free hit
counters
Anyone had a Firebird before? US members probably... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Anyone had a Firebird before? US members probably...

I need an Esprit, no another one, the Firebird Esprit. As well as a Bond addition there is also a Rockford Files itch that needs scratching (childhood thing). Has anyone owned a 70-81 Firebird or can keep an eye open for an original unmessed Esprit (basic model)?

Like many cars that seemed common 10 years ago they pop up less and less these days, especially in nice condition. If I liquidate the project cars stacked up in the garage and use the money from the sale of the Eclat I can *just* about afford something that runs before the prices disappear off the map. US prices are already a little crazy, but for some reason Canadian cars are a fair bit less, at least for the time being.

Looked at  a few selling sites, for some reason I can't see the photographs on Craigslist (not really familiar with that) and Ebay stuff just seems to be junk or silly money. This is the kind of thing I'm after;

13902263765_11d52c6dc6_z.jpg

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm always looking at 77 / 78 Firebirds on ebay, loved them since I was a kid.  I can't decided whether a 78 Firebird or a 78 Chevrolet Caprice Landau should sit on my drive.

Rockford had a 74 and a 78 Firebird Esprit.

011.jpg

Glad there is a kindred spirit on here. Posting a query like this on a forum about a manufacturer dedicated to lightness and driving purity is a worry - akin to admitting some kind of perversion!

I grew up with the Rockford Files too, great show and I didn't know he drove an Esprit until now! :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Having been completely obsessed with Smokey & The Bandit as an 11-year old, I recommend going all-in and getting a Trans Am, like this guy I passed last week on the Long Island Expressway:

post-6978-0-29983600-1399243852.jpg

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Tran Ams are a bit too yee-hah for me, plus they are ridiculous money even for a clunker. I prefer the basic cars for uncluttered styling.

The Formulas appear the best value, *slightly* more discreet looks with the TA performance goodies, for less dosh, but they are catching up. There was a good desrription of the lesser known (compared to TAs) Formulas somewhere, they said the Formula was like a mysterious old uncle who you knew had been in jail but no-one in the family would tell you why!

Anyhow, another example of a car which I should have pounced on a few years back when cheap, but redundancy prevented, PLUS the holy grail, a 1977 Rockford replica

66274010.jpg

hppp_1101_05+1977_pontiac_firebird_espir

Now this takes me back 20 years!  I always wanted a Trans AM as a kid (Smokey and Bandit, Thunderbolt and Lightning etc) and $1,500 later in 1989 I was the proud owner of said vehicle, I think it was an early 80's 400 CU model.  Now, let's just say the mystique surrounding these cars was way better than the actual ownership experience which was rather dismal!  It really was an appallingly badly made car, but I did get to scratch it off my list!  

Now that said, I occasionally scan the Internet for a 1970.5 455SD Trans Am with the munice box, but alas they are few and far between and crazy prices for the ones that do come up.

Good luck!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

It really was an appallingly badly made car

I am noticing this. Even certified low milage cars are dropping to bits, a bit like mid 70s Lotuses!

The 80s cars seem much better in this respect, but don't have the style. They too however have leapt in price dramatically which is amazing considering how uncool they were in the early 90s.

Can anyone in the US recommend which sites to go on and track a specific search? Is Mitula any good? Craigslist doesn't work for me.

I take it you have tried clubs like Pontiac Owners Club? http://www.poc-uk.org/

There are lots of US car clubs and magazines here in the UK for advise on this side of the pond if no-one in the US can help.