free hit
counters
Weird start-up Noises - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
spoonito

Weird start-up Noises

When I first got the car (2001 V8) everything was fine. The past couple days when I start the car there's a loud metallic screeching noise for about a second. It isn't always there. When the car's fully warmed up, lets say a 20-30 minute drive, when I start it up again it won't always make the noise. It has been cold around here lately (40 degrees). I called the Lotus dealership and the mechanic said "Its normal on some cars. Some do it some don't" and I don't want to drive there if there's nothing wrong (more than an hour drive away). And since its an hour away, the car will be warmed up and they may not be able to recreate the noise when I get there. Also I don't want to sit on it and then it turns out to be a problem and I'll have to pay big bucks for something that could have been easily prevented. None of my other cars ever made a noise like that, but then again I've never owned an exotic. I think it's the starter going bad, but as I said the Lotus mechanic said it was normal.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Garage:

2001 Lotus Esprit V8

2003 Kawasaki ZX6RR

1994 Toyota 4Runner

Wish list:

MV Agusta F4-1000 Tamburini

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
When I first got the car (2001 V8) everything was fine. The past couple days when I start the car there's a loud metallic screeching noise for about a second. It isn't always there. When the car's fully warmed up, lets say a 20-30 minute drive, when I start it up again it won't always make the noise. It has been cold around here lately (40 degrees). I called the Lotus dealership and the mechanic said "Its normal on some cars. Some do it some don't" and I don't want to drive there if there's nothing wrong (more than an hour drive away). And since its an hour away, the car will be warmed up and they may not be able to recreate the noise when I get there. Also I don't want to sit on it and then it turns out to be a problem and I'll have to pay big bucks for something that could have been easily prevented. None of my other cars ever made a noise like that, but then again I've never owned an exotic. I think it's the starter going bad, but as I said the Lotus mechanic said it was normal.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The noise is not normal. The bendix could be sticking on your starter. It may show up more when its cold. There is a great Lotus mechanic 1/2 hour south of Sycamore. Email me at [email protected] and I'll give you his number.

Eric

Sounds like a fob off to me.

Does it change with revs, usually a tight belt pulling on a worn bearing...becuase it's too tight, when it heats up the bearing case swells and the belts become more supple which is why it goes.

Common on alternators, air con + anything driven by the ancillary belt - ya might wanna get them checked for tension.

facebook = [email protected]

Sent you an email. thanks alot for the help!

The noise is not normal. The bendix could be sticking on your starter. It may show up more when its cold. There is a great Lotus mechanic 1/2 hour south of Sycamore. Email me at [email protected] and I'll give you his number.

Eric

The noise is only there during start-up when the weather is cold. When I first got the car it didn't make any noises. Only the past couple days because its been rainy and in the low 40s.

The car did just have $5.5k worth of service including replacing some seals, new belts, replacing worn out weatherstripping, etc. I don't think the bearing are worn (20k miles) but I could be wrong.

Sounds like a fob off to me.

Does it change with revs, usually a tight belt pulling on a worn bearing...becuase it's too tight, when it heats up the bearing case swells and the belts become more supple which is why it goes.

Common on alternators, air con + anything driven by the ancillary belt - ya might wanna get them checked for tension.

Garage:

2001 Lotus Esprit V8

2003 Kawasaki ZX6RR

1994 Toyota 4Runner

Wish list:

MV Agusta F4-1000 Tamburini

The car did just have $5.5k worth of service including replacing some seals, new belts, replacing worn out weatherstripping, etc. I don't think the bearing are worn (20k miles) but I could be wrong.

Not suprised - ya need a second opinion on it then, car at work does it - start up and it goes scrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrech until you tap the throttle and it goes away. One possible cause is when the tensioner is too tight on the drive belt and the belt is pulling any one of the bearings too tight and it squeels esp if damp is inside it.

If it is something like the alternator and you can live with it then fine but for the sake of a few $$ I'd have someone double check that's all it is. Doesn't sound immensly shocking but the amount of probs I've seen stem from small tiddly things like this it's always worth your wallet checking it out and being safe as opposed to sorry.

facebook = [email protected]