free hit
counters
Terminal 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Terminal 2

basalte

Saw my better half off at Heathrow`s brand spankin` new Terminal 2 Sunday morning.  Just United Airlines and Air Canada in there so far, partly to avoid the previous Terminal 5 disaster.

Except that they haven`t !  :angry: 

She is now Stateside and her luggage is  %^*&£^% knows where !  Gives her an excuse to go shopping I suppose  :sofa:

The BIG twisted - metal sculpture symbolising flight also reminded me of an aircrash - far from iconic !

(no disrespect to Iconic Ride if you read my other post because there are some rides that are indeed iconic, no problem).

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm SO glad I escaped Heathrow before terminal 5 opened....terminal 4 was a gentlemanly existence. I remember them opening the original Terminal 2...going through the tunnel under the runway was a novel experience; That and the Queen's Building next door with the spectator's gallery. Used to cycle over there to watch the aeroplanes...... I go back (just) to the original London Airport, which became London Airport North when the Centre Area opened. First time I went there, it was still tents....WD marquees. Years later, a similar marquee became my workshop....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

Seriously, you need to experience T5.  It's fantastic now, way better than the wonderful T4 ever managed.  Unfortunately it was a very poor start, for some pretty incredible reasons that didn't hit the press, and I won't voice my 'opinions' on a public forum.  Happy to educate people face to face though.

I've had my doubts about T2 though, and this thread sort of confirms them.  The terminal has no baggage processing facility; instead shooting the bags off to other terminals to be processed.  I think that's just another potential failure point.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I arrived at Gatwick from the US a few years ago, all the screens that told you which baggage carousel belonged to which flights were knackered. It was like a riot in the reclaim hall. I managed to spot my suitcase, though.

When I got home, I thought it strange as the padlock key didn't work and I had to cut it off. Imagine my wife's disappointment when instead of the no doubt eagerly-awaited small block Chevy bits, and Muncie M21 gearbox spares, it was full of skimpy ladies underwear, mini-skirts, make-up, and girlie novels. Took a bit of explaining that I wasn't a closet transvestite, and had simply picked up the wrong case.

So, I had to drive all the way back to Gatwick to swop cases.

Doh!

Margate Exotics.

Liz and I just went from here to Sydney and multiple luggage changes throughout Canada and Alaska and never got lost once.

We want to do Britain and Europe next. Do I have lost luggage to look forward to? :shock:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM

If she was a proper motor-bird, the input shaft would have made an ideal rabbit replacement. Especially as it was the close-ratio version.

The missus didn't let me keep any of the knicks, soiled though they were, and probably worth a few bob to the right bloke.

Margate Exotics.

The Missus`s luggage has now turned up via Los Angeles. She`s in `Frisco.

Apparently the pilot while at Heathrow knew full well that not all the luggage had been loaded and therefore delayed departure 90 minutes to wait for more of it-and then took off apologising to passengers  because he understandably couldn`t hang around further.

...kind of makes it all worse really, knowing from the off that they`ve screwed it up and yet they were still seemingly unable to remedy it promptly.

Edited by basalte

(no disrespect to Iconic Ride if you read my other post because there are some rides that are indeed iconic, no problem).

No worries, Dan. Being an understudy for Rodney Dangerfield has served me well. :D 

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• 1 month later...

As a bizarre postscript I`ve just bought a 1956  "London Airport" promotional brochure in Oxfam in Hereford...great stuff, interspersed with ads for the Bristol Britannia / Vickers Viscount, it explains how passengers are processed, stepping from their brand new Hillman Minx (the only car ad) wearing their Simpsons of Piccadilly suits (another advertiser), to the steps of the aircraft. It explains how planes can land without their pilots necessarily being able to see very well...

Of course the Queens Building shown in nearly every photo  is the old Terminal 2  now demolished. 

Most notably, Benson and Hedges proudly boast  of their cigarettes` wide availability on the world`s most prominent airlines, in an age when there were still airliner seats  facing the back.

I've been spending way too much time in T5 lately, and have to say I'm with Sparky as it's probably one of my favorite terminals, and I'm usually in and out quickly (especially enjoy the breakfast in the arrivals lounge)

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

I'll agree with the breakfasts in the Business Lounge!  Becoming quite partial to the bacon butties etc.

I used to HATE T5 with a vengeance only overtaken by having anything to do with CDG in Paris (but that is another thread topic I'd guess) and most of the source of that was the Security Section.  It is better but not great despite more belts but still has attitude you don't get so much elsewhere.  (60+ flights annually) I'd love to hear the real reasons Sparky.  The rest of the experience I have come to quite enjoy with time and SWMBO likes the shops if she is with me (rarely thankfully).  Also thankfully holidays aside I only travel with carry on so don't see the baggage grief but we haven't actually lost any baggage for many years now and & only had late into Edinburgh as missed connections on the way home.  So they get to deliver it and I didn't have to hump it in and out of the car. (I'll live to regret that statement!)

Having left from T4 a couple of times recently it is showing its age, but overall I'd say LHR is one of the better airports around.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Flew out and back from T5 (to Germany) last week. No problems from me (apart from being stuck on the tarmac for an hour due to thunderstorms!).

Luggage was processed quickly, in fact on return, by the time we got to the baggage area the bags were already there.

Straight through security on the way out, guy was friendly and helpful.

Actually parked the car in a hotel car park (stayed a couple of nights before flying) and used the Heathrow Pod

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

What's interesting about Terminal 2 at the moment is that LHR seems to be using some of the gates for Terminal 1 departures and arrivals.

Twice now I have taken a flight either from or to terminal 1 and had the long walk to/from the plane which is at at Terminal 2.

Terminal 2 seems very quiet - I think only a couple of airlines are using it at the moment.

I still prefer T5 especially the bacon buttes in the BA lounge.

BTW - has anybody else spotted the rather amusing sign when you leave the M25 heading clockwise to T5 where it shows that it's half a mile to T5 but the sign actually reads - Teminal 5 1/2 ?