free hit
counters
129G restoration - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

129G restoration

These are for you Vin and Giorgio as you both asked about my car a while back. This is what it looks like today - I painted it last summer and I've spent a few months colour sanding and buffing out all the dead flies and runs hahaha

2h6x6dl.jpg

1z6efcz.jpg

2pyx5k2.jpg

2e33ksg.jpg

m55qv.jpg

2ls9u28.jpg

j7d9qa.jpg

7 years and counting now...

Cheers, Paul.

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes Dave the mini got its first MOT in over 10 years about a week ago :) Still a few little jobs to complete before the London to Brighton next month but I now have a bit more time to devote to the Esprit.

Cheers Paul.

I may want some advice soon Paul as currently searching for a decent classic auto mini for the wife :)

Are you still doing the E Type as well or is that a future project? The London to Brighton sounds like great fun, is your daughter doing the drive?

Dave :)

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Yep I still have my e-type waiting in line.

We'll probably share the driving and I'll do the bit through London. My daughter loves the thing but I wouldn't want to drive one, they're as noisy as hell.  I get the whole retro thing but driving a car with drum brakes in today's traffic is an experience hahaha

Fantastic job Paul.

Takes me back to my restoration. I miss those days. Mine is 127G. I love the way you've got the bonnet shut line perfect. Most of the early cars have the front left edge sticking up slightly.

If your going to fit a new windscreen, get in touch with me and i'll give you the details where you can get one in clear with the correct XXX marking.

keep up the good work!

Fantastic job Paul.

Takes me back to my restoration. I miss those days. Mine is 127G. I love the way you've got the bonnet shut line perfect. Most of the early cars have the front left edge sticking up slightly.

If your going to fit a new windscreen, get in touch with me and i'll give you the details where you can get one in clear with the correct XXX marking.

keep up the good work!

You have no idea how much trouble I went to to get the bonnet to fit!! The hinge locations were badly damaged on my bonnet so I made a new section from scratch (which included creating the mould and given that I had nothing to copy that was a task in itself!) which ran the entire width of the bonnet and incorporated the hinge locations. I then removed the old section from the bonnet and bonded in the new one but during the process I made wooden formers to re-profile the bonnet so that the leading edge matched the shape of the body at the front...

iokjs6.jpg

With a lick of paint it's difficult to tell...

sbsb50.jpg

I bought a windscreen from Pilkingtons about 5 years ago and one of these days I'll get round to fitting it...

Where is your car now?

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Wow, an Esprit Superlight, first time I've ever seen one!

A big congrats and thanks to all the owners restoring the early Esprits, without you many of the cars would be lost forever. The workmanship we are witnessing is astounding and better than when the cars were new. Thankfully the days of Esprits being parted out seems long gone and there is a new era where the cars are appreciated for their greatness.

Great job Paul and thanks for the pics.

It would be a good idea to mount your finished body on my freshly finished chassis....this way you will save seven years in the restoration and me too..... :help: :help: :help:

Ciao

Giorgio

The chassis has been done for a while now Giorgio...

qxlwnk.jpg

In fact it's been so long it'll probably need doing again before I finish the rest of it!! The engine needs rebuilding and so do the carbs but that's pretty much it for the mechanicals.

Roo - I paid £2,000 for it and it was 99% complete/original with centre ashtray and pod mirror. Those days are long gone!! I'm planning on being buried in it, just hope I get to drive it first ;)

And before anybody tells me to replace that red clutch hose it's braided but red to match the original colour :)

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

I can tell that a lot of hard work has gone into that bonnet, and it looks well worth it. My cars left mounting needs fix in too. Someday I hope to be able to "re-profile" mine. It will need it. Keep those formers please, they just might come in useful  :scared:

My S1 lives at my brothers house in Southgate, N.London. I decided not to take it to Cyprus. I felt it was a shame to bring it over here to Cyprus. If your ever in the area, give him a call.

Text me or email me for his details. (+357 99404576 or c.herodotou@hotmail.com)

His name is Roddy. He goes to a lot of shows. Don't know if you've ever met him. He's a big fanatic too! He has a few Lotus too. 

What are you planning to do with your interior? You going to take it to Stephen Fulcher?

I can tell that a lot of hard work has gone into that bonnet, and it looks well worth it. My cars left mounting needs fix in too. Someday I hope to be able to "re-profile" mine. It will need it. Keep those formers please, they just might come in useful  :scared:

My S1 lives at my brothers house in Southgate, N.London. I decided not to take it to Cyprus. I felt it was a shame to bring it over here to Cyprus. If your ever in the area, give him a call.

Text me or email me for his details. (+357 99404576 or c.herodotou@hotmail.com)

His name is Roddy. He goes to a lot of shows. Don't know if you've ever met him. He's a big fanatic too! He has a few Lotus too. 

What are you planning to do with your interior? You going to take it to Stephen Fulcher?

Sorry Cos the formers are long gone.

Re interior - no I'm doing it all myself with the aid of my wife. I haven't done that much but here are the seats...

35mr79c.jpg

Paul.

Not wanting to knock any of the other marques that you are restoring, but 70s and 80s lotus restorations are rare things. There are probably only ever a handful being carried out at any one time anywhere in the word!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi Paul,

Have you put the finishers back on yet. If so did you fit the silver plastic trim on the inside edge and did you have to cut the plastic moulding to fit it? Any pictures would be great, just coming up to putting these bits on, like all this Lotus there no guidance!cheers.