free hit
counters
My new S4s has let me down! - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Stimpy

My new S4s has let me down!

Well - I've done the 'start it and leave it idle for 3 minutes' and it was fine.

Still got to check out the cut off switch - having just had a C-service one hopes something like that will be ok.

Anyway - today's update:

Due to the missus needing the trusty Honda for a long work journey I was 'forced' to use the Esprit for work (the aim being 'resisting the urge to drive the lotus to work' based upon Shell share price rising every time I start it :-)

So - no issues today except the fuel smell which comes and goes.  I'll look into that at the weekend.

It has a lumpy tick over - but I expect that (I'm sure my previous s4s did that)

But here's a possible clue....

It seems to have a life of its own regarding tickover.

eg - driving to work the tick over was at 2k revs - thats way too much

driving home the tick over was 1k but after a motorway run it was 1.5k revs.

I'd like to take the idle revs down a bit.  On the stag it means turning two screws anticlockwise a quarter at a time.

Don't tell me......   I need the software and cable to alter the esprit tickover?!!?

Again - thanks to everyone for their contributions - I really hope I can return the favour to every one of you at some point.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Indeed I work in Ealing (I live in Loudwater - the Loudwater that's between High Wycombe and Beaconsfield - M40 j3).

The Ealing stage of my drive in/out of Ealing goes through "speed-hump city".  "drive to centre of road......aim.....FIRE!".  And don't ask about the car park (The Grove). That awful noise of plastic on tarmac going down the ramps.

Bloody good idea from Lotus - an exchangeable 'lip' on the front spoiler.

I had to get the elise 'clam shells' repaired/painted 3 times while I had it.   Not cheap!

As I mentioned before, the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) is what the ECU uses to regulate tickover. Take it off, clean it or order a new one, they're about £25.

Also, get freescan or Espritmon and a cable from Chris ('internets' on here). It's lunacy to own an Esprit without it and even more loony to try and diagnose a problem without it. With it, this would have been fixed or at least diagnosed in minutes, not weeks. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

You're absolutely right - Bibs - in fact I can't believe there's such an easy way of 'getting into' the ECU - When I had a Caterham I had to use a special cable and expensive software and it was complicated.  The esprit & it's systems is very - shall we say - "mature" - so much so it's easy to say that your recommendation is for something that's also matured/evolved over time.

I'll see if I can contact Chris via this board.  Thanks for the 'nudge' :-)

Reckon you need to get it over to my place in Watford on a Saturday.  Highly likely you'll find Chris here as well!

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Now *that* looks like a fantastic invitation !!

I don't think I have any  other commitments on Saturday but would you be up for that, then?  Say - 2pm or something ?

(at this point I'm thinking 'please say yes' !)

It's great that with great marques comes great support networks - the same is true of the Stag & mini - it's because their car is almost a living thing that is loved - if that makes sense (I can't imagine the same sort of conservations etc between mondeo owners)

Look forward to yor reply!]\

Steve

Yeah, come on down mate, and we can have a quick look over it.  I'll no doubt be outside cleaning mine up!

MoT will keep me busy until around 1030, but any time after that on Saturday is fine.   :D

• Like 1

:thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Is it safe to put email addresses on this board?  You know - with software that reads forums to get details of people.

I don't really want you to put your post code/address on public display (unless you have no issues with that).

Anyway - I'll obfuscate my email address a bit for you.

If you could send me an email to....

jobs

at

dragonsys.org.uk

then tell me where you are and I'll meet up with you.  It'll be great to meet up with a fellow Esprit admirer/owner!!!  Thanks for the invite!

I think PM's are the safest way to go if you don't wanna divulge your mail. That and the person you want to contact will likely receive an email about the PM. 

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

Hullo Steve, will PM you.  Although my details are pretty much public domain!

