free hit
counters
My new S4s has let me down! - Page 10 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My new S4s has let me down!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks lads, for the input - its all as valuable as gold IMO. re: "if you are not fully committed to the car, either financially or emotionally, you should move it on" When I made the financ

Hello Stephen, Just had a look over the fairly recent postings of your thread and with fresh eyes offer the following. Clearly something quite grave is amiss with the engine and one would be unwi

I really do hope you get the outcome you desire on this car.   Frankly some of the comments on this thread have been acidic and damn right petty at best - I’ve not enjoyed reading some of these

Fingers crossed.

Not commented on this in a while as I'd made my point quite clear I think.

I hope they have indeed cured your problem permanently and you now get to enjoy your car.

Am excited to hear the news of what exactly has been done, and exactly what this mysterious part is.

Chunky Lover

• Gold FFM

Ok - the latest.....

Car will be outside my front door on Monday !

That's something to look forward to! Fingers crossed all is fixed as it should be.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

ok - I can safely reveal something now!

I have had to be careful as I've been on my hols for just over  week.  

Although not completely public - posting the fact that no-one is in your house on the world wide wait is a tad non-security based!

So sorry for having to hide that.

But I have some good news and some weird news.

Good:  Car was sitting in front of the house  - sparkling in the su

Weird: But completely unlocked!  

The 'non' news is that although it looks gleaming I have not driven it yet.

We've been up for far too long and I'm posting this having driven the stretch from Gatwick with red eyes!

It's a weird feeling - being excited to see it but being sensible not to glide around semi-concious in it!.

With hope it was driven here rather than on a lorry.

There are no signs of receipt or invoice or whatever - but i need to call the service dept sometime today  for a 'walk through' (quote).

So Mr Sensible allows me to star there ad admire the thing.

....for now!

(I also have my CCooler kit returned [boxed on driver seat])

I suspect they forgot to lock the thing before posting the keys.  D'Oh!

You can see from my grammar / post that it was a good idea I didn't jump into the thing when I got home  

Well - I drove it a few hours ago and - well - it sees like a different car! IT might be a 'natural exaggeration' in my mind but it seems smoother - especially at lower revs.  Also I stalled it twice and it jumped back into life with a quick twist of the key.

I will definitely not say that it is cured as I would be 'asking for it' - you know 'sods law'.

Blimey it looks nice though!!! 

So......

so far so good but I'm leaving it there for the moment if you don't mind!!!   ;-)

God, am I waiting for the credits to come rolling up the screen!

I have to say - they left the (unlocked) car gleaming and the leather is like new.  Which is nice.

air con works for know,

I noticed that the metal linkage thing in the middle of the engine was area (sorry for vagueness ) had been held i the up position (as when i was with you Sparkey).

lets hope it's solved!

Does anyone know how good those injector cleaning products are?

I see issues if they DO work....

1) It  dissolves the muck and then sends mess through the injectors 

2) It  dissolves the muck and then annoys the fuel pump

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~ohare/fuel.htm

Decent non-supermarket fuel keeps your injectors clean.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Cheers bibs!

BTW - when I said 'credits' I didn't mean everyone should give e lots of credits (now I read it, it looks that way) - I mean like the credits at the end of a film, i.e. to signify that the episode has finished

Anyway - took it to work yesterday and today and loved every minute.

Also -no fuel smell.

And - although I cannot say for sure - leaner on the petrol.

Of course it still needs the c cooler working but right now I'm v happy.

Now - if they could only change it so it's £1.39 / gallon I would never be at home......

Ok- enough - stop tempting fate.

P.S.  - There's an 'apple correct' spell check bit of my text:

"I noticed that the metal linkage thing in the middle of the engine was area"

​I meant to say that the metal linkage that runs under the red fat pipe was cable-locked into the up position

That piece of crap is from the throttle jacking capsule - an even more useless device that has rightfully been banished from your car.

Welcome to the cable-tie club. Mines also tied to the plenum.

I'm real glad you have your car back, you and your damn OZ Futuras. Lucky bastard.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Ah - so good to know that these little things (e.g. throttle jacking capsule, whatever that does!) is so common amongst Esprit drivers!

Thanks for you kind words - and the grin you left me regarding the OZ futuras!

Ok - time to hold some horses, as it were, need to own the car for a few weeks before the confidence raises fully.

Oh - and while i'm at it - the Stag is happy again now too.

Shiny Alternator (ebay)  not working, plus did not illuminate the IGN light so there were no clues regarding running on the battery (until the battery cockpit gauge came down to a sobering 9 volts! Yikes!)

Just in time for Bromley's pageant of motoring this weekend so I really need that Stag up and running.

Which leads me on to a proposal.

