free hit
counters
gear change adjustment - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

gear change adjustment

• Gold FFM

My S3 gearchange is fine and the adjustment seems pretty good as gets all gears no problem but now finding it very hard to get OUT of 2nd and reverse, which is strange as it is usally a problem finding gears, any ideas folks otherwise it's fine.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've had a peer at the Servicing Notes....I suggest you take the top off the gearbox and check the gear selectors. The selector mechanism moves towards the rear of the box for both second and reverse...and the internal interlock plungers at the front of the selectors, working across the box, are involved in both 2nd speed and reverse speed selection....and holding them there and preventing other gears from being selected at the same time. Since it's 2 and R that you have problems with , I'd look here first. If you get the top off the box (make sure it's all squeaky clean first!) then you can play around selecting gears, removing the top and prodding the innards, putting the top back on temporarily and trying out all the combinations. This might give you some ideas!

Simply selecting the gears and staring at the bits often helps.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

Thanks but I am a bit dubious if it's a gearbox problem as all was fine before removal and replacement, all thats been done is I have changed all the bushes on the linkage and since then it has gone tight, it feels like the forward/backward movement is being restricted or catching on something which I find strange. Everything was disconnected at one point so I wonder if something has been crossed over in the tunnel while the engine was out and all the hoses disconneted at the same time but I can see nothing obvious.

I see....yes, it is most likely that the linkage hasn't gone back properly. Grovelling time....get on your back underneath it and peer at the linkage whilst you Glamourous Assistant selects the gears....then you'll see what's going on. There are a couple of placdes where the linkage can go the wrong side of things....the transfer lever on the motor mount and the wrong side of the rear brake disc, for example. Try disconnecting the linkage at the gearbox and then see what it feels like....is it all free to move or do you have stiffness/restrictions? 

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I'm with Molemot, disconnect the linkage at the selector arm on the transmission and see how it feels directly on the transmission. It will a rule out anything expensive and scary broken in there if it feels fine. Then you'll know for sure it something on the linkage. Might also want to take a peak at the selector in the car and make sure nothing has ended up out of place in there.

• Gold FFM

Thanks again guys, always get positve ideas on here. I disconnected the rod from the gearbox and it slips in and out of all gears fine so it has to be in the linkage somewhere, just cant see it.

• Gold FFM

Just disconnected the forward leaver from the engine mount point and U can hear the rod grating on something just behind the gearshift in the tunnel, question does the forward connection to the gear leaver go on the left or the right hand side of the leaver as this may make a difference and I had it off to fit new bushes.

Looking at my Servicing Notes again...they show both parts of the tubular linkage being fitted to the engine side of the transfer lever. So that'll be the left side as viewed from the rear....

• Gold FFM

Yep same as my service notes, but on another document I downloaded to take out to the garage they are shown the other way round, anyway i disconnected the front rod from the engine mount end and tried the gearshift and it was definatley catching on something inside the tunnel so then took of the dreaded front connection to the gear leaver, more skinned knuckles, and pulled it out and you can see where it has been catching about half way along the tube which I find strange, checked to see that it was in on the correct orientation then fitted it again just as it came out and hey presto it's working better now, no grating on 2nd , 4th or reverse so we have a result. Dont ask me how but it's now ok, only thing I can think of is it must have been crossed over a hose or something. When I removed the 4 bolts holding down the gear shift mechanism ther ewas pressure pushing back agains the bolts as if it was sprung loaded which it's not, hence I think it must have been crossed over a hose.

Thanks again all for your input, TLF never fails to amaze me how quickly people come to your help with load of good and informative suggestions.

Attached photo shows my gear change vertical linkage taken from the rear looking forward.  I had already disconnected the lower link before I took the photo.

post-14377-0-54408400-1398963568.jpg

However now I have read the service notes it raises more questions than answers.

1/ My upper and lower links are connected on different sides. Service Note shows them both on same side.

2/ The longest arm is positioned down.  Service note says it should be up.

I didn't have any problems with my gear change so I'm sure I am going to regret this now. Should just have left it. 

Do you have any play in the vertical link?

• Gold FFM

I have set mine as both links on the engine side as for the long and short arms if I remember correctly when I replaced it after the engine overhaull I did it as per the service notes. I have just given the S3 another run to double check everything and find that I will need a little bit of adjustment on the forward throw as it struggles a bit to get first but it's not bad, just that I like a nifty change so will make the adjustment and correct it. I have a little play on the gearlever but I am guessing thats normal as all my bushes etc have been replaced.

• Gold FFM

Thanks Brian, just did a write up on What made you happy today which gives a description of her run after the fial adjustments were made.

the parts manual shows them on different sides! i can see that i have some clearance issues as there are wear marks on the chassis at the gearbox from the gearchange tube rubbing. Will check this again...

Turns out the linkage was at the wrong side at the gearbox and the lever at the gearbox appeared to have been bent to compensate. All put back and will see how it goes

Turns out the linkage was at the wrong side at the gearbox and the lever at the gearbox appeared to have been bent to compensate. All put back and will see how it goes

• Gold FFM

Result, thats two of us cured a problem, aint this site great for sharing information.