free hit
counters
Clutch replacement S2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Clutch replacement S2

Hi Guys,

Any adivice on changing a clutch on my S2, should I replace anything else apart from release bearing, pressure plate, friction/drive plate while the engine is out?

Will I have to drop the engine completely?

Cheers

Daren

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Check Nylotron bush on the shaft to see if it's in situ and put a new part anyway, and yes you need to remove engine for the job but to remount gearbox and engine as separate units would be very very tricky...better to fit the whole assembly from underneath as for manual.

G.

I agree with Giorgio.

It is much better to assemble gearbox and engine on the workbench and fit the whole.

Maybe the time to fit a new distribution belt. Piece of cake with the engine out.

Geert

Edited by gvy

Darren no need to remove the engine, the gearbox unbolts and comes out from below. Did mine on a 1979 JPS S2 to replace the rear main seal on the engine that was leaking onto the clutch. Having a four post list made the whole process effortless. Gave me a chance to cad plate all the bolts and powdercoat the brackets. Also rebuilt the brakes while the gearbox was out.

Gearbox.jpg

Gearbox%20front.jpg

• Like 1

thanks guys, I was hoping that I could just bring the gear box down and replace the clutch as I want to just have a drive in the car before I totally strip her down this winter while I collect all my parts I need for the restoration.

let you know how I get on with it!!

Cheers guys, Thanks Roo for pics, did the gear box come away and stright down relatively easy? I dont have a 4 post lift only axle stands which are about 600mm high would this be enough? I think it looks a massive job to drop the full engine & box just for the clutch as others suggest.

Gearbox came out very easily Darren. Once you disconnect the drive shafts and gearbox mounts you can tilt the engine/gearbox down at an angle. That allows you to slide the gearbox off the engine. 600mm should be plenty of room, use a jack to support the gearbox as you slide it back and off. Make sure you disconnect the radius arms/crossmember first and remove them so it's not in the way.

Daren you only need to replace the seal if it's leaking, like mine was. Engine had been rebuilt and the seal installed incorrectly without the right tool. I rented the centering tool so it was done correctly. I would leave well enough alone if your's is a dry as a nun's pussy!