I recommend a trip to Bromley pageant of motoring this weekend.  It's massive and has all the cars you'd ever want to see.

And this year they're arranging it so if you arrive you are directed to a carpark area on grass with other 'same model' cars!

It MUST be done!!! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

And now I return to this thread.

"Oh no" I hear from the audience.

Ok - I might be a little paranoid but I thought I'd log this here so I can refer back to it if necessary - and I really hope that I don't have to refer back to this!

When I started the spree to come home, it felt lumpier than normal and each time I revved slightly it fought back and acted like a car that was 'missing'. It switched off too.  I restarted it and got it revving normally as if I'd "cleared it's throat".  If anyone has a tuned (real) mini they would know what i was talking about - it started like that.

It was a bit hesitant in places (revs that is) but I got home ok and it was good on the motorway.

What really worried me was - I turned the engine off and counted to 'one' and then turning the key would NOT start the engine.

I pulled the key out and reinserted it and it started.

The same condition happened again - engine would not start when switched off and turned on in succession.

Then I pulled the key out - put it back in - and it started with a bit of revs.

I drove round the block.

Ok - so the esprit engine is a highly tuned engine - it's not 'balance a coin on it's edge' like on the V8 stag - I expect and enjoy a bit of lumpiness.

I REALLY HOPE THIS WAS A ONE OFF!!!

Here's something that might be explained that happens sometimes.

If you start the engine it often turns off after 2 seconds - unless you apply a bit of revs to 'rescue' the engine, as it were.  Does that ring a bell? (not literally). It only happens on the first startup and its not an issue.

But the symptom today worries me - far too similar to the events that happened before.

Changes:  The only thing I did today was - at lunchtime - open the 'boot' - take off the cover and check the oil level (which was golden and just over the top level).  I put the engine cover back on and shut the boot.  That's it!!

Edited by Stimpy

Have you tried the clear flood mode? You might have leaking injectors which are drowning the engine in fuel?

Hold the gas pedal down fully with the ignition on, the engine will crank but not start to clear the remaining fuel. After a few seconds try starting it again? Although having an engine insta flood like that would be unusual...

Have you tried the clear flood mode? You might have leaking injectors which are drowning the engine in fuel?

Hold the gas pedal down fully with the ignition on, the engine will crank but not start to clear the remaining fuel. After a few seconds try starting it again? Although having an engine insta flood like that would be unusual...

I shall give that a go in a few moment.  I intend to give it a test drive once I've got the little one to bed.

Fancy a cringe?  Or an 'ooooh'?

This is horrible by the way.....

Coming out of the car park I ground one of the OZ's on the kerb!

Yes - I know 'how could you do such a thing?'

I consider myself a good driver and can park in the most ridiculously tight spots so this is unforgivable.

So - the other have has gone down to the nearest Tesco and bought some nail varnish (clear) - I'll remove the trace of kerb off the wheel and put a layer of nail varnish on just to stop any spread of peeling laquer. 

Not happy

Edited by Stimpy

www.lotusforsale.com

:)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

You ground a Futura into a kerb?! Sorry man, that's just not ok. Off to the DPRK labor camp with you!

On a more serious note, worse things have happened. I bet there's kerbing on at least one other wheel so you can get 'em refurbed in the future.

Check the fuel pump over-run protection shut off switch valve. That should do the trick.

Do I detect a few ounces of......  well ... you know!

Here's a thing....

They delivered my car back home at the end of my holiday (so it was nice to see the gleaming thing sitting there albeit with it's doors unlocked to the world) and got an email to say to talk to the service dept about the work carried out.

If you remember I had the air con sorted and the boot risers done as well as the remedial work.

I emailed the place and more or less offered to 'square up' regarding costs etc and I got no email back.

I still have no email and no request for money......

Maybe I should shut-up about that one for fear of tempting fate to land a letter in my post with a return address in Southampton!

You ground a Futura into a kerb?! Sorry man, that's just not ok. Off to the DPRK labor camp with you!

On a more serious note, worse things have happened. I bet there's kerbing on at least one other wheel so you can get 'em refurbed in the future.

At least 10 lashes would be justice, and I'm talking about myself!! 

Tried your idea - got in the car foot to the floor - starter - did not start (as I guess would be normal) then took my foot off the pedal and it started ok.  I did that twice before carrying out an excuse to drive the twisty roads of Buckinghamshire at happy speed.  All went well.

To quote the excellent band "Garbage" - "I think I'm paranoid" !

One thing that one takes for granted is how well sound proofed the esprit is.  A colleague mentioned she was behind me going out of the car park that I now hate with vengeance and said how noisy and loud (translated: magnificent and orchestral) the car is - yet when you put the windows up you'd think you were in a relaxed GT.  God I love Esprits!!