free hit
counters
Ride on Mower - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

Ride on Mower

Any buying advice?

I don't really need one since we've got a gardener but I'm thinking if the lawns are cut much quicker it'll leave more time for them to tend to the rest of the garden.

I really like the look of this one but don't really fancy spending £16k sadly! 

$_12.JPG

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

How many acres of lawn do you have at Chateau Bibs?

I have been happy with this one

https://www.deere.co.uk/wps/dcom/en_GB/products/equipment/riding_lawn_equipment/x100_series/x145/x145.page?

It saves a huge amount of time compared to my old mower - its fairy fast (V twin engine), has a wide 48" cutting deck & mulches the grass so no bag to empty.

At some point in every blokes life you need to own a sit on mower..... difficult to explain / justify so just trust me.  

2 acres.

Like the colour scheme :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

Its perfect for 2 acres & even has a cup holder.   Best time to buy a mower though is Nov / Dec when the dealers are desperate rather than now when the grass is starting to grow.

$400 used on Craigslist.  42" cut. All I'll ever need (and want to store) And that price included the bagger for leaves in the fall (mulching blades during summer).   ;)

sears_lt100-1.jpg

Edited by comem47

Lots of variables to consider

Level or Sloping Ground?  Level easy, anything will do it, Sloping needs 4WD and sometimes more

Straight runs or fiddly bits around beds and trees?  Straight runs easy, anything will do it, Fiddly bits easier with Articulated or Zero Turn. 

Easy access anything will do, under trees/shrubs/etc an out front deck is much better.

And what about the clippings? Collect, Discharge, Mulch?  Collect means a long machine not ideal for fiddly or tight turns and you'll need somewhere to dump a lot of grass clippings; Discharge is easy, anything will do it; Mulch means cutting often and only ever 1/3rd of the length of the grass - but gets the best result!

The easier your criteria, the more any of the options and cheaper stuff will do what you need.  As requirements get harder, costs escalate and the better brands are the only place to shop.

If your requirements suit a mid deck side discharge 2WD then Alan's John Deere suggestion could be very good.

I like Stiga (though I haven't got one, I did have one on demo for a week or two!).  They have out front decks which means you can see what you're cutting and an articulated tractor for tight turning.   Probably about 1k more for the equivalent machine to the JD.

Avoid the cheapest of the cheap.  Eg the bottom of the range Mountfields have nylon gearboxes which are about as robust as a chocolate teapot.  The £1500 upwards ones are OK though..  If you can find a good local ground care dealer then go and have a chat.  Best buys are often ex demos or lightly used trade ins which are often masses under their normal retail price.

If your space is like mine....then get an Aebi TC7 - its just fantastic on the steep slopes...

Good luck matey - give me a bell if you want to chat about some options.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Cheaper than 16K

Roundup-Pro-Concentrate-300x300.jpg

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

I would go for a flock of sheep, far cheaper, grass is gone with only recycling material left over. Second, Third and Fourth use.

Wool for next years tank top.

Meat for the table

Free issue of lambs for the following season if you get a Tup.

If you realy want to go Greem on your paddock then you could also get Laura to spinn the yarn for a third income. 

Grass cutting issue sorted.

I have a nice gentleman who comes every 2nd week. Brings mower, own fuel, takes grass cuttings wih him. I don't own a mower.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

See if you can read my first post again Roger.

Evora NA

No?

hot-rodding-in-a-john-deere-lawnmower.jp

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I have a very ancient lowest-of-the-low Mountfield. If I manage to cut both areas of grass without having to rebuild it, it is cause for jubilation....it has proved to be a brilliant way to get bags of welding practise, too! Just gave it a new blade....cuts nicely now....the engine needs a look at, the fuel tank leaks a bit, the steering has been welded three times, the cutter deck is a mass of more weld than original steel, the drive belts have all been replaced, the gearbox rebuilt (machine predates nylon gears!) I paid £100 for it back in 2000 and wouldn't be without it. Fits nicely into the greasy-fingernailed-ethos......removed the governor and it'll mow at 20+mph. Need good reflexes for that.....

Like the look of the $400 Craigslist special.......!! 

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I think I know why Bibs was attracted to that big $ machine in the original posting. Looks like the JCB farm tractors that share the windscreen of the Early Esprits.    ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe5ldu2jB2E

See if you can read my first post again Roger.

Where was the clue?

Bibs has given up the beer, and wants to fill the time he used to spend in the pub cutting the grass. No he wants to buy a mower so someone else can use it.

My grass got cut today, and I didn't raise a sweat. And the 4-500 I'd have spend on a mower is in the bank earning interest. :smoke:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

No need for a gym membership with this choice...

mowercycle23.jpg

• Like 1

'Some' very good advice, thanks chaps (especially Mike & Alan :lol:)

Evora NA

Love that fact that Mike's "bike-mower" has about 21 gears for when you really get some speed up!

:-D

Well I bought a new mower. My ride on is pretty old and very fcuked!

I wanted the husqvarna 4wd articulated front deck, but budget only let me get the walk behind.

It looks lovely, got a decent cutting deck and variable speed drive, mulch/collect/side discharge option.

Not what I ultimately wanted but it's been a hellishly expensive 4 weeks with one thing and another. Plus I'm getting fat again and could do with the extra exercise! so could ebony.

Happy birthday to me!

Chunky Lover

Nice wheels :D

Evora NA

Thanks dudes,

Front wheel drive so no doughnuts in the garden!

Hopefully I can find some time to get the ride on stripped and working again for next year, keep the new one for the banks and difficult stuff then.

Chunky Lover

Love that cycle mower its ace! Could get messy if the dog has been out though lol. Always liked this one from a few years back - now if only they could manufacture a sit on version. :D

photo-691.jpg

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

So.....

I'm half way around my garden and I'm fcuking hanging?

Ive so got to get my ride on fixed or earn a lot if money and buy a new one. I can't do this every 2 weeks, no way, no how.

Read loads of people saying 4wd walk behind mowers are just hyped up tosh and not needed, shit, etc......

Well they can come have a bash on my lawn cause I wish I'd imported one now..... :(

Chunky Lover