free hit
counters
Vinyl wrap window trims - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looks good, but you will probably only get a 7 year lifespan at best from the vinyl. Not sure how much it would be to re chrome if you want longer lifespan.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Unfortunatly they are aluminium anodised, which means they probably only had a 10 year life span originally anyway.

Would be great if somebody started making them in stainless steel but thecars just aren't worth it yet.

Those pieces look like they have come up pretty well Paul. :thumbup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

They look better than the ones on my car. I will look into doing it myself. If i had known a couple of weeks ago i would done them before having a new windscreen fitted.

You might have found the holy grail there Paul, inexpensive even with a 10 year lifespan, plus you can fill and sand dents and pits beforehand.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Well it works for me!

Easy to apply and as you say Mark, dents pitting and other defects can be covered over.

I know they wont last for ever and will probably get marked but i can always peel it off and apply a new layer.

You have to give it a stretch over compound curves but otherwise no problems applying it, or you could always get the profesionals to do it.

Paul, do you think one could do a decent job applying this over installed trim? I'm afraid mine are bonded on for life!

Scott

If you warm it with a hair dryer it goes round curves easier.

Great solution.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

For the price of the vinyl I think its worth a try Scott, nothing ventured nothing gained!

The rain gutters and 'A' post trim should be ok, top and bottom windscreen trims may be a bit harder, if it doesn't work though it can be peeled off again.

I will post some pictures tonight of me doing the 'A' post trim.

Edited by pbharcourt

Some pictures of covering the 'A' post trim.

First I cut a piece a bit bigger than the trim, started to peel the white backing off and then carefully applied it to one end of the trim piece.

Then slowly worked the vinyl along while peeling the backing off.

Any small bubbles can be stretched out using fingertip pressure, if it goes wrong just unpeel and start again, it is quite robust.

Once you have covered the main area it can be turned over and use scissors to trim off any excess, leaving just enough to fold over the back.

Corners can be snipped to allow folding over.

Then peel the clear plastic covering off and hey presto Chrome trim!

It's that easy!

post-10050-0-66957800-1399922926.jpg

post-10050-0-22472200-1399923096.jpg

post-10050-0-55791900-1399923547.jpg

post-10050-0-88305100-1399923573.jpg

Paul

What's the overall effect? Is it more chrome-like than the original finish?  Could you tell from a distance, or even close up?

Cheers

Herc

I would say it is very close to the original look, only when you feel it can you tell that its vinyl.

It is fairly soft and could probably mark easily, how practical in use it will be only time will tell.