free hit
counters
Aluminum Gas Tanks - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
MikieP

Aluminum Gas Tanks

Looking to buy a pair of alum gas tanks. Turns out the first mechanic I took my Esprit to, a Jaime Goffaux here in Maryland, that actually called me to tell me I had them in the car back when he had the car in his Yesteryear Motors shop, has stolen them prior to handing the car over to my current repair shop and replaced them with completely rusted steel ones. TIA.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just remember that Karma will ALWAYS have its way. If this Jaime Gouffaux has indeed stolen your tanks, he/she will suffer from their actions. It may be a blown engine, bent valves, an un-identifiable rash on his privates, a sick child, a limp wanker whilst a firm one is needed, whatever, but I am a firm believer in "what comes around goes around". I know this sucks for you. Let him believe he has gotten away with whatever. Move on and let this prick rot. He will get what is his. And thanks for the warning. We will make sure he suffers as well.

Its not a impossible job to re do yourself saving the labour bill .  Especially if someone else has undone all the bolts recently.  Recon on a day and a half to do both. There is plenty of advice on here as most of us have had to do it already.

You can buy aluminum tanks for your Esprit here in the U.S. from a custom fabrication shop in Ocala Florida. The company is called Boyd Welding and they have a website http://www.boydwelding.com/.

We have dealt with them and have installed their tanks in our own personal Esprits as well as in several Esprits we have restored in our shop. Their pricing is reasonable and quality excellent. I don't have any financial interest in this company, so I am just passing along information for the benefit of Lotus  owners especially here in the U.S.. Check their website and don't hesitate to cal them. They have supplied Esprit tanks to many others and they list them on their website as well as photos. These guys are pros and have been in the fuel tank business many years. I have been at their shop and they are a first class operation.

Hi all,

Thank you for your support and information on the Boyd shop... I am soon 69 with two replaced hips with a forever 40lb total lift limitation so DYI is simply impossible and shop labor rate being $105/hr, makes replacement seem insurmountable right now. Hopefully the sucking out of the current rust particles will last for a while, but I think I am being very optimistic. I will maintain the shop info and see how things go. Car still in shop waiting for GPS speedo from Speedhut to finish up the work, I hope. Will keep everyone apprised as to results.

MikieP

Very sorry to read about a person so low in his mentality, that he steals two gastanks... How low can one go?

At least he had to do some hours of Labour to solve the theft.

I would suggest that someone locally to you could make a get together with some beers and a dinner, and do it for you. You hold the tools and get the beers, and two, three Guys take care of the heavy stuff. Not so heavy, mostly ackward.

I'd do this any time here in Denmark, but that's a long way from you.

Just my 2p.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Tom,

My car was apparently on lease in Florida before the last owner sold it to me so that may be where the tanks were from to begin with! I will call them and see if they have memory of a yellow Lotus getting tanks from them!

Jacques,

Yeah, quite a let down since the ones in the car now full of rust. Thank you for your commiseration though.

Let me know how things work out. If you can't afford new tanks you can always re-coat the existing ones - we use POR 15 tank sealant when we reclaim OEM tanks.. It will cost you less tan $100 per tank but it is a very labor-intensive process and of course you have to remove and re-install the tanks as well.

Hi Tom,

Got hold of the Boyd shop hoping to provide some proof to a court suit they at least they were in the car but they do not keep any record of where their tanks go after being made. Highly likely they made them for this car though. I can afford the $750 for the tanks, just not the shop labor time to do it. I have been told it would be $2000 just for the labor. Jaime Goffaux, the mechanis who told me I had them and then removed them from the car races a white Esprit so he probably stole them for his race cars (apparently owned by a Dr. McGovern here in MD - at least that is what I was told by Goffaux.) So pissed off I can't see straight about this issue as the tanks are seething in rust particles.... Thank you for pointing me to Boyd though. They are not certain what they have will fit my 93 SE though.... Some day he will get his hopefully.

Seriously Michael, aren't there anyone in your area, WHO could get together and do it for you? Not that difficult, just ackward.

That is what local meetings are for, too. ;)

I hope someone local to you will chip in with a offer on Labour, and you'll get beers and a good barbecue.

Just my 2p.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Hi Jacques,

Just joined the local club but have not had the car in hand until yesterday after nearly 2 1/2 years! Picked it up at the second shop yesterday and gleefully drove it home 30 miles away. No A/C, half the boost I was told it had, broken side light lens, Fan Fail tell tale on, 11.5 lbs of R12 freon missing from my 30lb jug, rattle in engine compartment, and other niggles. Ran OK so decided to drive it another 110 miles to our retirement home. ON the way, Alternator belt broke, ABS Tell Tale light came on, Battery Tell Tale came on of course, Oil Tell Tale flickered occasionally when idling and other things I have since forgotten about. Shop said they would bring enclosed trailer down to house and return and make all correct. Unbefuxking believable.

The local group contains the Dr. that employed the first mechanic that stole my aluminum tanks to begin with and probably has them in one of his race cars, or they were installed in another of his client's car. Not a lot of hope there. Over $40K in this POS so far and got to drive it about 150 miles in 2 1/2 years.

Jacques,

Just attended the local meeting last night. Does not appear anyone has the capabilities....

MikieP

Arhh, that's too bad. It's not that difficult, just a tedious job.

An example: I've read and been told, that you have to remove the oilfilter to get to the chargecoolerpump. So, last Winter, when I wanted to renew my chargecoolerpump, I was prepared to remove the oil and filter.

But hey no, a bit of patience, and the pump came out and no need to remove the filter. It's not always impossible, but just calls for patience and time.

I hope you find someone that will help you do the gas tank change. Think I read somewhere, that rust from them can block and destroy the fuelpump.

Best wishes,

Jacques.

Jacques,

Yes, that would be great, but think that is not likely right now. And you are correct, as most pumps of any kind rely on the liquid they are moving to cool them and when flow is inhibited, they get overly hot. It is indeed a great worry of mine now this will happen so have to be careful to watch for it.

There is a welding shop in Florida that has some, but they are unable to tell me if the one's they have will fit the car without having mine in hand. Double to trouble now. lol

MikieP

I am quite certain that the tanks Boyd's makes are modeled on SE tanks - so I am sure they will fit your car, We also have some reconditioned OEM tanks which we are willing to sell - they would be a little less costly than the Boyd tanks,

I have removed and installed tanks - it is not an easy job even with the engine out of the car, It can be done with the engine in the car, but the cam towers have to come off (along with a lot of other stuff) to get the left tank out of the car and that is not a simple job.If you can find some experienced folks who would donate their labor and a shop where you can actually do the work this would be your best bet, With a team of experienced guys it should not take longer than a day or a day and a half to complete.

On 4/2/2014 at 00:26, MikieP said:

Looking to buy a pair of alum gas tanks. Turns out the first mechanic I took my Esprit to, a Jaime Goffaux here in Maryland, that actually called me to tell me I had them in the car back when he had the car in his Yesteryear Motors shop, has stolen them prior to handing the car over to my current repair shop and replaced them with completely rusted steel ones. TIA.

Recently, Jaime has surfaced up here:  http://www.drive-lab.com/about/about.htm