free hit
counters
504 Nerd Alert Update - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
guyabb

504 Nerd Alert Update

Well I got it home and cleaned it and have dried out the revolting carpets and thrown away the seats.

Have fitted the grottier of my two spare sets of seats so I cam move it about without getting covered in gearbox oil that was stained all over the old ones.

most of the bits I now have but need a new set of wheelnuts, various hoses, unions bits of wiring etc and since there is next to nothing in the manual about the autobox will need to just play it by ear.

It will either work or it wont. next step to get the diff assembly off and replace all the seals and refurb the rear brakes. I am told it is a horrible job without a 4 post lift.

post-10099-0-19846700-1400959385.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Rear brakes are a ball ache, if yours are onboard you need to release the rear shock, rear drive shafts and pull off the drum if it is free and not got the handbrake jammed on! Just done mine, the rear star adjuster springs are nasty little sods, they can ride over the star and jam the hand brake on. Nice colour by the by.

The diff weighs nigh on 67 tons.

:hrhr:

Best of luck with all the work. Car looks really nice. Worth doing.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

car looks really nice...but it seems that somebody has removed the waistband trim and  flattened the waistband...some  say such a body is a thow-away..as it lost its strenghtness...

car looks really nice...but it seems that somebody has removed the waistband trim and  flattened the waistband...some  say such a body is a thow-away..as it lost its strenghtness...

I'm surprised you can tell.

There was someone on the last forum making similar claims about bodies and wastlines. Truth is that I spend half my life looking at elites and eclats and can't recall ever seeing one seperate at the waist.

However the same poster also suggested running a lotus907 on twin 40's would damage the engine as it would run lean! The conclusion I reached was that there were a couple of posters on the last forum who offered opinions on things as if they were facts, when they actually knew Jack.

One of the things I like about TLF is information sharing and mechanic owners prepared to help and share good info with newbies.

Guy is a knowledgeable engineer owner on his 2nd elite, so he won't be spooked by misinformation, but if he was a newbie, he might have been.

Posts without basis in fact help nobody.

.... i was not that poster...as i would never say that about 40ies carbs.....

anyway..back to the waistband...lotus fitted the waistband trim, because the bodies are made in 2 sections: upper and lower - these had been glued together.

and this area was covered by the trim.

so its disussable now, if the strength of this area is weakend or not when flattend ?

in case of buying such a car, potential buyers will always prefer a car without flattened waistband ...even in reality it might not be that weak as expected...might be...might be not?

at the time you want / need to sell the car, it will be considered as a permanently impairing value, people will recognize it...so its definately worth thinking about that issue.

Edited by Elite7

will probably not bother with the waist trim unless the classic car investment bank lunatic fringe start to sniff about in which case I will pretend that it used to belong to Peter Sellars or Richard Nixon or someone even more unlikely. I expect some photoshop fraud would be fun and I could make my fortune and retire.

Thanks for the clarity on the waist trim, i thad though that they were injection moulded GRP bodies so dont understand what the issue is with covering over a mould line with polyester filler ?

Chemically there is no real issue and to my eye it just makes the lines even more uncompromising and less kit car like.

The paint is shocking and will all have to come off anyway. thinking about lamborghini green but the lagoon blue is so Cool.

Replacement engine sitting on my bench waiting for new pistons before I put it back together.

the Autobox is knackered and I think my only mod will be fitting a maunal box and pedal box which I have bought. I am hoping the taller final drive will make for a more relaxed cruising speed. Next job to remove the dash and replace it with the natty black vinyl one I have with all the correct switches etc, replace the steering column and tractor ignition switch ( i kid you not) 

My god it is a bit of a heap but I just have to save it.

Btw I was looking through my documents on the computer, and found the Lotusbits "improving your elite" PDF. In there is a photo of Mike Taylors own yellow elite, which has the waist trim removed..... It reminded me of this thread.

I can't see it being an issue until people start saying "I removed my waist trim and now may car has split in half", I'm sure the trim is a cost thing from Lotus, much cheaper to tidy the join line with a rubber trim than grinding, reshaping and refinishing the outside of the car.

Mat.