free hit
counters
OMG - It just gets scarier - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

But it's centralization of waste. Some huge percentage of the emissions produced by road traffic is from older cars. A 10 year old car polutes at a much much bigger rate than newer cars. Put it this way, a pre 94 car is allowed to put out nearly 16 times as much as a post 94 car! But you can't suddenly make them less poluting.

With electric cars you can drop the eco-footprint of every electric car in the country by changing the power stations. It's a good idea in principle, but until the Lotus electric car comes out (Tesla anyone?) we're hardly going to be interested in buying one.

As long as coal is used to produce electricity, electric cars pollute more than normal cars due to loss of energy when converting it from fossil fuel to electric energy to stored electric energy to electric energy to kinetic energy instead of directly from fossil fuel to kinetic energy. (4 energy conversions instead of just one, where each link leads to energy loss!)

In addition, producing a new car pollutes more than driving an old car for ten years! No matter how 'environmental friendly' this new car is. Therefore, it's most environmental friendly to drive an old car (that obviously already is produced) until it falls apart instead of trashing it in favour of a new car. I got these numbers from an environment enthusiast scientist several years ago, so they might have changed since then.

F***ing tree hugging hippies - but then I think any regular reader here knows how I feel about the foul smelling, hemp wearing, pot smoking, sandal buyers :P

Actually, cotton producers are responsible for 70% of the insect pesticides in the world, hemp can be produced without! It's also possible to produce 10 times more clothes of hemp than of cotton on the same area of land. As a bonus, hemp is more durable than cotton. I have several clothes made of 50% hemp 50% cotton and people don't believe me when I tell it's hemp, they look and feel just like 'normal' clothes. Sadly, it's difficult to obtain normal looking hemp clothes because most people think of it as 'hippie clothing', which leads to most people buying it are hippies, which leads to most hemp clothes produced is 'hippie clothes' which leads to most people think of it as 'hippie clothing' which leads to most people buying it are hippies, which leads to... :P It's also illegal in most countries to produce hemp because the half-blind politicians can't see the difference between hemp and marihuana :P

And no, I don't consider myself a tree hugging hippie (would I be driving an Esprit if I where? :) ), but I try to do small steps to pollute less where I see it don't interfere with my comfort. And I think it would be a great step for the environment if all people start thinking like me :P

Ps. Don't tip off the norvegian government of these parking taxes, they will think it's a GREAT idea! We get new import taxes next year based on CO2 emissions from cars, which leads to heavy polluting diesel cars becomes cheaper because it's 'a different type of pollution', and environmental friendly ethanol cars becomes more expensive for opposite reason :P Estimates are that some 80% of new cars sold in Norway next year are diesel cars :P

Edited by sephyr

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the house of commons bar and restaraunt.

[sorry Nick had to edit swear words a few times - Kimbers]

You're wrong

Do your research

If you're going to say stuff like that be CORRECT

That's not even getting into the rest of what you said

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

keep it nice guys (and fishes),

any biting or pulling hair and

i'll lock it. :P

I think we should have a 'Politics' sub folder,

Then the people who really want to (and have

the right after all) talk about it lots and lots, can

form massive threads where they all fall out.

Fishy can moderate it so i don't have to read it.

I'd like that.

:P

:)

One thing we all agree on, here in the UK is that we are overtaxed, over PC'd, over regulated and over seen by Europe.

Lets talk about something else........ :(

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

The joy of a threaded forum is that no one has to ready ANY of this unless they click it, open it and choose to! :)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

Put simply, economic activity creates pollution, without economic activity we will be a lot poorer. Taxation is at best a complete waste of time as it merely moves the problem from one area of economic activity to another. Increased taxes are also wasted...road tax does not pay for improved roads but MP's pensions and other such trivia. Cars pollute, planes pollute, cows pollute. You will never get a consensus on the allocation and distribution of resources, it is the MAIN reason we have so many wars on this planet. God is occasionally blamed for it but in the end everyone wants part of the pie. The pie is of finite size, the arguments are only gonna get bigger...

I'm off out to protest about "farty" cows at the local farm... :)

Stuart

Already looking forward to my v8, the day is edging closer when I can join the ranks of the gas guzzler, in the meantime I'll be doing 40mpg in my noddy car.

...yeah and those silly things like hospitals... schools... policemen... fire brigades... ambulances...

Yeah but those expenses don't go into their own pockets - they pay for running their offices in the House Of Commons, their Constituency Office - Rent - wages for staff etc etc etc

eg 3 members of staff on

The joy of a threaded forum is that no one has to ready ANY of this unless they click it...

Moderators do.

Especially if another Mod is getting very angry about political things again,

how do i know you won't abuse your position of power on these people???

Rave on, i'm off up the pub!

