free hit
counters
Fuel tank filling - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Fuel tank filling

Chillidoggy

Prompted by Stimpy's earlier admissions, I wondered about the Esprit fuel tanks, and the filling thereof.

I believe they are interconnected, and if so does that mean you only have to fill them from one side? Or is the transfer such a slow process that both need to be topped up? Or is it that you fill one up, and by the time you've removed the nozzle, the level has dropped due to the transfer, and you have to start again?!

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The balance pipe is fairly substantial so when you fill one tank, the other will end up 3/4 full kinda idea. If you really want to top if off, you can go around the other side and add some more fuel but you'll not get much in. What isn't a bad idea is removing the caps from both filler necks, then the tank you aren't filling has a better chance of expelling the air and filling quicker.

What's not a good idea I was told by a garage is to park in the middle of 2 rows of pumps and use 1 from either side in either tank, they don't like that so much! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks. I guess the rate of transfer will slow the closer the levels get to each other. Thought the idea of using two pumps was pretty cool, but I can understand why they might get a bit narky about it!

Margate Exotics.

I find that you can't fill at the full pump speed (at most petrol stations) as the fuel blows back very easily.

I always open both filler caps, and fill from the side closest to the pump. Very rarely do I go round and fill the other side.

Chris

• Gold FFM

I count to 10 too, but that's just to let my diastolic settle down after looking at the cost indicator.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I went to a fuel service station a while back and young man filling it didn't listen to my very clear warning not to fill it at full speed as it would over flow. Sure enough gas dribbling down the side of the car.

I undo both caps, pull up with the pump nearest the passenger side, undo drivers side cap as I walk round the back of the car to fill up from the passenger side. (I don't count to 10)

I've found that if you jack up the filler side (single cap Esprit) of the car just prior to filling up, the "downhill side" tank fills much more rapidly, as the balance pipe angles accordingly from horizontal. 

As a time saving technique, "best practices" is achieved by utilising the nifty quick lift device shown below. But you may need a tyre pressure air hose extension, depending upon the petrol station's geometry (i.e., distance from petrol pump to air supply).

HerkulesAJ3UpDowncopy.jpg

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

There was a weirdo on here years ago called Teigan who took wood to the petrol station and placed 2 blocks in front of the wheels on one side to raise it up before filling up. He got banned.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

We had a strange bloke at work who put his chair on 4 blocks of wood. He also smoked a pipe, and would go outside into the public phone box to smoke it. He didn't last long.

I found Teigan amusing in a masochisitic sort of way..... As for filling Esprits, I'm in the take both caps off camp. I find that, if you get the nozzle angle spot on right, you can fill at max rate......mostly. Our old Airtourer used to be a swine to fill as most bowsers would pump so fast that avgas went running down the wing root from the filler...once at Norfolk they had to fill her so slowly the Veeder counter on the bowser wouldn't work so we had to negotiate hiow much we paid for......then off to Amsterdam....(!)

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Don't the later cars have bigger bore  balance pipes.  The balance pipe on my 88 car isn't much bigger than normal fuel line between 2 banjo fittings.  I think later cars have a ridged  ally pipe. I flip both caps and switch sides.

There was a weirdo on here years ago called Teigan who took wood to the petrol station and placed 2 blocks in front of the wheels on one side to raise it up before filling up. He got banned.

Banned from a filling station? Bit harsh, really.

Margate Exotics.

The ability to fill Her up is a bit of a nirvana for me. At best, filling from one side gets me just over half full. I like John's idea of the Jack but what about parking on a slope for a while before filling? 

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

When pointing the nozzle at a jaunty angle, is it best left or right handed?

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

When I joined this forum, I was under the illusion that I would be able to find all kinds of expert help on all matters Esprit. But really, no-one has actually come up with a definite angle of dangle for inserting your nozzle.

Seriously, what the hell kind of instruction is "9 o'clock"? I can just see my missus stood in the filling station looking at her watch waiting until it's time to fill the car up...........

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.