free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit S2 and S3 Side Mirrors - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
1984_lotus_esprit

Lotus Esprit S2 and S3 Side Mirrors

The ratchet mechanism in my S3 Turbo's side mirrors don't move the

mirror well...its easier to reach out the window to adjust the mirror.

Has anyone ever found a good looking replacement for these?

:rolleyes:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

:D

I also need a drivers side mirror for an S3. Mechanism is ok but the casing is damaged. (By some wnkr who decided to break it off on the way home from pub or whatever).

Seem to be quite thin on the ground. Anybody help?

............. that's fightingtorque!!!

www.fightingtorque.com

I also need a drivers side mirror for an S3. Mechanism is ok but the casing is damaged. (By some wnkr who decided to break it off on the way home from pub or whatever).

Seem to be quite thin on the ground. Anybody help?

Not sure about a replacement.

Is it not possible to repair the the casing? Using a bit filler or fibre glass matting etc.? Then prime and paint it?

banner-1.jpg

:D

I have got Audi 80 mirrors on mine.

They are a similar(ish) shape and with an adaptor moulded to the bottom easy to fit.

Have a look on my LEW owners page for some pics

Andy

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Ray once suggested they look incredibly similar to a particular incarnation of Taxi wing mirrors...

taxi2.jpgmirror.jpg

...I think he has a b100dy good point!!

Could we have FINALLY solved the eternal unobtainable Wing Mirror problem? :(

We could either make a killing in selling Taxi mirrors second hand.... or once the word gets around, the bottom will drop out of the existing mirror market! :(

....bearing in mind I have just told the world's biggest Esprit club! lmao :(

[EDIT] Having looked at the pictures side by side a bit longer... I'm off to find a Taxi breaker and buy the entire world's stock of the bu99ers! :D

[EDIT EDIT!] Being the benevolent soul that I am, here's a search result for a bunch of Taxi Spares places http://www.carpages.co.uk/results.asp?search=Taxi+Parts

and http://www.taxi-mart.co.uk/

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

They look alot like the mirrors that were available on the Ford Granada Ghias in the 70s/80s.

The mirrors Fishy shows are not the same as the mirrors my car was built with.

They have a different design plinth and adjust using a small solanoid "kicker" mechanism.

SUNP0003-1.jpg

From what I can gather, they were fitted to the "Fairway" black Taxi and were definitely on models sold in 1991 and 1996 and possibly earlier and later.... (I don't know the model's history?)

I've also managed to ascertain that the Fairway was made by Peugeot... so *IF* they're the same then maybe they're from some other Peugeot model?

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

They look pretty darned smiliar to me! Mine are the same as I've seen on every other Turbo (etc) :D

There is that small 'extra' plinth on the bottom on the cab - is that what you are calling a 'kicker'? It looks to me like it's just a 'bracket' / adaptor.

Am I missing something?

3 good suggestions gents, thanks. I have glassed it back together but I did it as a quick fix expecting to be able to buy a new one easily, and I have consequently made the doing of a better repair more difficult - it can't be rotated on the base anymore because of the way I did it.

I originally assumed they would be Morris Marina just to match the door handles, but Taxi is an equally random choice.

I find it unlikely they were specials just for Lotus - if they were, why didn't they do something more interesting with the design - you have to admit they're pretty boring compared to the rest of the car.

Hilly, looked at your page, awesome car.

www.fightingtorque.com

Hi all i think the mirrors be longed to ford capri of that time might be wrong mike s3

They look pretty darned smiliar to me! Mine are the same as I've seen on every other Turbo (etc) :D

There is that small 'extra' plinth on the bottom on the cab - is that what you are calling a 'kicker'? It looks to me like it's just a 'bracket' / adaptor.

Am I missing something?

Fishy, the parts book says the mirrors on mine A079U6052F were prior to vin 82D2137 (the one on the right in the illustration)

The other type (as on your car)was used after that vin.

The kicker is the mechanism that moves the mirror glass.

Espritdoormirrors.jpg

SUNP0003-1.jpg

The later type, fitted to a lot of post 85 S3's. I to have seen these on a mid 80s Ford Capri.

As for the other type, I which believe whas fitted to the pre 85 s3s, inc S2's I think, I have yet to identify. But I have noticed there has was no consitancy with the fitting of these two types for the earlier S3s. It seams to be what was available in the parts bin at the time between the two types. or maybe what owners have fitted as replacements.

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

Fishy, the parts book says the mirrors on mine A079U6052F were prior to vin 82D2137 (the one on the right in the illustration)

The other type (as on your car)was used after that vin.

The kicker is the mechanism that moves the mirror glass.