A bit late, but let me also welcome you to the forum! Too bad about the problem you're having, but as you have already experienced, help is never far away. And at least you (can) keep driving the car, which is a major factor both in finding the cause and keeping motivated. Most things have already been said by more experienced users. As for the high idle, have a look at the throttle jack (if still fitted). It is used to give a high idle after start-up to compensate for the EBPV that was put in to allow the cat to heat up quicker. It is vacuum activated and pulls on the throttle linkage, if it's sticking or otherwise malfunctioning, that will cause a high idle. I had this on mine, very annoying when driving out of the parking building. Since disconnected (the EBPV and cat were already removed by the PO) and secured the linkage well out of the way.

Incidentally, late last year we added a Stag to our carpark, for the missus. :thumbsup:  Great combo of cars, and both with a great community.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Vanya - yep, gone the PM route - should have thought about that in the first place I guess!   :turned:

TO 'Escape' - No problem being 'late' - I spend half my life doing that! Also - it's great to receive all these recommendations from yourself and every else on the board.  I'm meeting up with 1, but hopefully more than one, esprit fan on Saturday.  Hopefully all the acronyms and technical names can be pointed out to me on that meeting - I'll have to summarise those bits from all the posts made and have them pointed out to me - I can see myself making sketches of the engine bay with arrows and names!  I really must come up with a list of questions of this and other stuff too.  I'll think of it as a crash sours in earning to talk in a language called "esprit"!

Re - Stag....  They do look fantastic together - the Stag and Esprit.  Totally different designs, experiences, driving styles etc but - when  'waxed up'  - they both look stunning together.  Funny to think that they both come from the same era but to look at them the Stag definitely looks a proper 'classic' while the Lotus still looks like a modern super car.  Credit to Lotus for making a car way before it's time.  When I insured the car it felt odd having it insured under a classic scheme.  The upside is the cost of insurance but - of course - the downside is when the insurance firm classes it as a classic it makes *me* feel old!    Another great thing to point our is the music.  Start the two cars up and they both sound wonderful but totally different.  To those who have never heard a Stag singing - I recommend lowering the window next time one drives past on the other side of the road!!! 

Ok- here's a freaky finding  about the issue with my Esprit.  I realise that sharing the problem with fellow owners on Saturday will hopefully be beneficial - along with the monitoring software/hardware which I want to get but I thought I'd mention this little gem....

I drove it to work on Friday and when parking it and switching after my short journey (20 miles) I decided to try and start it up again,  With mass disappointment only the starter motor did anything! 

Don't ask me why but I thought of an idea.  After confirming it would not start I got out of the car - locked it - unlocked it - got in and started the car, which worked.

My thoughts went along the lines of suspecting that the disconnected immobiliser still had some influence on the car.

OF course it could be a coincidence.

So I drove it home at the end of the day and when I parked it at my home I turned it off then tried starting again.  I made several attempts.  Then I got out of the car, locked it, unlocked it and got back in and...... it started again!

Of course this doesn't answer the idling / fuel smell ad other behavioural issues and it could be a coincidence.

I need it to happen a 3rd time before it becoming a possible source of the problem.

Although the ignition side of things has been confirmed as being rewired to ignore the immobiliser may be there's another feature to the immobiliser that controls fuel delivery or something....

As I said - I need the pattern of events to happen at least a third time for the theory to jump to the top of the list.

Aftermarket immobilisers can be a real pain, especially if they have been disconnected by someone who didn't do the install or isn't familiar with the specific type. One of the first things I did on mine was to rip out all the aftermarket wiring under the dash (central locking with remote and some sort of immobiliser) and rewire from the ignition switch.

As a test, try starting the car with a cold engine, let it idle for just a minute or so, switch off and try to restart without locking and then after locking/unlocking. This will give you a third occurrence and will also rule out anything to do with a warmed up engine.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Will do.

Your post reminded me of something I haven't said which I guess is a key 'condition'

It's never failed while driving 'properly' (by 'properly'  I mean like 20+ mph or more rather than just starting up or being stationary or near stationary - if that makes sense).

Anyway - perhaps tomorrow 'more experienced eyes'  will notice something  :unworthy:

It's amazing how much we take for granted regarding the existence of the internet - how on earth would I get so much advice and offers of help without it?  Makes you realise how important it (the web) is.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday actually - there's never been a time in history where supercar ownership was this accessible. Imagine having an exotic in the 90s or early 2000's - if you live somewhere rural without an authorised workshop in the vicinity, it'd be a nightmare when something went wrong. Nowadays it's still a pain, but it takes almost no time before the problem is solved relatively speaking.

