel arch extensions from the S4s & early V8's then I know they are not just a straight forward swap onto an S4 & I don't know if they'll fit the SE, it can be done on an S4 but I think it needs some cutting of the existing side mouldings & obviously painting.  Hopefully someone will be along with a definitive answer.

Phil.

• Like 1

The main body is really one piece bonded.  And they are really all the same with minor differences as far as the exterior (antenna location, small recesses near the A-pillars, rear hatch), but larger differences as far as hose routing, and steering wheel mounting IIRC.

I assume you are talking about the lower side sills, bumpers, the front and rear valences, wing, and wheel arch extensions that make a V8 look different.

They can be added, and look fine, inside there are some differences like the oil cooler ducting is different...  The wheel arch extensions require that the wheel arches be cut up.  There is some fabrication to convert an SE to a V8 look, but it is not impossible.

• Like 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Jim,

I had to replace the lower valance and bumper on my S4, so I did swap over to the V8 front valance and bumper. I think the actual bumper section is the same between the S4 and V8. There was a surprising amount of work required to get the valance to fit. Not least the shape of all the ducting for the Rads and Oil coolers is different. I really wouldn't recommend the change as the only outwardly obvious difference is really the sides of the valance and the front oil cooler ducts look a little  more aggressive. Although its a much bigger change SE to V8.  As I had to replace the bumper and valance anyway I didn't mind so much all the hassle of the change. Given the cost in materials, time and parts, I would personally recommend saving a little more cash and put the money saved on parts towards an actual V8, as there are many other benefits to making this step up to the newer model that make it well worth the extra cash.

Best of luck with what ever you decide though.

Edited by CarlC