free hit
counters
V6 or V6 Cup - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
AndyFoggy

V6 or V6 Cup

Hi guys.

I'd like to have a board.

I'm considering buying the V6 Exige, but I do not know whether it is better a V6 or V6 Cup.

What do you advise me?

Thanks and ciao!

Over the years ... 1999-2001 Toyota Celica 1.8 ~ 2001-2004 Audi TT Quattro 225 hp ~ 2004-2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI ~ 2005-2008 Honda S2000 ~ 2008-2014 Lotus Exige 240S ~ 2008-2012 Toyota Aygo 1.0 ~ June 2014-January 2015 Subaru WRX STI my 15 ~ 2013-November 2016 Lexus CT200h ~ NOW June 2015 Lotus Exige S V6 ~ December 2016 Honda Civic Type R FK2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Do you plan on track days or road use? If its road then just the coupe as the Cup will irritate.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Hi Andy

I think most people here will agree the answer to this one is simple:

If you want a road car that will be great on the track, buy the V6. If you want a track car that you can also drive legally on the road, buy the V6 Cup.

Buona fortuna

Ciao

Andrea,

why not the roadster if road use with occasional track use

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

Yeah Darryl is right. The Roadster and the V6 are both alternatives to the Cup.

Hi guys. I sold my Exige 240S and now I'm ready for the new adventure. I think that the final choice will be the V6 Cup.

Over the years ... 1999-2001 Toyota Celica 1.8 ~ 2001-2004 Audi TT Quattro 225 hp ~ 2004-2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI ~ 2005-2008 Honda S2000 ~ 2008-2014 Lotus Exige 240S ~ 2008-2012 Toyota Aygo 1.0 ~ June 2014-January 2015 Subaru WRX STI my 15 ~ 2013-November 2016 Lexus CT200h ~ NOW June 2015 Lotus Exige S V6 ~ December 2016 Honda Civic Type R FK2

Exciting news Andrea!

I don't know anyone who bought a Cup and regretted it.

What colours are you thinking of?

Hi,

I was in the exact same position, as i am new to Lotus and basically wanted a track toy. Therefor the Cup was first on my list, however after research I opted for the LF1, and if i couldnt have had that I would have a well spec'd v6 over the cup.

My reasons were the 3 year warranty and free servicing over 1 year limited mileage. Also the difference in weight with this car wont make much difference, they are unbelievable either way. The normal V6 is also a much nicer place to be for commuting to tracks etc.

Just make sure you spec the brake upgrade and tyres

Steve

There are plenty of V6S vs Cup threads all with various levels of agreement and disagreement, regardless of which model purchased, everyone seems to be very happy! So arguably you cant go wrong ;)

For me I went with the V6S, have done about five track days since delivery in April, I knew at the point of ordering id probably upgrade parts of the car namely the suspension, adding a harness bar, harnesses, and maybe a snap off steering wheel. I plan to make these upgrades as the car goes into hibernation over this winter period.

Doing simple maths, nitron do a good setup for about £2k, v-bar is about £200, harness for drivers side £250, snap off steering wheel £350. All in all £2,800 plus someone to fit which will most likely be just the nitron suspension as the other bits arent too hard to install.

So in my mind a V6S plus the upgrades was far cheaper than a brand new Cup which I probably wouldnt appreciate all the other added extras for the premium/differance in price.

Yes people can freak about warranty being an issue, but im happy to argue if needs be and go legal, two cars back I had a R35 GTR and Nissan was infamous for threatening risk to warranty and in the end when the fault was blatently not linked to the modification they had little to legally argue and void the claim.

The one thing I know I do miss from the Cup is that pretty cool rear roll bar configuration...

In terms of performance, I also remind myself that driver ability is a big factor, and aspire to improving my ability in the V6 to the point I can show the Cups a good run for their money. Ill then probably go Komotec 430 and still be 'just' under the list price of the Cup.

That said and as per my first comment, both are great cars, which ever you buy you'll be happy!

www.alias23.com

Wonderful dilemma to have, awesome car either way.

I would agree with Steve LF1 and alias23 above. I wanted a V6 for track and driving to and from the track. Was going to get a Cup next summer - then the LF1 came along.

I am still split on it, if it were not for the LF1 with the options that I think perfectly fit my needs (limited leather/carpet, bigger brakes and better tires) I probably would have gone Cup. However the warranty is an issue, plus the regular cars have the service inclusive for 3 years and I don't think the 50/50 is available on the Cup (correct me if I am wrong).

With consideration to Alias23's point on warranty above, it would be nice to put harnesses on the standard car, but this will invalidate the warranty.

If you like the colours then grab an LF1 while you can, cost wise it works out the same as a similar spec Coupe, but will the extra cheesy F1 bits!

Just an opinion from a very happy V6 owner!

• Like 1

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

From a financial point of view the V6 Cup makes more sense than many people realise. If you run the numbers the V6 Cup works out cheaper than an equivalent spec V6S and ought to offer better residuals too. As for the warranty, how many road cars are covered for track use anyway?

Even if you put everything on a V6S it will still be 70kg heavier, won't have Gavan Kershaw's suspension set-up and you won't find anyone who'll fit a non-airbag wheel either, so no quick-release wheel which offers a multitude of virtues.

