free hit
counters
Jean-Marc Gales new Lotus CEO - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I dunno. Bahar forced the Evora to be better built from his brief interaction with it. The benefits of which are felt by all buyers of the new cars.

Best joke in a long time!!!!!!

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the whole dealer network today got a nice email from the new CEO, explaining how he values the network and is looking forward to working with them.   That communication, within one week of bei

Gales is a car guy through and through - I very much doubt he's a pen pusher. He's held senior positions in several major car companies and he has an Msc in Mechanical Engineering. I doubt there is an

I'd actually find it hard to believe he hadn't been in the car. And the others. And taken them for a decent drive. And pored over the books ad nauseum as well as DRB's investment plans. And spoken wit

Posted Images

Gales is a car guy through and through - I very much doubt he's a pen pusher. He's held senior positions in several major car companies and he has an Msc in Mechanical Engineering. I doubt there is anyone else out there this well qualified and available (or interested) in running Lotus. DRB should be congratulated on finding and persuading him to join Lotus.

And at the risk of getting flamed, I'd like to say what a damn fine job Aslam and DRB have done the past few years. Given the basket case Lotus could have become, they have nursed it back to health and prepped it for growth. Its been a bit dull (Exige V6 S excepted) and the marketing has been crap (and even that has served its purpose) but over the last 3 years they have done a great job in my view. And I am actually glad Aslam is staying on. 

From a purely business perspective, Lotus have I think turned the corner at last.

And we have an engineer running Lotus again :thumbsup:  In that alone we should rejoice.

I must agree Mark you hit the nail right on head. The future is bright the future is green and yellow.

Andrew

:huh:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Advantage, on 02 May 2014 - 11:15 PM, said:
I dunno. Bahar forced the Evora to be better built from his brief interaction with it. The benefits of which are felt by all buyers of the new cars.

...said the Esprit owner!  :cheers:

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

The new esprit is going to be high priced and low volume. I think it's the wrong time for that. Personally, I think they should go for a modern M100. Mid range price - lower than the Evora, practical and a complete blast to drive. Don't make things complicated. Then launch the Esprit when sales are good, cash flow is good and the buying public has got some of it's confidence back in the company and it's products.

• Like 1

...said the Esprit owner!  :cheers:

;) I have more than 1 Lotuseven more than 2, but no Evora as taxes for the Evora are a bit crazy here.  I've driven the launch edition quite a lot, as my uncle has one. A friend of mine who lives very close to us has a 2012 Evora, so it's very easy for me to compare. I agree the interior is more beautifull in the later Evora and the GPS from the launch edition was ridiculously bad, but when it come to ride and handling the later one it's not a single bit better. The launch edition had quite some updates under warranty, but the later Evora has been towed away 3 times now with all kinds of different electronic problems in less than 15k km. The launch edition never skipped a beat in over 30k kms... and speaking to my dealer, he's not the only one.

• Like 1

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

The new esprit is going to be high priced and low volume. I think it's the wrong time for that. Personally, I think they should go for a modern M100. Mid range price - lower than the Evora, practical and a complete blast to drive. Don't make things complicated. Then launch the Esprit when sales are good, cash flow is good and the buying public has got some of it's confidence back in the company and it's products.

I agree. Just like the 205 saved Peugeot in the 80s and like the Boxster Mk1 that opened Porsche to new customers and markets...Or unlike Rover, that failed to do so among other reasons by priorising the development of the 75 over the replacement for the 25...

There is one important piece of information missing about his appointment and the new models IMO. We do not know whether his daughter's first name starts with an E... ;)

Edited by Arregueti

Well his early career was in marketing. His later positions more senior. To me this sounds a good balance. Also imagine the kudos to the person who has make Lotus fly. I think this aim is why people such as him want to have a go. Hopefully with a stable base the right person can help achieve Lotus become what it deserves.

Buddsy 

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Not sure either is good opportunity for Lotus at this time. The potential Esprit could bring profits and standing, but the market competition has changed considerably from when it was first announced. The Esprit will now have to compete against the McLaren 650S adn the 458 Speciale, both of which are definitively leading edge and reflect significant R&D investments in technology.

A mid-range car, on the othe rhand, can only bring profits if sold at in large numbers and Lotus just doesn't have he facilities for doing that. Its  the road Caterham had chosen with Renault, but as we all know that hasn't gone forward either.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Lotus already has a midrange car, it's Evora, and because the previous CEO did not believe in it much, and the complete meltdown that happened  in the two following years, Evora has so far failed to do what MJK had set as its sales target which was 2000 cars sold worlwide per annum. Now the Evora is in its fourth year so not about time for a midlife refresh: new front and rear bumper new (including lights), upgraded cabin tech (airbag fix and new ICE), improved gearbox and slight improvement in terms of power output would be a good way to go. A roadster version would also do wonders but I guess that'd be dependant on Spyker and their ability to fund the B6 Venator. 

When it comes to the Esprit, the question is can they make a business case for it. how many cars would they need to shift to brake even and make a profit? How far are they in the development and where can they source the components that will make the car feel like the supercar it's supposed to be with the insane competition it will have to face, 458, 650S, GT3, Huracan? Are they able to make a case for the production of the V8? If not where to source a suitable engine?

