free hit
counters
Tesla S OMG talk about grunt! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Tesla S OMG talk about grunt!

Had my first run in one, unfortunately only as a passenger. The acceleration is insane. One moment all is calm and quiet then it just explodes. No noise, no drama, just a nauseating thrust with G forces of who knows what.

Loved it. Wouldn't have one because of the recharging and battery issues, but if that's motoring's future it's a bright one.

DanR

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I drove the Telsa 'Elise' a few years ago and was amazed by the acceleration but I began to wonder how much of that feeling of OMG was down to the lack of noise... in the same way that as a passenger things always seem quicker. Either way it was a great car, be amazing if Lotus took the Telsa info and built a car that   handles! 

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Had my first run in one, unfortunately only as a passenger. The acceleration is insane. One moment all is calm and quiet then it just explodes. No noise, no drama, just a nauseating thrust with G forces of who knows what.

Loved it. Wouldn't have one because of the recharging and battery issues, but if that's motoring's future it's a bright one.

Funny you said 'nauseating' as that's exactly as I felt being driven in the back of one.

It's the first time I've ever felt sick in a car. Not sure what it was that caused it - speed, lack of noise or something else.

The only thing I really liked about the car were the rear facing seats that sat in the boot which I thought was a very clever design. 

I still get a grin every day from the Tesla Roadster acceleration.  Its about a second on paper faster 0 to 60 than my Esprit (3.7 vs 4.6) but in reality the gap is much bigger - its quite difficult to hook up a sub 5.5 second 0 to 60 in the Esprit (was trying this AM) and you always feel worried that something is going to break & to be honest you can only try this somewhere quiet away from other people.

In the Tesla you can do a perfect sub 4 second 0 to 60 from every traffic light, junction etc.  No need to rev up to 6000 rpm / drop the clutch and spin the wheels, just push you foot to the floor and prepare for your internal organs to be re-arranged as the acceleration pushes you back.  Like being on a fairground ride this does make some passengers feel sick after a while though.  

Both the Roadster and Model S are some way short of what you would expect from a Lotus in the handling dept.  Partly this is weight as the Roadster weight (it sits half way between the Elise and Evora) but mostly its setup.  Dial out the understeer (anti roll  and dampers are adjustable) and its not far off.

We get our Model S a week today so spending the week driving the Esprit as I suspect it will be having a rest in the garage for a while once we are a 2 Tesla family.

• Like 1

Electric traction is like steam engines...maximum torque at zero rpm! Hence the acceleration. Those of us ancient enough to remember the London Trolleybus will have first hand experience of that...these double decker behemoths could accelerate at a rate that would give 0 to 60 in about 11 seconds. Jolly impressive when you are walking up the middle trying to find a seat....hence the upright poles coming from every set of seats to the ceiling, so you could pull yourself along rather than falling over backwards!!

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Personally, I wouldn't even get into one. It bores me, it have no vibration, no noise, no fuel, no gearchange and clutch to Work with, no tradition, no finale, there's no interesting advanced engine that you can enjoy being in that right moment where everything clicks and you get an amazing drive.

To me, it's soulless, boring, and does not invite to be driven. It's just a robot.

An Esprit takes a man to get the most of, a tesla is a oversized lego toy, though very fast.

I will never be bothered to try.

Each to his own of course.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I'm often tempted to get one just or a test drive and check what kind of range I would really get in comparison to what they claim. I'm pretty sure reality will be 50% lower than claimed - much like my consumption in the Evora is 50% over claimed MPG.

On the other hand, how would I get the car back to the dealer when the battery is empty?   :help:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I would suggest that your Evora fuel consumption owes a lot to your right foot......(!) All these "stated figures" are more than a bit suspect. Wonder how much it would use towing the imaginary Tesla to the nearest charge point.....

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I'm often tempted to get one just or a test drive and check what kind of range I would really get in comparison to what they claim. I'm pretty sure reality will be 50% lower than claimed - much like my consumption in the Evora is 50% over claimed MPG.

On the other hand, how would I get the car back to the dealer when the battery is empty?   :help:

I get around 150 miles range on the Roadster out of the quoted 220 when driving normally.  I can get down to 120 miles driving really hard (I get 7mpg on a friends M5 driving like this).

As Jacques says - each to his own.  I have driven 60,000 miles in Esprits and 45,000 in my Tesla if I had to sell one or the other it would be a really tough choice but the Lotus would go as the Tesla is simply more fun to drive.  Probably not the most tactful place to say that  :sofa:

I think this is what will make Germany to the make or break market for e-cars. Premium cars are often driven at high speed on the Autobahn.  180+ Kph is normal,  but some of us consider anything below top speed a traffic jam. 

Probably the reason German carmakers are quite reluctant to go electric, even the hybrid models see designed for the export market. It will be interesting to see how the BMW I8 does. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I was searching around for a piece on Tesla Model S actual customer ranges experiences that I thought I'd seen, and came across this.

LOOK WHAT IS IN TESLA DESIGN STUDIO  :thumbsup:  

And as per my other thread, Musk is actually going to build a few, in the Esprit shape (10%) bigger on the Model S drive train. Should be cool....

Nope, I stand by my Words ;)

For example, I don't give a rats ar.. if someone made something quicker on 4 or two Wheels. I prefer exactly the ones I have.

For example my motorcycle is an old 1986 Motot Laverda SFC1000. My absolute dreambike. Likewise the Esprit and it's engine etc.  ;)

Where I do think Electric cars are smart is maybe (just maybe) poloution-wise and for use by pendlers and postmen, citybusses etc.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 3 months later...

Tesla have just added the P85D version of the model S.  Power is up to 700HP and 0 to 60 is now down to 3.2 seconds!

The new tech pack allows it to pretty much drive itself - it can even park its self with you not in the car!

http://www.gizmag.com/tesla-model-p85d-driver-assist/34123/

700bhp and 687lb-ft of torque with four wheel drive.... Geez.

"Very sorry officer, no I did not run these redlights, neither did I lay those elevenses, the car did it all by itself, it's autonomous you see and I'm so drunk I can barely see the wheel, I told the car to take me home in a hurry and I guess it was doing just that"

I wonder how many time police officer are going to here something similar in the next few months.

• 1 month later...

Parked next to this in Teignmouth in Devon today. Don't know much about them and can't be many about. Quite an imposing car close up.

189084B7-7860-41C6-9E52-51A25E10D1DD.jpg

ECC64237-D51A-4518-9518-DC9245EA691C.jpg

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I had a passenger ride in one early this year and the ferocity and immediacy of the acceleration left me with a sore head from where it had hit the headrest!

I occasionally commute from Kidderminster to Milton Keynes and I would have a Tesla in a heartbeat.  Has enough range and lots of original ideas and sets the standard for that type of car a bit like a Lotus.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Was at Darts Farm in Exeter today and saw that Tesla have sponsored a 2-bay recharge area in their car park with Tesla S on charge.....  Looked OK to me, but not really anything out of the ordinary.  Not sure if that's good or bad.  Bland generic shape will presumably appeal to the widest market....but something a bit more dramatic might help it get more attention.   Electric cars are still too expensive for the likes of me.  Will be more interesting when they are commonly available second hand with a new set of batteries for <£20k.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny