free hit
counters
Europa on 5th Gear next week - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Europa on 5th Gear next week

Being over here in Switzerland, I tend to miss a lot of the UK TV gossip etc.

But just saw 5th Gear (boring, bring back Hammond Hamster & his mates)... seems they have the Europa review on next week.

... maybe they'll try to do 200mph using some fag packets, NOS, and rubber bands - could be a laugh :blink:

Rob S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5th Gear tends to get quite a harsh beating on car forums, even though Top Gear has notably moved away from serious car features and in to larking about. However I watched 20 mins of an episode last night for the first time in years and realised it deserves everything it gets. How bloody aweful was that? I got to the ad break and their "Come back after the break for this.....this....and this", all of which gave me no incentive to stay tuned!

So not too concerned with what they think.

Is your seatbelt on? I want to try something

The reviews by JP & Tiff on their respective cars were very good imo last night - tiffs on the Swift was just excellent.

I have a lot of time to hear about what them 2 think of cars - tiffs review of the Gallardo last week was worth the show alone. Tiff does a great job in this dept with sports cars, that Tom bloke seems more at home with the diddy stuff and JP just needs to know how to review propperly and not get stuck on the same problem with a car and go on and on and on.

The prob with the show is the 2 odd couple muppets in ace cafe are just sssoooooooooooooooo irritating :blink:

Just hope its tiff doing the review and you'll get a fair show of what the car is about and what it does.

Tiff didn't like the V8 Esprit too much but he raved the Elise to give you an idea of his Lotus back ground.

If the Europa goes to anyone else it'll probably be slammed, the Tom bloke wont throw it around and JP will just get stuck on the worst thing about the car.

facebook = [email protected]

Plato confused the hell out of me. It was like he was mixing up random English words. It sounded like English, but made no sense. Stuff like "but the handling is aweful. You have to work really and to get the back end to slide out" :blink: That sounds quite good to me. Sling it in to a corner and the back end stays planted. Lovely.

"If this car sold in England for 24 K I've no doubt they'd sell like hot-cakes, but 40 grand? For that you could get a Porsche Kayenne". Errr....hardly an alternative when looking at buying a Shelby Mustang.

Tiffs bit on the Swift was good though. Looked like the same roads he tested the Elise Mk 1 on.

Is your seatbelt on? I want to try something

Totally agree on JP - he has the potential to be a good reviewer but he's always in race mode trying to get back out etc and I mean WTF for ? How many drivers will be doing that on the roads....bad reviewing imo.

2 sorts of handling imo - control and composure when out of control - Elise is perfect example of both, it's as controlable when it's stable as it is when it's tail's out - however good / bad handling I've never understood the meaning of when you're thrashing the pants off it like he did that mustang. Mondeos handle really well but I doubt when you skid them out like that they do !

As you say (was the coxster he was comparing it to btw) no comparison - apart from a Holden there is little to compare that car to. If I was in a porker or Ford delaer and the guy looking at my car said he was off to compare it to the other car I would laugh my butt end off - would you like some chalk with your cheese sir ?

He did a review of an open cockpit sports car once and instead of commening on the feel of the car he went on and on and on about how many flies he had in his face - when Clarkson had the Atom (similar car) did he do the same ? Difference between the 2.

Well it was the 1st article, at least I dont have to watch the rest of the show :rolleyes:

(recognise the roads ? :( )

Bit of a dull review that, learned nothing really about the car other than the cup holder haha :)

Quietness was rubish - it's WAY WAY quieter than the Elise, but he did comment on the drive and the engine being good which was fair enough.

That was an 06 car though, thought it was the one I drove but mine was a 56 so mebbe they're different ?

I KNEW he'd comment on the getting in and out - as for the boxster comment - I used to think they looked like sports cars, I saw one in lipscomb's on Friday which they'd taken in PX against a flurry of Elises and the Porker looks laughable - it's so narrow and so high....it looked pathetic in company of the Lotus'

I think they wanted it to be a sofa on wheels, I don't think it's faultless but it's not as bad as they made out.

Wonder if they'll get the Bond chase thing right, and Roger Moore was by far the best 007 :D

Cus he had the coolest car !!! :(