Considering where things are going i'm wondering if the way to go is not to dramatically upgrade the Elise. I mean right now it will give the 4C a whopping. It just needs to be put front and center again. Then again can they make a business case for it or do they want/can come up with an all new car in a not too distant future.

I'm guessing Gales has been courted for a while so he must have a pretty good idea of where he wants to take the company. The guy was probably waiting for an opportunity to get at the helm of another company as his move to CLEPA can only be seen as a sidestep in his career waiting for something better. Well he has an opportunity with a small car maker. I wonder what will be his first move. 

Edited by NedaSay

Something to stir into action, along the lines of the 4C... slightly more accessible to the mainstream without losing any Lotus DNA? An S2 Evora or better still  just put DB's Elan into production!  

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

With his CV I think we can expect Lotus to be much more engaged in building new industry partnerships, either with one stategic carmaker, or on a model for model basis.

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

As someone who was sucked into the Bahar thing because I wanted to see a new Esprit (even though I would never have been able to afford it), I think they should keep things simple. Think they will struggle with the Evora or anything bigger more expensive. However a new Elise and Exige that are:

• fractionally bigger without putting on much weight
  • easier to get in and out of 
  • have more user friendly and attractive interiors (perhaps use his connections to borrow the touch screen and digital display from the new Citroen C4 Cactus - that might sound like a joke but these could easily be mounted in a minimalist, but sexy interior, that uses the quality lessons learnt on the Evora)
  • Price against the Boxster/Cayman (aiming for less sales but with a product that is a little cheaper to develop and produce)
  • Design the cars for global sales
  • Use F1 better to promote the cars
  • Do a deal with another manufacturer to provide the engines and sell the cars through their dealers for a halo effect on their range (Toyota, Honda, Kia?)

Whatever the appointment seems to be a positive move. Someone called Ettore posted this on the Pistonheads forum: 

He's a good guy (there was on overall Group CEO at PSA during that time) with decent experience at Mercedes and VAG - importantly he was the key sponsor for the Peugeot Le Mans effort (cancelled when he left).

I wish him the best of luck, he's well networked and a good sales and marketing leader who's also a proper "car guy". 

More of a car guy then than might have been thought at first!

As Gus said:

• Do a deal with another manufacturer to provide the engines and sell the cars through their dealers for a halo effect on their range (Toyota, Honda, Kia?)

I'd love to see four cylinder Lotus Elise and Exige models being powered by Toyota "86" engines. That would be taking the game right up to the only maker of boxer engines in sports cars, ie Porsche.

The architecture of the boxer engine has so much going for it. Low CoG and superb concentration of mass as well as other benefits. And if they work there's the larger sixes that could be used as well.

DanR

The Toyota 86 engines are not Toyota's engines they are Subaru's flat four! If you want a flat four just get a Porsche! However Toyota/Lexus has new 2L turbo coming with 240 to 280 bhp variants and matching gearboxe

But what about a supercharged and turbocharged 2L engine with 300bhp+ and suitable premium electronics that could come from Volvo! And cherry on top they'll be available with their own 6 speed manual transverse gearbox.

Edited by NedaSay

Didn't know Porsche had a four cylinder boxer motor.

As for the "86", I like seeing the Subaru-Toyota alliance. Lotus' has a lengthy history with Toyota and now that Subaru is also in the family, it could be a good opportunity. 

Dynamically an upright motor can't match a flat motor when it comes to handling and roadholding. Now isn't that what the Elise/Exige is all about?  Being short and having stout crankshafts with good primary balance they also suit bigger capacities (A 2.5l is already available).

Turboed 2.5? Bring it on. 

DanR

As Gus said:

I'd love to see four cylinder Lotus Elise and Exige models being powered by Toyota "86" engines. That would be taking the game right up to the only maker of boxer engines in sports cars, ie Porsche.

The architecture of the boxer engine has so much going for it. Low CoG and superb concentration of mass as well as other benefits. And if they work there's the larger sixes that could be used as well.

Just one reason I stick with that bargain basement boxer, the Citroen GS/A. (Although its probably unrealistic to see a Citroen SM gearbox in the new Esprit).  

Interesting to see some of the reactions to the new CEO appointment, particularly in some of the US based sites and Blogs. As you can see from the example below, there are auto fans out there who weren't aware Lotus was still around, if they were they are still building cars and if they are they are almost out of the US market. And they shouldn't be spending millions on F1! In fact, the press release photo showed, according to some observers, a concept car that Lotus should immediately start building as it reminds them of a Ferrari 308  :huh:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/04/lotus-jean-marc-gales-ceo-official/

As you will read I posted a few observations of my own to correct some opinions but this does highlight Lotus' problem after the 3 year marketing 'purdah'. Hopefully Gales appointment will up the ante somewhat in the coming months. I'd also like to think that DRB wanted him in place as they do actually have something big to announce. But as you know, I am the eternal optimist when it comes to Lotus....

Well they are recruiting a Co-ordinator/Engineer for the Product Launch Team! 

http://careers.lotuscars.com/Lotus/Vacancies/VacancyDetails.asp?VacancyID=928

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

A co-ordinator for the Product Launch team  :fun:

Ok let's stay calm and composed let's not lose it but, but that can only be the Esprit right!? :D or Evora phase 2 !? :thumbsup:​  Or federalized Elige S!? :w00t:  

• Like 1