Espritdoormirrors.jpg

The one on the right was manufactured by a company called Autosafe, so I assume they were an accessory not confined to Lotus. They were fitted to the Elite/Eclat as well as the late 70s Esprits, and it was intereting that road testers of the time complained of them taking on a "droop" even when new.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Two different types fitted at semi random - no surprises there then!! :P

Wat it does mean though is that it gives people more options for replacement without them being completely 'wrong' for the more purist types out there :P

The joy of working in central London is all the cabs I pass parked up on my way home. Passed a Fairway and took these pics and then took similiar ones of mine when I got home (I have high res ones if anyone needs them for closer comparison?)

...as I said previously - the Fairway was made by Peugeot so they will probably feature on one of their cars...

Embarassingly my Mum has a Capri and I have *never* noticed her wing mirrors :D I shall take a look in a minute :)

DSC00555.jpgDSC00558.jpg

DSC00556.jpgDSC00559.jpg

DSC00557.jpgDSC00560.jpg

Ok had looked on Autotrader at every Peugeot model and no match!

Looked up the Capri and found a Ford Capri 1984 2.8i Special and a 1981 Special both of which looked like they had the same as mine.

There's another 1981 that has different ones though.

So I guess we're narrowing down some sources of ones like mine :D

If you're a die hard for the specific ones like Wayne's then I'm afraid it's back to square one for you lot :P

IMHO For anyone with an irreparable mirror(s) - I think you now have options at least :)

OK!!!

I have just spoken to a man who is an expert on Fairway cabs!

He is 90% sure he has a mirror (I don't know which side yet!) brand new in a box, sitting on a shelf.

When I mentioned I didn't know much about Fairways, the first thing he asked was if it was for a Capri! It looks like they were also possibly fitted to the FX4R and FX4S.

They ARE electric.

He is going to get back to me in a few days with more info as to whether they have any - either new or taken from a cab.

It looks like I may well have found a possible source of at least a few door mirrors :D

The cabs were made by a company called 'Car Bodies' in Coventry.

I'm going to put some rather excessive information and a host of links here so that should anyone search this topic in future, there's as much of what I found archived as possible :)

"Carbodies Ltd made a name for itself as a supplier to Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Ford, Daimler, Humber and Singer."

"In 1973, Carbodies was acquired by Manganese Bronze, the British-owned engineering and automotive components firm. Mann & Overton was added to the Manganese Bronze fold in 1984 and a new company, London Taxis International, was established.

The biggest facelift to the black cab came in 1989 with the introduction of the Fairway, designed to provide access for wheelchair users in line with new legislation. This model featured the Nissan 2.7-litre diesel for the time, an engine whose reliability and ease of maintenance has endeared itself to the taxi trade.

The Fairway continued in production until 7 October this year, when the last model rolled off the production line in Coventry. Its replacement, the much more advanced TX1, will be launched at the London Motor Show on 14 October."

(some more info on them) http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?concarbodiesf.htm

http://www.lvta.co.uk/

http://www.lti.co.uk/

Here is a picture of the mounting plastic bit from my '82 S3 not sure if the Ford part number on it will help identify the wing mirror?

wingmirror.jpg

It looks like Fishy has found it though! :D

banner-1.jpg

Good work!

How on earth has no one ever noticed / posted that one?! :D

YOU GUYS ARE ACE!!!!!!!

I HERE MI5 ARE RECRUITING STAFF. THE INVESTIGATION WORK PUT IN ON THIS FORUM IS EXCELLENT.

ANYONE OUT THERE CALLED BOND.

ANYONE OUT THERE CALLED BOND.

waittaminit! :D

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

I feel so enlightened now Fishy has educated me in the history of the black cab. :D

So you guys have FOMOCO mirrors and I have the Autosafe ones. cant find any info about that manufacturer though (or if they have a dozen lying around in a dusty box. :)

PB140019.jpg

SUNP0003-1.jpg

I have the autosafe ones. So I need to either repair the existing one, or replace both. As has been said, originality shouldn't be an issue since they were random, although the bolt spacing is going to be different and because the autosafe has a bigger base I will have to check whether there will be a 'wear' mark or not.

Anyway, thanks for all the info. Great.

www.fightingtorque.com

As this thread is now 10 years old, i wonder if there is any update on wing mirrors. Im looking for replacements. I too have the plastic mount the same as Goose, with the same reference number. I contacted someone on ebay selling a replacement wing mirror to get the gap between the bolts but its too small.

Another random update as I have the 'Autosafe' mirror on my Elite S2, also posted in the Elite/Eclat/Excel forum.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I think I've found another vehicle that used the same door mirrors as the Elite/Eclat/Esprit S2. I was wandering round the British Motor Museum earlier today and found them on a Vanden Plas 2200 from the early 70s. Unfortunately it was only a prototype! I don't believe other cars from the Princess range used the same mirrors - they are fully chromed and look slimmer. On the Vanden Plas prototype only the stem is chromed. Here's a picture:

IMG_1911.JPG

• Like 1