free hit
counters
Question regarding "Magnolia" leather - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Question regarding "Magnolia" leather

I have been having some trouble finding a color match for my alleged 'Magnolia' colored leather in my 1993 Esprit (US Version)....

I was told by Lotus' Mel Broome that I had Connoly leather and that the color was Magnolia per my interior trim code found on the plaque under the bonnet. He told me how Connoly was "no longer trading" which I assume to mean they went out of business/bankrupt. He gave me the number of someone that specialized in leather interiors and used to be a Lotus employee in order to find a match. The leather sample that person sent was noticeably darker than what is in my car. I had another upholstery shop send me a sample of leather matched to Jaguar "magnolia" which was supposedly Connoly also and it is even more dark...looks like a light tan compared to my "cream" color.

Anyone ran into this trouble? I know colors can fade, but the difference in these samples to my interior seems excessive, and areas that are not exposed to the sun don't match the samples. I was mainly trying to find a matching dye to repair some seat bolsters where the surface of the leather is flaking but looks like it could be dyed with good results.

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

wow, i was just about to start a topic on how to dye leather to a magnolia finish myself!!!

please, any details on anything leather dying related are highly appreciated from anyone! I know there are some other threads on this forum but anything else will help!

shade

In a car that had V8 magnolia seats installed I too have noticed that later 90's seats did look a little darker compared to early 90's magnolia.

I had the black leather which is easier to manage and seemed to hold up and age gracefully compared to the Lotus tan interiors. I have noticed that the tan interiors tend to pick dirt and grime in the grain no matter how careful one is or how often they are cleaned and treated. I remember conversations years ago with 89 SE owner about the problens with the magnolia as they age and color shift. The leatherique while helping to condition the leather and keep it from cracking and shrinking had a tendency to turn the neutral color seam stitching to a darker color almost gray or black making them stand out.

Leathrique will custom make a dye if you take a snip of leather as a swatch sample from under one of the seats and send it to them to be color anlayzied. There is an over lap of leather on the bottom side of the seats that no one will notice if you snip a piece off. Also this sample of leather is pretty pristine as it has never seen the direct sun or exposed to any wear.

Also scuffs and wear in many locations can be lightly sanded with sand paper to smooth the stubbles down a bit and buffed before re-dying. In extreme damage areas a grain simulator will have to used to help blend in the affected areas.

Shadeone you are probably the same person who lives in Richfield and a member of the LOON's, if you want I can lend local help this winter with the leather and any other problems your SE might have as I live 15 min away in EP. I'm pretty familiar with the 90 SE

Regards,

Calvin

Shadeone you are probably the same person who lives in Richfield and a member of the LOON's, if you want I can lend local help this winter with the leather and any other problems your SE might have as I live 15 min away in EP. I'm pretty familiar with the 90 SE

Regards,

Calvin

yep, thats me! i have no problems with the leather in my car currently, i just want it a nice cream-ish color like pauls instead of the typical dark tan...

ill let you know if i ned help with anything! thanks!

didnt mean to thread hijack here paul! :blink:

p.s. check your pm's again...

shade

I found this a while back, it's undated but I think from 1992-1994... the 'Magnolia' matches my 1989 Magnolia trim, but I've seen much lighter 'Magnolia' on post 1990 cars... :blink::D

Esprit%20trim%20colours%20(1992).jpg

Obviously there will be colour match issues between my scanner & your monitor, but the Calypso Red & Norfolk Mustard can be used as good baselines; IIRC I originally scanned it for someone who wanted to know if they had Magnolia or Tan (aka Fawn) leather.

I think I dated it by the inclusion of Azure as the metallic blue, but Ruby as the replacement for Silk Red, but I'm no real paint options chronology expert :unsure::o

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

I found this a while back, it's undated but I think from 1992-1994... the 'Magnolia' matches my 1989 Magnolia trim, but I've seen much lighter 'Magnolia' on post 1990 cars... :blink::lol:

My Magnolia is a lot lighter than that color chart. The samples that Nick Fulcher (sp?-upholsterer that used to work for Lotus) sent me were a match to the color chart. I just don't see how the color could have faded that much from original.

Edited by Paul93Lotus

My Magnolia is a lot lighter than that color chart. The samples that Nick Fulcher (sp?-upholsterer that used to work for Lotus) sent me were a match to the color chart. I just don't see how the color could have faded that much from original.

I don't think they have really faded. Easy enough to tell take a look under the seat the leather is usually in pristine shape not having been exopsed to the sun, any cleaning agents or anything else that may cause a color shift. That would be the true color

• 13 years later...