free hit
counters
Anyone had a go at upholstering, doesn't look that hard? - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Anyone had a go at upholstering, doesn't look that hard?

Thanks Charlie, ruching the sides was one of those head scratchy moments... Fortunately I also have a Mum who used to be a seamstress/upholsterer, so I kind of grew up with it. In all honestly there's a couple of bits I need to redo, so thanks to Christ for the skiving info.

Tyson in southall do second hand ones, on a table with 1/2 hp motor( got mine to do a boat canopy way back when, just never got round to getting rid til last month!). They're worth a try if you go that way but IIRC you're not going the leather route, so I'd stand by the " use what u got" idea, at least for a test item...

Simon, I've read your info appreciatively, it's certainly inspired to to get a move on. I'll be travelling from Bangor to Lincoln early July, and would love to see your car in the flesh if poss..?

Dave

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've been looking into machines and almost laid out on one yesterday until I saw a video on youtube. The video shows a fairly standard machine, semi industrial but the lady in the video installs a walking foot attachment to it. It seems as if most semi industrial machines can have the walking foot attachment just have to find one for your model. Considering I aim to do only one interior, a sub £150 should be sufficient. If I get good at this then I will look at getting a better machine. Can't wait to have a go! 

DaveyT, can I ask how you managed to get the headrests inserted, that's my biggest fear at the moment?

If you want some brushed nylon that is heavier, but quite similar to the original have a look at:

http://www.automobiletrim.com/seating-fabric.html

I *think* these were the guys I bought a roll from, at a pretty reasonable price.

Of course, you may think of reasons you don't want originality in this area :-)

Hi Charlie, sorry for the delay, been moving house and got no wifi here yet...

When you say "inserted the headrests", do you mean fitting the foam into the covering pouch? If so, I think they basically just squeezed in... Headrest cover is separate from main seat, disguised by the band that clips on at the rear.

Sorry not to be more accurate, but if had been any more difficult than that I'm sure I'd have remembered, and I'm sure I didn't need to do any hand stitching on them.

Dave

• Like 1

My original brushed nylon covers had the headrests all stitched in.  It was a struggle getting them over the headrests, but I found a handy trick.  If you put a supermarket-type plastic bag over the headrest foam, it reduces the friction and makes it much easier to slide the cover over.  You can then pull down on the plastic bag to rip it off, without removing the cover.

Herc

• Like 1

Cheers guys, I've heard of that trick with the plastic bag before, from what I can see on an original Elite front seat is that the seat the headrests and seat cover are one piece which must be a ball ache to cover in one hit. Anyway  all great advice and hopefully I will give it a go. Long way away yet though, discovering more mechanical problems as I work my way through this car.  :laser:

Hi, had a go myself, my mum taught me to use a Singer a long time ago, its a lot harder than it looks, gave up in the end as I kept snapping needles, just bought another car with a good interior. Got a couple of seats that need doing , keep the forum posted you could have some customers.

John

• 1 year later...

Dear All:

My wife and I are starting the reupholstery process. Everything is coming apart nicely, but we are now to the front seatbacks. How do you remove the upholstery on the front seatback? Specifically, how do you get it over the headrest without destroying it?

Sincerely,

Algirdas