free hit
counters
Alternative gearbox oil - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I've heard some have changed the standard gearbox oil for an alternative one to improve the gear change - anyone know what to use, as the factory only recommend the one.

The cables on my Evora have been replaced and carefully adjusted but I still have the odd sticky change from 3rd to 2nd and on fast up changes.  I replaced the oil on my Elise and it gave a decent improvement on a previously sticky 3rd to 2nd change so thought I'd give it a try.

It's a March 2011 manual S.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took some advice from Opie Oils on this.  They recommended a fully synthetic 75W80 but not the basic Motul Motylgear - either a Red Line, Amsoil or Fuchs oil.  In view of my sticky 3rd to 2nd change

I use Redline MT 90 on my exige 380 cup and it s much better Those oils are specifically formulated to make synchronizers work better and that s what s effective in that kind of gearbox From

Interesting with the Redline Shockproof. I went a similar, but different, route using the Mobil Mobilube 1 SHC 75W-90 with Lindemann TA transmission additive. http://www.lindemann.dk/industrial-produc

You can use motul gear 300 75W90. That is a fully synthetic gear oil.

In my cup260 I used Motul gear 300 75W140 that is even more stable at high temperatures. I'm sure you can use that too.

Or Redline 75W90. That is also often used in the 4 cylinder exiges wich often have gearbox problems at higher hp levels. For my exige v6 I also have planned to change the gearbox oil to the motul 75W140.

Edited by rasasoufe
  • 1 month later...

I took some advice from Opie Oils on this.  They recommended a fully synthetic 75W80 but not the basic Motul Motylgear - either a Red Line, Amsoil or Fuchs oil.  In view of my sticky 3rd to 2nd change and occasional track use they recommended the Red Line one.  It's Red Line Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant MTL 75W-80 GL4 http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1019-red-line-synthetic-manual-transmission-lubricant-mtl-75w-80-gl4.aspx

I had this done last week and there's been a slight but noticeable difference in the gear change, particularly in the 3rd to 2nd down shift.  I'll see how it feels over my several hundred mile trip to, around and from the Isle of Man at the end of the month.

Interestingly the old gearbox oil was very discoloured and dirty.  The car is just over 3 years old and has done about 14,000 miles including 6 track days.  Despite the service schedule saying to change it every 4 years, Back On Track are now recommending I change it more frequently, probably every 12-24 months.

Opie are aware of at least one Evora owner using the Motul Gear 300 75W90 and although this is a good oil in their opinion, they don't know why they used 75W90 rather than 75W80.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Tom, have you noticed your gear change being better or worse in the summer. Even when warm?

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Watching this thread with interest, as changed from standard gearbox and diff oil on a previous caterham, with improved gear change and less transmission noise.

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Colin, I hadn't noticed any difference due to ambient temperature.  It used to be stiffer just after starting up until the oil had come up to temperature but it isn't such a big difference with the new oil.

• Gold FFM

Thanks tom. My change is a little bit stiff when car is cold in the winter, but ok in summer. It's due a gearbox oil change next service so might get Jez to switch the oil at that time.

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

• 3 months later...

Just had Steve Williams replace my gearbox oil with Red Line MTL 75W80 after about 3.5 years and 16,000 miles. Most obvious difference is the gearbox is much quieter at lower revs. Gear change feels smoother (already had the new cables fitted and lots of adjustments made), but acid test will be when the outside temperature drops. I think the oil Lotus recommend is mainly aimed at commercial trucks to reduce oil change intervals and improve fuel efficiency. May be a perfectly good gearbox oil, but I suspect Lotus chose it as much to provide a solid back up to the three year warranty as anything else. Either way, I would suggest changing the oil more frequently than every four years. The gearbox is probably the weakest link so a bit of TLC should pay off.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I use Redline MT 90 on my exige 380 cup and it s much better

Those oils are specifically formulated to make synchronizers work better and that s what s effective in that kind of gearbox

Frome Redline you can choose between MTL MT 85 or MT 90 depending on the use ( street or track ) and the outside temperatures

This gearbox was not really intended for a sport car use so it s difficult to know what will be better for track use

I still noticed after using the Redline MT 90 that after many aggressive laps on track it so at higher temperatures it once slightly crunched when shifting to 4th gear

After that I replaced the complete clutch ( and brake ) fluid with castrol srf and it didn t make it again so it s really good to replace the clutch fluid with something better for track use

Motul gear 300 is also a really good and recommended oil

I never used something as 75w140 and would like to know if it s better for track use and still ok for the synchronizer

• Like 1

Interesting with the Redline Shockproof. I went a similar, but different, route using the Mobil Mobilube 1 SHC 75W-90 with Lindemann TA transmission additive. http://www.lindemann.dk/industrial-products/ta-manual-gearbox-differential-treatment-with-teflon/

It is frequently used in motorsport by people around here and the difference in transmission losses can clearly be seen on the dyno.

Anyhow, I experienced the well documented loss of synchromesh functionality on trackdays with the standard gearbox oil, especially going to 3:rd, but so far I haven't experienced any tendencies yet after the oil change. 

• Like 1