I suspect the dealerships would prefer it if the internet did not exist!  Parts? Ebay/forum member who happens to have the part.  Work (physical repair/fitting etc) Someone on this forum or Facebook offering to sort a problem free or a fair contribution for taking up there time)

Pre internet: Parts?  Lotus dealer - full price, plus ending up purchasing more than you needed.  Work?  Yup Lotus dealer at £75+ per hour and everyone must have got the phone call "Yes, Mr XXXXX, your Lotus - we noticed that YYYY is a bit worn - we recommend you let us replace it - that will be £ZZZ more and we'l have to keep it overnight.

How's the idle, Steve?

A brilliant example:

I met Gary (Sparky), Chris and Trevor - Hey! there you go - I remembered the names (bit of an 'in-joke' there).

Trevor - how many car alarms do you set off in your wake with that exhaust  :harhar: .  I have that problem with my mini - I drive it down the road and I can hear car alarms wailing away behind me!

Anyway - I met these very friendly people today and expanded my knowledge 500% !!!

They gave me advice about various things from the charge-cooler to making the air con work!

Thanks to the internet I got all this advice from 3 people that cost nothing and from people who don't have an anterior motive to sell me something.  although there *are* some fantastic dealership individuals - as I mentioned 'Taff' from SGT is a total genius.

Anyhoo - Thanks for the help fellas....

so 

- I need the rear 'cheese grater' under-car spoiler

- I need the aircon looked at which includes looking at two areas of the system (not just one)

- I need to find out where there's an air leak 

- I saw the edu software 'in action'.

A very insightful and valuable few hours in the presence of people who know what they are talking about!

But could I get the car do the fault that this post is about?  Could I f*** !!  Typical!

Since the ecu software said that all was ok (except the charge cooler - coming up) it might actually be the immobiliser.  

The major thing is - it doesn't look like anything "tragic"/expensive is about to happen!

The charge cooler pump seems to have decided not to work robbing me of quiet a few horses!!   So that's a definite 'to do'.

The idle was around 1k until I got home where it settled at about 1.4k - although I was 'giving it some' just before arriving home - if that makes a difference....

I'll see how it goes after a few drives

I'm going to PM you and Chris in a moment, btw.

High idle eh?

Off the top of my head:

1. Check the IAC valve - is it still screwed on or has one of the screws worked its way loose and the other one on its way to do the same as well? This was the case for my IAC and another dude on this forum. Strange problem but there you go. If it's loose or not sealed properly you'll get a high idle.

2. Of course check the thick red hoses at the chargecooler that they're nice and tight and no splits anywhere.

3. Removing the chargecooler will give you access to other hoses one of which I recall was attached to the fuel rail and vented off to the purge canister. This was split in my case as well and was replaced upon inspection. Get used to removing the unit as it makes life easier when doing a lot of tasks.

4. Check other connections such as the elbow to the MAP sensor (also right under the chargecooler, very thin hard plastic pipe with a rubber elbow which is usually cracked to bits due to age. Any and all hoses going into the plenum should really be checked for cracks.

5. Last but not least (an idiot check but important none the less..) - check that the throttle goes from 0 to 100 in freescan when possible and that the cable isn't simply maladjusted.

6. As a bonus while you're getting all dirty going through the above, check the hoses going from the wastegate to the boost solenoid in the boot - it's two flexible hoses going to the solenoid held on by clips (not clamps) - these I imagine are often split where the clips bite into then. Mine were when I checked the day before last. Also easy fix - silicone hose with the same inner diameter or just shorten the existing piece.

Did pretty much all that today! IAC good, chargecooler impeller buggered, MAP elbows both split with crap tape around them, still a slight vacuum leak, probably around the heater. Freescan OK, performance down due to chargecooler but wastegate may need renewal too. A couple of other little niggles sorted but no doubt a couple more things to look at...