free hit
counters
Nest thermostat - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Nest thermostat

Bibs

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

On the subject of energy conservation, I remember a telephone conversation I overheard at work about 45 years ago. My colleague had installed his own central heating system some years previously, and was arranging to have the boiler serviced...."By the way, the thermostat is in the cupboard under the stairs. The one in the hall is just for the wife to play with....." (!) 

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Grrrrrr, hate it when you flick between tabs and everything you wrote is lost..........! I'll try again

I'm currently spending quite a bit of time researching various systems like this. I'm trying to decide in which I am most likely to recommend, supply and install into customers houses.

The Nest system does look very pretty, but it relies on analysing your normal heating demands, routines etc.... This still leaves the system liable to turn your heating on and off while you are out and thus wasting you fuel. There have also been several reported cases where the system has lost it's memory and hence all of your learnt history, with no ability to back it up, and then having to spend another 2 weeks teaching the system what you mostly require of it.

Add to that you work from home a lot, the system will learn this and attempt to heat your house when you are out.

British Gas Nest, another product that is very good indeed, remote monitoring, able to schedule your own heating/water events as required, more like a conventional timer system and also allows you full remote control of the system when you are out in case you've accidentally left it on or for instance, decide to stay at a mates instead of heading home after a party. Big plus side of this system, it's currently Free to all BG customers starting a new contract or renewing one.

My current favourite though is a system called TADO. www.tado.com/gb

This combines all of the benefits of BG Hive, but also includes occupant tracking via your smart device. You leave home, it switches off your heating, you return home, it will pick up on the fact you are returning far before you arrive home and automatically turn the heating on to your regular desired heating level. It also maps current weather and assesses how efficient your home is at heating up and retaining the heat so the system further refines itself.

It's very cool indeed, but does still seem to have some bugs. I'm currently trying to get hold of an evaluation system to install and test here at my place to see if it really is as good as it says it is before I start fully recommending it.

Chunky Lover

Guess what my research area is at work?

We were involved with a European funded project looking at smart cities and we did the energy monitoring systems for domestic and commercial premises. The second phase is to provide the control so that having monitored the premises we can then control it based on lots of sensors.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

• 1 year later...

New Hive is now out...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

That looks good. I'm using the Nest currently and pleased with it but didn't research much as I would have prefered a unit that does hot water too, which my Nest doesn't. For what it does though I think its great.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

• 6 months later...

Anyone else having problems with their Hive this evening? :coffee:

Evora NA

• Gold FFM

Nope, fine here.

check the hive status page?

https://status.hivehome.com

says they are having some login issues...

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

They certainly are,  I did check that and called but got bored after 45 mins on hold! It's cold,  we've got a Homecare engineer visit booked for tomorrow now to fix it.

Evora NA

• 6 years later...

Where we  have just moved to we have a 20 yo  oil boiler, megaflow and programmer no thermostat. Thinking some sort of controls would be better. Any views from users of nest, hive or tado ( or others) now?   

We've got Hive. I've got it as half of it was here when we moved in, I just had to buy a couple of bits to get it up and running. It's no different to a normal thermostat apart from it's got an app really so very overpriced for what it is in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

Evora NA

We have Hive as well - Just set it and forget - as Bibs says it works as a normal thermostat. I haven't looked at the app in months.

If you intend to add more home automation (Z-wave, Zigbee etc) then Hive is probably not the best option as they don't document their interface and it keeps changing.

• Thanks 1
Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Major disadvantage I find with Hive is that the thermostat is inaccurate (over reads) and slow to react to temperature changes.

All part of their marketing gimmick in suggesting that it can be a money saving device, IMO it is just the opposite, it over reads and over shoots and takes an age for the temperature to reduce thus heating back up cold water rather than warm water, albeit less frequently. App facility is nice when you want to turn the heating on an hour before returning home after a winter holiday

It was a FOC supply & install when we had the boiler replaced 6 years ago. Would I have it installed by choice, probably not but then I have no experience of the other so called “smart” thermostats. Thermostatic rad valves are a must have for me but not the overpriced Hive ones 

• Thanks 1

I had it fitted with my new boiler in April, so I haven't had a chance to experience the thermostat yet. The basic mode does display a graph of the temperature day by day, not sure what Hive Heating Plus does apart from allow you to graph by week/year and by cost. I'd like to see the amount of gas/energy the boiler uses - someone has posted up their app which does this.

The smart plugs just allow you to automate turning them on and off, not really smart as there is no energy monitor function. I've had to buy some TP-Link ones for this.

As with @PaulCP I wouldn't install a Hive system by choice.

• Thanks 1

I have the Tado system which is pretty good for managing individual rooms. The only downside is that all but the basic functions are behind a paywall. It has some smart features such as learning how long it takes to heat a room to a certain temperature. It can then be used to preheat a room in the morning or when it senses your mobile coming towards the house. You really need the add-on room thermostats as well as the rad fitted ones as they are more accurate for the room temp. If you only have the rad mounted valves, you can add or subtract degrees from the reading to compensate (in case the rad is behind a sofa or some other obstruction).

I think it's saved me money by being able to leave unused rooms unheated, but it will fire the boiler at any point a rad calls for it even in the middle of the night unless you take some time to set time periods for each room. You can set lots of time periods. :) 

• Thanks 1

It's getting there......