free hit
counters
V6 or V6 Cup - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
AndyFoggy

V6 or V6 Cup

I guess it depends on what you expect from the car:

• If its going to be your third car, get the Cup. Its the ultimate animal for trac and fun. But, you have two other cars to drive to/from work or on long highway trips.
  • If you're thinking to use the car as a daily driver or for regular long highway trips take the V6S. From previous experience I have found that a hard suspension actually makes you slower on the hghway, its just too stressfull when your just trying to get from A to B.
  • So, if its going to be your second car, you're caught in the middle and the choice gets difficult.

I personally would go for the V6S because there isn't any decent track in Northern Germany, so track days are scarce. Getting to and the track would always be the larger part of the trip (The Cup would definitively be much more stressfull on the Autobahn). Similarly, whilst the Cup would be greater for something like the Alpine passes, its a looong trip before I get there.

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think the Cup cars are far more comfortable and practical than the perception most people have of them. Perfectly useable on the road where many will spend a fair amount of time. OK there's not not the extra sound insulation/carpet etc that the standard V6S has but you can certainly do long trips in a Cup car and not feel mullered when you get out..! Depends what you are used to, compared to your daily driver the Cup may feel extreme but personally speaking having had both a Caterham and 211 before, it feels positively luxurious..!

However, the lightness and the Nitrons, roll cage, Hans seats/harnesses extinguisher, cut off switches etc in a Cup car certainly make it feel more focussed than a standard V6. really hard to quantify, especially as the performance stats are so similar but you've only got to talk to the factory - particularly Motorsport to see how special they view the Cups. It was the same with the Cup 260. A car greater than the sum of its parts (or the ones they removed for weight saving..!). My old Cup 260 actually rode better on the road than my 240pp before it, due to the Ohlins.    

To anyone considering the options and torn between the two I would say get some time behind the wheel of a Cup on the road before ruling it out that it is too extreme.

Coming to this a little late in the day but.... I too had all the same thoughts going around in my head before I finally decided on the LF!

Apart from as some have said the LF1 being a good compromise that suited my intended use,

The main driver for me was my perceived difficulty making my insurance company happy with a tracker install in a cup car which I was advised would potentially be a real issue, what with the remote cut off & lack of some of the wiring loom (not sure how true/accurate that is) but my insurance company insist on a tracker on anything over £50k so that helped push me towards the LF1

Also with regard to the air bag wheel..... I fitted the cup removable wheel to mine in place of the std wheel

Took about 30 minutes & was nothing of a job, not sure what all the fuss is about?? 

As a new Cup owner here is my view on the matter.

The Cup isn't too hard for normal roads and trust me where I live, on the Isle of Man, the roads are awful.  It isn't particularly loud either, although I'm still running mine in.  So generally speaking I'd say the Cup would be the better option.

That said, there are two things that both me.  The matt black paint, it will be a nightmare if scratched as you can't polish it.  Secondly security, no alarm, immobilizer etc.  It isn't a problem on the Isle of Man, you can still leave your car here unlocked.  But It does bother me going to the UK etc.

As mentioned just my personal view. 

Hey Mark - you can leave your car unlocked? IOM sounds like heaven!

From a financial point of view the V6 Cup makes more sense than many people realise. If you run the numbers the V6 Cup works out cheaper than an equivalent spec V6S and ought to offer better residuals too. As for the warranty, how many road cars are covered for track use anyway?

Even if you put everything on a V6S it will still be 70kg heavier, won't have Gavan Kershaw's suspension set-up and you won't find anyone who'll fit a non-airbag wheel either, so no quick-release wheel which offers a multitude of virtues.

You're much better off making the most of the V6S's lower starting price by keeping it standard and enjoying the excellent compromise between road and track car. If you want to end up with a more track focused car you're better off (in every sense!) starting with a V6 Cup.

Pits, you hit the nail on the head regarding the V6s /Cup debate. I have enjoyed your posts and YouTube videos, and it is clear that the Cup is as right for you as the V6s is for me. As some philosopher once said: 'know thyself'!

Also - really loved your destruction of the Cayman S's PDK - must test drive it myself..!

First two things: thank you all for the advice and sorry if I do some writing error because my english is elementary.

In Italy they have sold very few Exige V6 and do not know anyone but you to confront myself.

I could make several reasonings. Immediately I thought the V6 Cup was the top for me, but maybe it is not really like that.

The car will use it for 90% on the road and a 10% on the track. The car I want to transmission with the new SPS although this transmission you will also have the V6 Cup. The security aspect with immobilazer and alarm is important for me and for the cost of insurance.

