free hit
counters
Garage pit to work on Esprit - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mike6

Garage pit to work on Esprit

Not specifically Esprit related but have been looking around at lifts etc to make it a bit easier to work underneath the car. Frankly the thought of having to put her on axle stands and clamour underneath doesn't excite me anymore - age related!.

Not sure my garage would accommodate the four poster lift that Dave Freeman has, height being a difficulty and the other designs I was looking at at last years NEC classic car show seem very overpriced and a bit heath robinson.

Have others got garage pits and if so are they any good for working under the Esprit, where did you get them and how much should I be looking at to put one in.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pits are a royal pain in the arse to work in....... grubby little spaces, and you're up and down like a whore's drawer's getting kit from tool boxes.....

I'd rather do a clutch change with a pair of tweezers. 

Chris

What do you mean exactly for a car?  Can you find one and send us a link.  Could be interested in something like this as I do all my maintenance.  Thanks very much if you can

Phil

Not that I am recommending it but my grandad used to have an old bath tub set in the floor of his garage that was his pit!

I have a pit, only 3 feet wide, 10 feet long and 4 feet deep. It's not wide enough, I cannot get to suspension components. It's not long enough to get to the oil bits at both ends without moving the car and not deep enough to stand under the car.

I purchased Dave's old Lovo-Artis ramps and it supplements the pit, I can lean out from the pit to get to suspension items, out far enough to get to some of the bits at the far end (I have to leave the car not covering the front end of the pit so as to get out) and it's nearly high enough to stand under the car (18 inches ramps, 4 feet (ish) pit + ground clearance).

I find it much easier to work using Carstages tilting ramps.

So pit isnt recommended. March can you ley me have details of that scissor lift

And me please.  Looks good

Phil

If it isnt too expensive we could negotiate a discount plus if other want one as well. 

The scissor lift is from Automotech Services Ltd and is an AS-7630 (or was when I bought it). Their website is:

www.automotechservices.co.uk

The lift I have is capable of lifting 2.7 tons although I have not had the nerve to test it with my Range Rover and was £995 + VAT at the time. Overall it has proven very good although you do need to watch the center of balance (if that is the correct term) as it moves as the scissors raise - I have since turned the lift around from the way it is in the photo which is a lot better for a rear / mid engined car. Oh and its also bloody heavy.

At the time there were slightly cheaper products out there - direct imports from china, ebay, etc. but this one was rated to a higher capacity and there was someone at the end of the phone who knew about the product, how it worked and was able to supply spares if required. Anyway have a look at their website and make your own mind up - they supply all different types of lift.

If you have any questions let me know, hope this helped.

Marc

Edited by march

I too have got a scissor lift and have to say that they're invaluable - especially if you've got the option to drag it outside as required in order to exploit its full ability:

post-11916-0-44014600-1397545722.jpg

Earth to Discovery. Earth to Discovery. Do you read? Over.

Mike

More than I thought.  probably cant really justify.  Looks like electric pump.  Maybe with a hand pump would make it cheaper.

Phil

It is expensive and by the looks of it the car is supported using the corner jacking points.I always try to avoid using these other than for a roadside wheel change. They are notoriously fragile and I thought they were for only for emergency jacking use not to suspend the car for any length of it.

Perhaps March could confirm this before I make a decision one way or the other.

Hi,

The car is not supported on the jacking points but on structural parts of the car. I use the points used when it was with South West Lotus and on their lifts - basically underneath by the edge of the wheel arches - I can take photos if it would help - just let me know.

Just to reiterate the lift has been invaluable and I would definitely recommend one.

Marc

Just picked up on this post, I have been looking at different options and must say Marc's lift looks great! I was seriously looking at two post lifts then looked at the Hamer 4 post manual lift as I could keep both Esprit's in the garage together, I spoke to the rep at the NEC last week, trouble is the manual operation so a bit of a pain for the money.

I will keep my options open but certainly going to investigate the scissor lift too now.

Many Thanks

Dave :)