free hit
counters
Electric window fault - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Electric window fault

My cars developed a really strange issue.

Either when i take the key out the ignition, or open the glovebox! the drivers window drops then rises again. It doesnt do it 100% of the time but nearly always. It happens with the engine running or ignition off etc it makes no difference. Its only the drivers side thats doing it.

The window itself works fine, including the auto open bit, door latch seems ok. Alarm works, locking works and the door indicator is all ok.

Anybody had this before?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I've not had exactly the same issue, but I have had two problems with my passenger door window.

1) The auto-drop feature became intermittent. It sometimes didn't drop, and sometimes didn't rise. If the door was open, it would sometimes jiggle up and down continuously. My dealer (Lotus Silverstone) suggested checking the fuse for the interior light, but that was ok. I then found the fuse for the power socket in the boot had blown. Fixing that greatly improved the problem. Clearly a bad earth was the cause. Eventually Lotus Silverstone traced the problem to a corroded connector inside the door.

2) The window would refuse to open when the door was closed. It operated normally with the door open, and would close automatically when the door closed again. This behaviour changed after a few weeks. It would randomly open/close every few hours  even when the car was parked up with the alarm on. Lotus Silverstone traced the problem to the regulator, and replaced the entire lift mechanism. All fixed now.

I'd recommend check ALL the fuses, or that everything electrical is working on the car, including interior lamps and power sockets. If  you don't find anything there, it's probably something similar to my issues.

I'd also highly recommend pulling the fuse for that window until you get it fixed. The last thing you need is the window stuck in the open position. Apart from the obvious security and rain problems, it's much harder to remove the window regulator when the window is open.

This is more than likely a failed window regulator. Is the car still in warranty, if so nip it up to Christopher Neils for a replacement.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Sadly not under warranty.

Seems a bit of a pain in the arse to replace the whole thing just because the controller has gone a bit awol.

Anybody got a closeup picture of the controller?

Have you tried the window reset?

Turn iginition on

hold window switch down and when it reaches the fully open position, keep the switch held down for about 5 seconds.

The hold the switch up and when the window is fully closed keep holding the switch up foe a 5 seconds again.

that generally resets the window.

If your battery gets very low at any time (too low to start the car) when you open the door, the window drops slightly - and when you close it again it does not go back up, but stays dropped.

After the battery is recharged, the window will still stay dropped until you do the above reset procedure.

cheers

p.

• Like 1

construction and property consultants : My company

I was going to suggest something simple like remaking the earth. For it to glitch when the glovebox opens seems to suggest it reacts to a 12v supply current change (glovebox light)

I may be completely wrong, but it's an easy one to try.

ps. Other than lighting the house etc, I hate electricity. Can't see how it works so it has to be magic.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I imagine itll be the actual actuator in the glovebox, and the steering lock that are causing the issue. Both will give a kickback into the cars electrics when the circuit opens and closes.

• 2 weeks later...

I had exactly the same issue, took the car to the dealership but they couldn't find it. Fortunately the car was still there as they washed the car before I should pick it up when the electric lift motor was starting to burn and smoke. Now, with a new electric lift motor everything is working fine. So the issue was caused by water ingress...

'76 lotus esprit s1 - monaco white ... '11 lotus evora na - aspen white Posted Image

• 1 month later...

I was about to take the kids to school this morning when my daughter noticed that the passenger window of the Evora was fully open. I tried to close it but it doesn't respond to either switch (driver door or passenger door) and a month or so ago I came back from a business trip to find the driver window was open. At the time I thought I must have left it open (for a week!) which is not something I thought I would do and now I am sure I didn't, also I would have expected the car to be wet inside if it had been open for all the time I was away.

Any ideas? I will try the reset procedure as best I can considering the window isn't moving. Otherwise it will have to go into Bell and Colvill and the wallet surgery will continue.

cheers

-Chris

• 5 weeks later...

Was just about to bump this thread seeing as my issue seems to have a got a bit more terminal in now the window wont fully close.

Im fairly sure its an electrical issue not with the mecanism itself so im just after either some really good photos of all the serial numbers and possibly the PCB inside so I try can find out if its from somebody elses parts bin or the unit itself to try repair.

• 1 year later...
  • Gold FFM

Just had the drivers window fully open when ignition turned on. It won't close now and it's raining!

interior light is working, battery is good, tried the reset. Now waiting for Oakmere to call back. Car is under warranty but it lives outside so I suspect water ingress. 

How did Lotus ever make that submarine Esprit? 

• Gold FFM

Gary - had a very similar problem, it was a failed window actuator replaced under my 2nd hand warranty from the dealer, MMC.  Unfortunately I think these must have been old Austin/BL parts as they seem to fail regularly and sometimes more often than that!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

I've left the car at Oakmere, it's handy being 5 miles from a Lotus dealer...just a shame I am on first name terms with the mechanics. I'll find out on Monday what the problem was. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8 May 2014 at 23:45, Ryanmt said:

My cars developed a really strange issue.

Either when i take the key out the ignition, or open the glovebox! the drivers window drops then rises again. It doesnt do it 100% of the time but nearly always. It happens with the engine running or ignition off etc it makes no difference. Its only the drivers side thats doing it.

The window itself works fine, including the auto open bit, door latch seems ok. Alarm works, locking works and the door indicator is all ok.

Anybody had this before?

Just had the same thing happen to me this morning, it continued to do it driving down the road! Though now I have a service light on and the window does not fully shut.

Yep, I just replaced the entire window motor in the end. Very easy job to do and its been spot on since.

As far it being a Austin/BL parts I think its actually made by an Italian company the electric side but I didn’t get much further than that, was easier to just by a new one!

• Gold FFM

Italian company. Electrics. Motors and possible water ingress = decades old recipe for issues lol.....

Should be covered by either new or used car warranty if you have one. Mine was.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Ok no call back from lotus i fitted new unit Saturday very simple job  , Then reset  down and up wait as you do but still no movement in window when opening and closing door it does recognises door open with footwell light comes on and  shows door open  in dash .

or its a call up to Snow Lotus or Matt at Silverstone ??

Did get a discount being a member of the Forum thanks Bibs.