free hit
counters
S4s tyres? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I run AD08’s on the front in 245/40 x17 and AO52’s in 295/35 x 18 on the rear and find them a great tyre, just need a bit of warming in the winter 

I run the AD08R's on mine.  235 40 17  on front and 295 30 18 rear..   I do run a 10.5  rear but the tyre sits very well on that ..  The 235 40's fill the rim on the front perfect , where  some tyre b

Im sure Bibs got it from the factory a few years back  that you could go plus or minus 10mm width without any problems. I think my rears are slightly smaller but  I will bin the set every 3 years ( wo

Posted Images

If you mean the 285/35-zr18 rear and the 235/40-zr17 front, there are some good alternatives. I've just recently bought a set of that size from toyo T1-S assymetric, and they stick very well.

Kind regards

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Yep that's what I have just fitted to mine ,stick very well,it is utterly amazing how good a new set of boots are, improved braking handling you don't realise how much tyres go 'off' until you fit a new set.

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just checked Toyo tyres as i need a new set of boots soon and they dont do a 235/40/17!  Im sure they did when I looked back in 08

Im sure Bibs got it from the factory a few years back  that you could go plus or minus 10mm width without any problems. I think my rears are slightly smaller but  I will bin the set every 3 years ( worn or not). I think fresh rubber is far more important than running a 225 rather than a 235 tyre ( cant remember exact size).   I remember years ago when I got my old excel it had 8 year old tyres on it. The difference  was night and day  between the old and new rubber. 

• Like 1

^ Exactly that :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thats the reason im changing mine, they are 6 years old with lots of tread but i noticed on the fronts a small amount of cracking on the edge.  I am sure recomendation is to change tires every 5 years.

I was at my mates the other week and he is restoring an old caravan, he was chuffed the tires had lots of tread until I pointed out that they were Good Year Grand Prix S so at least 30 years old!

When you think your contact area with the road is not much more than 3-4 sheets of A4 in size I would rather be on grippy rubber than something that's morphed in to plastic.   On the otherhand  tyre tech has changed a lot in 25-30 years so are we loading up our suspension to a greater degree than it was made for?   

Ian29gte, I've just bought a set, and they have plenty in stock, so just order. I think though, that they are more expensive outside UK?

Link:

Font tires are Toyo Proxes T1-Sport assymetric: 

Arh, forget it. I cannot insert links.... ;(

I'll write you a pm, maybe that will Work?

Otherwise, look at www.daekonline.com And find Toyo summer tires, at 235/40-17ZR front

and 285/35-18ZR rear, in the T1-Sport assymetric version. " to chose from on each end. Very good tires in my Humble view.

If you need help at the page, just give me a ping.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Ian, You've got a pm.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Lurking around, I can see for example Continental Sport Contact 3, for both front and rear. and many others.

Cheers,

Jacques.

• 3 years later...
On 14/07/2014 at 23:07, Jacques said:

Very good tires in my Humble view

I need new tyres (especially the front axle but all the four corners are old anyway) and it seems there is not so much options for people who want the same tyres front and rear. So, I am considering buying a set of Toyo T1 Sport (https://www.toyotires.eu/tire/pattern/proxes-t1-sport).
So, has time confirmed those tyres are good on an Esprit? Nothing went wrong after 1000miles? :D
Any other alternative to consider? (standard S4s 235/40 17 and 285/35 18)

No flaws really. I drove them in torrential rain 3 times during the last four years, and while taking it easy, there were no aquaplaning at those times. Grip is very good on dry road, and so is braking. Front tires can be worn out first, depending your geo and driving style. No funny steering, but good solid steering, but they may move about a Little when riding White stripes on lane changing. They don't get glowingly hot when driving, but warm enough to stick to the asphalt well. I will buy the same again with no hessitation, for sure. Be sure to note the production date on the sidewall, so you get as fresh tires as possible.

Can fully recommend them. I have had two sets and I got them all from:

https://www.daekonline.dk/start.html?s_kwcid=AL!432!10!9567655675!40899996349:loc-53&ef_id=Wd4qOgAAAE3x-myj:20171011142706:s

which I am sure is also represted en France. I think it's owned by Delticom in Germany and sold in many countries.

Anyway, go get them;)

Salut mec,

Jacques.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as a continuation rather than start another one.

What is the current consensus on the tyre situation on the S4s? I'm having real trouble finding a much choice by way of matching pairs of tyres even if I expand my search to +/-10mm. I see the Toyo T1 Sports are available but I've had Toyo tyres before and not found them to be to my personal liking, so trying to find another alternative and not having much luck.

The tyres on mine must be the thick end of a decade old I reckon, so are in iminent need of replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

The Proxes T1 is not their best tire. I've been through a few sets on another car, and won't be buying them Again.

But the Proxes Sport is a much better tire. A bit stiffer sidewall, better traction, better grip and drains okay when surprised by a serious downpour.

And surprisingly it lasts fairly okay. I've just bought a third set of those for the Esprit.

They do make them in 285-35/18 and 235/40-17 for the S4s and V8 Wheels in 18 * 10 rear and 17 * 8,5 front. So a matched set. Surely far better than the Kumho mentioned above, which tends to slip much earlier. I have a set of those too. But in all fairness, it's an okay tire.

Kind regards,

jacques

• Gold FFM

I have the Proces T1-R  on the front of my SE, and am quite happy with them. It was the only suitable tire I could find in 215/50R15 or 225/50R15. Grip in the wet is good enough to prevent understeer unless pushing. To do tend to lock up fairly easily under hard braking on wet roads. I would have preferred the Dunlop Sport 9000 (IIRC) I had on my previous Esprit, but those are no longer available unfortunately.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

T1-R is a good budget tyre... Competent - not ‘amazing’, but great value. And they come in Esprit friendly sizes (ish)

I agree about the Pirelli’s being far too expensive, I would have liked them on my carb turbo but can’t justify that amount of cash on tyres! Can they really be 4 times  as good as the Toyos? I doubt it...