free hit
counters
Bees in the roof space! - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Stirling_Villeneuve

Bees in the roof space!

A few hours ago we had a swarm of bees over the house, seems they liked the place as they've found a nice gap in the weather boarding and come inside! 

I don't have a issue with bees as such and we do need them but anyone know if they're likely to become a problem? Definitely bees, probably honey bees... 

I'm tempted to leave 'em, live and let live etc. Any thoughts, options???

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The Council will come and sort out wasp nests in private homes but they dont  do bees as they should be no risk. Not sure if there is a problem but like Andy said sometimes these things can lead to other problems. Norfolk Council website says this.

"

Honey bees

Honey bees do swarm and a swarm may consist of a large number of bees, many hundred or even many thousands clustered on a branch, tree, bush etc. Honey bees can suddenly arrive as a large cloud of bees and can be quite noisy. When settled, bees will may be seen flying to and from the cluster as they search for a new permanent home. If they are left alone they will normally move on within a couple of days or so. Honey bees do sting and will do so if provoked. If they are left alone there should be no problems. The occupier of the property should seek professional advice from a beekeeper concerning their removal and should not attempt to tackle the swarm themselves.  For advice and information on honey bee swarms in the Norwich area, please visit the Norfolk Beekeepers' Association website"

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Contact a local bee keeper they will come and collect the swarm we had this at our old unit.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

We had a swarm move into an outdoor BBQ, had to get a bee guy to come out and zap 'em

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

with the horrendous decline of the honey bee in the UK, I would get in touch with a local beekeeper, they will be more than happy to take them away.

:)

It's getting there......

Whatever happened to Dan Basterfield? He's an Esprit owner and master bee keeper! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

with the horrendous decline of the honey bee in the UK, I would get in touch with a local beekeeper, they will be more than happy to take them away.

:)

Absolutely, I've got no intention of doing anything unpleasant... we've had wasps nests in the roof a couple of times, ( the house is weather bordered and essentially a huge hive! ), and even the wasps were ok housemates. We'll do the right thing, although if anyone wants them they're welcome! 

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I'd leave them where are if they are causing no problems. Interesting to watch them coming and going.

• Like 1

I'd leave them where are if they are causing no problems. Interesting to watch them coming and going.

must be boring in south yorkshire :thumbsup:

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

We had a local beekeeper pop by earlier, he was very envious! 

Apparently they're Honey Bees and he reckons they shouldn't be a problem so we're happy to have the extra 20,000 house guests! Shame we can't get to honey but we're looking into trying to temp them out to a hive in the garden if they make it through the winter. 

• Like 1

Whatever happened to Dan Basterfield? He's an Esprit owner and master bee keeper!

I tried popping in to see Dan about a month ago. His industrial unit is a stones through from Wiscombe where the hill climbe is. Unfortunately he wasn't in but now has a very impressive Company premises for his honey business. Esprit went about 2 years ago unfortunately.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

How lovely :) Nice to know that you're doing the right thing by the bees. Photos would be nice, please keep us updated!

"All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad."

~ Jeremy Clarkson (about the Lotus Esprit)

Not allowed to zap them here Trev, they are declining at such a fast rate, you'd be hung drawn and quartered!

That's awesome Sterling. Like you said would be great to get them managed by your local bee keeper and get some honey out of it? We have a lot of bumble bees where I live but haven't seen any honey bees this year at all! And I have a flowering garden, so you'd think a few would have popped by.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Guest Mutley00

must be boring in south yorkshire :thumbsup:

Nah - we've got a nest of bumblers in the roof above the study. Relaxing to watch them come and go with the Peak District hills lit by a setting sun in the background!

• Like 1