free hit
counters
Lost all gears! - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Afternoon all

Took the Esprit out for a run today all seems well, on approaching my village I slowed to the speed limit changed down a gear and nothing!!!!!

I had to make a left turn so eased around the corner and pulled over. The car was in 5th, I had forward and backward motion but could not move the stick from left to right. Although I had forward and backward movement on the stick I wasn't changing gear.

So I have removed the gear stick and all cables look fine, translator looks ok but I cannot move the selector, however I was able to select 2nd from the selector in order to get the car home thankfully

Could really do with some guidance on this one.

Cheers Paul

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently in conversation with Paul...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Yes Travis that's exactly the problem! Is it just the pinch bolt that provides the necessary locking of the translator to the shaft or should there be some kind of pin to locate the two then just the pinch bolt to tighten.

Ta

Paul

There's a woodruff key there to make sure it cant spin endlessly around the pivot - apparently it's not unknown for this to be missing...but while you're back there, apply thread lock to the nuts both at the pinch bolt and the translator base - I had my gearshift getting progressively more sloppy each season without it - now it's been a year and still no issues selecting gears.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I didn't notice a woodruff key all the times I looked at mine, or on the 89 that I worked on that had the same problem with the loose pinch bolt, but I do see a slot for one on mine, and a key is shown in the parts manual.

P4260211.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Thanks guys - I have done a temporary fix at the minute and will investigate further. I don't believe mine has ever had a woodruff key but its got to make sense. Even just as a back up if the pinch bolt works lose.

Thanks again

Paul