The V6 Cup is the top but for the use that I do, I think it is preferable to V6 S.  :D

Over the years ... 1999-2001 Toyota Celica 1.8 ~ 2001-2004 Audi TT Quattro 225 hp ~ 2004-2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI ~ 2005-2008 Honda S2000 ~ 2008-2014 Lotus Exige 240S ~ 2008-2012 Toyota Aygo 1.0 ~ June 2014-January 2015 Subaru WRX STI my 15 ~ 2013-November 2016 Lexus CT200h ~ NOW June 2015 Lotus Exige S V6 ~ December 2016 Honda Civic Type R FK2

Colin, you may kindly post some pictures of your Exige Laser Blue? Thanks

Over the years ... 1999-2001 Toyota Celica 1.8 ~ 2001-2004 Audi TT Quattro 225 hp ~ 2004-2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI ~ 2005-2008 Honda S2000 ~ 2008-2014 Lotus Exige 240S ~ 2008-2012 Toyota Aygo 1.0 ~ June 2014-January 2015 Subaru WRX STI my 15 ~ 2013-November 2016 Lexus CT200h ~ NOW June 2015 Lotus Exige S V6 ~ December 2016 Honda Civic Type R FK2

Yes 90% road use sounds like a V6S or Roadster to me. As a pure road car I think I would go for the Roadster as it's a little softer, perfectly set up for the road and would sound even better with the roof off. Imagine the Alps in one of those! I also think the Roadster might be better suited to the IPS auto box too. The Cup car just wants to go. Cruising and relaxing is not really its thing! I don't think they will do a Cup with the IPS either, that sounds unlikely to me.

As for security in the Cup, alarms are only really for the insurance companies. I consider them an annoyance and it's been a real pleasure to be able to buy a modern car without any of that battery draining nonsense. I've heard the Evora alarm system is more trouble than its worth, I'm glad I don't have to put up with one of those. Besides a Cup car has a much more effective anti-theft device - just take the steering wheel off!

• Like 1

If you like Laser Blue in pictures wait until you see it in reality, you'll see why they call it laser blue! It's much more intense and vivid than any picture I've seen of it. Amazing colour. Great choice Colin!

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Thank you Colin! The calipers are black? And the interior?

Thank you Colin! The calipers are black? And the interior?

Buona sera Andrea

Yeah, the calipers are black. The interior is Suedetex with red stitching - being shown off here by my lovely nieces!!

post-16992-0-45675600-1416859100.jpg

post-16992-0-22329900-1416859132.jpg

• Like 1

Ciao Colin! The interior with your lovely nieces is beautiful  :unworthy:

I think that 99% will choose the color Laser Blue and then I will think to details (calipers, interior, stitching ...)

Excellent! But remember that whatever colour you choose, the Exige will be fantastic!

• Like 1

Excellent! But remember that whatever colour you choose, the Exige will be fantastic!

Sure!

My first Exige was yellow

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4124618804003&set=t.1609763514&type=3&theater

Edited by AndyFoggy
  • Like 1

On 31 December I drove the new Exige V6: I loved it. Than the Exige 240S that I've had, this is from another planet, is fantastic.

The idea is to close the order by the end of January. I have only two doubts: the color and the gearbox (manual or automatic)

If you love the way it drives with a manual, why take the risk? Stick with the stick!

• Like 1

Tthe manual gearbox I found it improved to previous manual gearbox. Jonny and T3Jn, you are fine with manual gearbox?

Depends on what you mean. If you mean the issues that others have reported, I have never had any problems, been on many track days with others who have also not mentioned anything. I find the gearbox is great and smooth when "on it" but when just ambling about a little bit hard work.

If you mean from a usage point of view manual/auto, personally on this car and what I use it for I think manual. However mine is mainly track use. Really is personal preference... Jonny and I have debated the PDK on the Porsche before both with a different opinion, I would not swap that for a manual - but it is about what you use the car for.

I would strongly suggest if you are not sure to try both, it is a lot of money to get it wrong, or to be always wondering if you made the right choice. Lucky for me the auto was not available when I ordered, I am not sure I'd like to make the choice, but would have waited to try both.

• Like 1

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

I'd agree completely with this!

PDK is great in the Porsche I wouldn't want one without it..

Drove an Evora with the auto box though & I know it's supposed to be much improved in the Exige but it's still the same box,

Perfectly good for the road but my Lotus gets plenty of track use & I really wouldn't want that box in my Exige...

Edited by Ishy
  • Like 1

On an aside, just got a Golf with a DSG gearbox and it is absolutely rubbish, considering they own Porsche you'd think they would be able to share software or technology, they are like night and day. 

The point I am trying to make is I think you need to find out how an auto gearbox works for you in the car you are considering compared to the manual and not listen to us (well me) all talking crap about other manufacturers auto boxes ;).

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

I love to drive with the manual gearbox and 2/3 times a year would do the track day.

From what I read, the manual gearbox is improved compared to the old manual gearbox of the Exige S2. I just know that the new Exige V6 has a good manual gearbox, as I could appreciate from the test drive. But I wanted to know who owns the car as you will find with the manual gearbox. So now no doubt, I will choose the manual gearbox.
I only have to choose the color!

I enjoy the manual gearbox in my car. Very slick and precise.

It would be a harder choice if it was DCT auto vs manual but it's torque converter auto vs manual and that is no contest unless you do a lot of city driving or for some reason didn't like the manual.