:)

You didn't see my own posts I deleted! :)

I did :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

If you want full details of our illustrious leaders ineptitude then I would suggest reading The Bumper Book of Government Waste by Matthew Elliot & Lee Rotherham. They are part of the taxpayers alliance and monitor government expenditure. Further details at www.taxpayersalliance.com. Unlike the company I work for, fiscal responsibility is not something governments are known for. Short of money, well the motorist has plenty more to give.

I would like to think our taxes go on hospitals, schools, roads, and the occasional war abroad. But a lot of it disappears into private hands through PFI and other dodgy funding initiatives. How come our so-called privatised railways are still heavily subsidised by the taxpayer?

Our government interferes in almost every aspect of peoples lives, something which they have no mandate for. Street lights and soldiers, that's all they should be involved in funding...

The motorist is an almost limitless source of easy revenue, it is indeed scary.

Stuart

Read any NAO report and yes indeed you will find there is wasteage :( alongside the good work that DOES get done.

Railways? - ask Maggie - everyone told them it was bo11ocks to privatise them. Why are they still subsidised? Because they employ THOUSANDS and thousands of people and shore up the entire infrastructure of the country (be it moving industry, goods or people) and if they go down the pan the entire economy collapses! It's not rocket science that you need to ensure the continuity and integrity of said infrastructure.

PFI - right or wrong it has enabled the biggest Hospital construction program EVER. Oh that will be where that other money's going.

As for motorists/revenue? I'm sorry mate bit that's just nothing to do with it - It's a genuine (WRONG - but genuine) belief among the tree hugging hippies that cars are the root of all evil and drivers are indeed a p155 easy target to make it LOOK like they're doing something 'green'.

I hate speed cameras but they are in NO WAY a great revenue raiser.

They make

You're wrong

Do your research

If you're going to say stuff like that be CORRECT

That's not even getting into the rest of what you said

I thought I had heard this on the BBC news at the time the ban had been voted on and passed in the commons. I was under the impression the ban had included two exemptions, the house of commons bar and prisons. A quick search on the net confirms this. A report by Oxford University students contains the following and can be found here:

http://www.oxfordstudent.com/ht2006wk7/Fea...our_social_life

This is an extract:

Finally, I ask if smoking has been banned in the House of Commons bar. Funnily enough, it hasn

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

- Mario Andretti

I work in the House of Commons and have done for 10 years.

They amended it to correct that anomaly. I checked that one within the House a couple of months ago.

It's not exempt.

I strongly suggest you stop making accusations that politicians on either side of the House in the UK are corrupt.

My pint of Hook norton copper ale cost the same tonight as it did on tuesday night.

Although i think salt and vinegar McCoys might have gone up.

Anything else is a bonus to me.

Paul,

Its a good job you dont have to buy stainless steel sheet, Running at an average increase of 10% per MONTH, or so my supplier tells me. When you use 2 grands worth of S/S in one fuel tank , how can you quote ahead for export deals that can take months to close.

All is not well with the economy......

Mike :):(:(

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

I am sure Paul is well aware as I am the cost of raw materials, we electricains are used to copper and now steel prices going up..

copper cable above a certain size changes price daily and some wholesalers will only hold a price on steel good (conduit, trunking, unistrut) for a week.

unfortunatly it meen the steel in some of our good is getting thiner to maintain a competitive price.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

I am sure Paul is well aware as I am the cost of raw materials, we electricains are used to copper and now steel prices going up..

copper cable above a certain size changes price daily and some wholesalers will only hold a price on steel good (conduit, trunking, unistrut) for a week.

unfortunatly it meen the steel in some of our good is getting thiner to maintain a competitive price.

Last year i stripped a staircase at a college ready to rewire.

The cable for the whole staircase as scrap was

of course all that money goes back to the firm doesnt it??

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

I strongly suggest you stop making accusations that politicians on either side of the House in the UK are corrupt.

I must admit I have no idea why people want to become MP's or even less why they want to be ministers. The pay isn't great. The work's hard and the job security is rubbish. They could make more as lawyers. When legislating, they are just trying to do what people want so they might get back in at the next election. We have only ourselves to blame for these ideas coming to fruition. The motorist is just not organized enough to stand up for himself against the other, anti-motorist lobbies. We prefer to moan about taxes, speed cameras, clamping, congestion charges, etc. down the pub or on an internet forum. You all need to join something like the Association of British Drivers and be heard.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

The jury is out on that one until the cash for honours police enquiry finishes. :)

Most people will happily say that a committee is guaranteed to come up with stupid ideas and bad solutions, e.g., the old joke of a camel is a horse designed by a committee. But no-one wants to say the same about democracy.

Democratic countries rant on about it being the best form of government, but it's just a committee. If you, as the person at the top, have to do what others want to appease them so you stay in power then you are making committee like decisions.

People don't know what they want. You have to show them. So if you give them what they ask for it will be wrong, mainly because people don't think about immediate consequences and using what they asked for in the future.

Is your seatbelt on? I want to try something