free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit s1 - boot and engine bay paint - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Esprit s1 - boot and engine bay paint

Hello all. Does anyone know the answer to the following. When the esprit was manufactured was the engine bay lower area left unpainted in the fiberglass colour or was it sprayed black? Also was the front boot area left unpainted? I'm considering painting mine, but would like to rebuild as close to original as possible. thanks all.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All black on my car Fabian but the early cars were not necessarily identical across the run.

I would go with black which from memory is all I have ever seen.

The front wheel arches and the forward bulkhead are colour coded of course

My car is the 30th off the production line and mine is all black. It's a satin black rather than a matt or gloss though.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• 2 weeks later...

Going to try VHT satin black epoxy based paint for the high temperature areas in the engine bay. It's not resistant to UV light but since there is no direct exposure chalking should not be a problem. Apparently Lotus used Satin black expoxy manufactured by Trimite paints who are still in business today. They can supply the paint but only in 5 litre cans. So going to use the American VHT brand which is readily available on the internet.