You're much better off making the most of the V6S's lower starting price by keeping it standard and enjoying the excellent compromise between road and track car. If you want to end up with a more track focused car you're better off (in every sense!) starting with a V6 Cup.

^ can't disagree with that!

Do the LF1s come with the 2-piece discs and Nitrons as standard? I thought they did but have read elsewhere that they don't.

They come with the 2-piece disks I have heard conflicting about the nitrons, I don't believe it does.

94240_Exige-LF1-wheels_234x164.png

My LF1 will be fitted with the Komo Tec 430 in the next couple of weeks when I get the charger pulley back from Germany. Come for a spin round the track with me, then we can take a nice drive with the stereo and heated seats on to asda where you can buy fresh pants! Then we can take a nice drive home in comfort again.

Then jump in a cup and try and do the same thing.

I have a Porsche GT2 Clubsport, full cage, fire extinguishers, no sound deadning etc. Awesome car, but bought an LF1 beacuse the Porsche just isn't livable. Although I kept it :-). It's my baby. Lol

Steve

From a financial point of view the V6 Cup makes more sense than many people realise. If you run the numbers the V6 Cup works out cheaper than an equivalent spec V6S and ought to offer better residuals too. As for the warranty, how many road cars are covered for track use anyway?

Even if you put everything on a V6S it will still be 70kg heavier, won't have Gavan Kershaw's suspension set-up and you won't find anyone who'll fit a non-airbag wheel either, so no quick-release wheel which offers a multitude of virtues.

You're much better off making the most of the V6S's lower starting price by keeping it standard and enjoying the excellent compromise between road and track car. If you want to end up with a more track focused car you're better off (in every sense!) starting with a V6 Cup.

Very true residuals are a good point to make mad it's rareness would improve its resale value for sure.

In terms of cost to add upgrades (depending on what you deem necessary) I guess it depends on your starting price for the v6, negotiate negotiate negotiate there are deals to be done when buying even on the 5050 deal.

I really would like to hear what the 'Gavan Kershaw' suspension really means, and I'm not being argumentive, just genuinely interested.

I know the cup comes with two way adjustment, which can't be bought direct from Nitron, only one and three way available, but the cup owners I've spoken to all tell me the more adjustment the more complexity and confusion... Hence convincing me for my purposes one way would be more than sufficient for my usage.

In terms of quick release there are plenty of people happy to do the install, and a number of non cup car owners have taken the step with ease, agree warranty may be something that would worry some people and could be a grey area. In regards to harnesses invalidating warranty, my concerns for warranty are electrics and mechanics, how could Lotus argue that a gearbox failure (as an example) could be invalid because of my action to install harnesses. There is no logical link! However please please if you think I'm being super naive id like to hear your views....

www.alias23.com

Is the Cup that less comfortable than the standard car? I can't see it personally (although not driven it). I had the Elise CR before and although it "looked" uncomfortable (plastic seats, etc), we found it fine. The plastic seats I find more comfortable than the padded heated ones in the LF1.

Next LoT day I'm going to blag a ride in a Cup...

In regards to harnesses invalidating warranty, my concerns for warranty are electrics and mechanics, how could Lotus argue that a gearbox failure (as an example) could be invalid because of my action to install harnesses. There is no logical link! However please please if you think I'm being super naive id like to hear your views....

I know we've discussed in the past, and I totally agree with the theory on this and how can it impact the warranty on an unrelated part... my point is one of the reasons we went new is for that warranty (and the deciding factor not going for the Cup). It's a personal thing as to whether you want to jeopardise it.

I also happen to think it is stupid that you can't dealer fit the harnesses, put in a bigger fuel tank (especially after our day at Oulton), but that's not the point.

I am right on the fence though... can see me getting a Cup next!

Lotus are very reasonable, as are most manufacturers in that respect. If an unrelated part fails, they'll still honour the warranty.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Agree with Bibs, these are still a track based car so the warranty should still be ok. People using the launch control might be a different matter though, plus remember your ecu will give the dealer information regarding any abuse.

Exciting news Andrea!

I don't know anyone who bought a Cup and regretted it.

What colours are you thinking of?

One Day I like Laser Blue, the other Chrome Orange and then Black & Gold, Motorsport Green with yellow stripes ... Is not easy!

• Like 1

Andrea, for me Laser Blue was an easy choice. Everyone I meet raves about the colour - it really looks great on an Exige..!

• Like 1

Colin for me the Laser Blue si the first choice, but I want to think again before deciding :-)

A minor thing but there's no chance anyone's going to remove an airbag for you. I tried once, couldn't find anyone prepared to do it. Everyone was worried about being sued in the event that I had a crash.

To be fair V6S are holding their value very well at the moment. 4 cyl Exige too.

Lotus are very thorough when it comes to chassis development. Gavan Kershaw did a lot of work on the Cup cars specifically to work with the Trofeo tyre (which is only available in Exige sizes and different to Pirelli's Trofeo R) and worked closely with Nitron on the dampers too. I don't believe you simply get a Cup set up by sticking some Nitrons on. Conversely Matt Becker spent a lot of time getting the V6S to work well on the road. I could be wrong but it would be very unlikely from a company that altered the Esprit's spring rates depending on whether you ordered air con or not. Next time I see Gavan Kershaw I'll ask him for some more specifics.