free hit
counters
Anyone moved to IPS and regretted it ? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Anyone moved to IPS and regretted it ?

Don't want to start a manual vs IPS debate, as I'm aware some people like manual and some like autos / paddles. However have there been any owners that have gone from manual to IPS and later regretted it ?

Reason for asking is I've driven a few cars recently with paddles, including an Ariel Atom on a palmer day, and I've been very impressed how you can change gear mid corner , when cornering hard, and it doesn't upset the balance of the car. In the Atom example you could actually reduce a rear slide by changing up mid corner.

Now I know the IPS is old school vs the double clutch setups, but would like some honest feedback on how the IPS system works in an Evora vs those used to hussling through a manual box.

Cheers Dave

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of my long term test cars, my favourite was the MY12 S IPS and the one I'd like to own (for MPG if nothing else!) was the NA IPS. I was quite anti-auto, but read my reviews and you'll see it was very impressive to use, especially at either extreme eg in traffic or right on it!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yes have read your reviews Bibs, which have been very helpful.

Car is in with Silverstone at the mo for some warranty work, so will try out the s/h IPS S they have there, when I go to pick my car up next week. Will report back my thoughts.

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

It was a bit of a culture shock for me after many years in Elises but I got used to it. On one hand it makes the Evora an amazingly useful car for those tedious dull journeys, stuck in traffic, town driving etc, but the shift is seriously impressive when you get the chance to drive it on a decent road. I've never tracked mine but B&C tell me it's quite something on a track day too, I wouldn't I'd buy another car of that ilk without the paddles, just seems to suit the car and gives it so much flexibility. 

As for 'how it works', in auto mode it's pretty good, I don't so much notice it's learnt my shift style, more I notice it not shifting how it usually does whenever it has the software updated. It subtly picks up information from your driving and adjusts the shift pattern until you don't notice the decisions it makes. I still use the paddles quite often when it's in auto, but it's good to have the option to be lazy on the dull journeys too. In sports mode it comes alive and the throttle blipping on downshift is addictive. Shift seem fast enough and precise, I've no idea how the system stacks up to the double clutch systems though. 

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I agree. The IPS system is much more fun than I thought it would be. Without making all the obvious points and comparisons, I would sum it up as the difference between changing gear because to have to, and changing gear because you want to. The IPS has four modes so you have options. In sport mode it really is fantastic and because of the auto nature of the box, does so much more than the sport feature on the manual. You really do have to experience it to understand. Sport mode in the IPS transforms the car.

And, to a far lesser extent things like the cruise control make more sense if the car can change gear itself. And the funny thing is, I thought that I would become lazy and never use the paddles, but that's not happened. When I'm in town, or on the motorway, I ether don't want to change gear or there are no gears to change. When I just want to get there, I don't want to have to fanny about stirring coal. But, when I want to have fun I have paddles! Awesome. For overtaking and backroads, the paddles and the paddles in sport mode simply cannot be beaten. So, having owned an early manual and now an IPS I would wholeheartedly recommend the IPS. I will never now go back.

Other auto systems are quicker, I'm sure. But quicker than what? The IPS can change gear in an Evora far quicker than I ever could with a long stick and dodgy cables. And there are paddles! I mean, come on!

Awesome.

Sudders and Dany

I had a manual for 4 years. Ok. (65.000 KM)

I have now an IPS for more than one year (30.000 KM)

it works... yes. But I compare with two similar systems I own (Range Rover, Abarth)... and the Lotus IPS is not the way it should be. 

I had several updates, but the shifting is somehow unpredictable and often rude. It is OK, but it could be much more convincable. 

Thanks for review guys. Seems I need to try one out .

I was looking for one when I bought mine but they are like hens teeth, in the end I settled for a manual but I still hanker after an IPS and will change if the right one comes along ( or keep saving to get e new one)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I managed to take a MY12 IPS out for a test drive.

First impressions. In auto mode very impressed with smoothness of changes and love the auto blip on change down in sports mode. In manual mode the changes were still smooth, but there is a significant delay from pressing the paddle to the gear changing. Almost similar to a fast manual change. Not a problem if you drive the car in same manner as a manual.

However one of the reasons I fancied a paddle shift was the ability to use an up change as an alternative to backing off the throttle, when the rear starts to spin up in a corner. You definitely wouldn't have time to do this with IPS.

Hmmmmmmm.

Edited by DJW

You see, now you're getting technical. Paddles are ace and that is the sum total of my knowledge on the subject.

Sudders and Dany

Not sure changing gear with the rears spinning around a corner is ideal to be fair. The drop in RPM to the next gear would decelerate the rotation of the wheels and lead to a "swappings ends" moment I'd have thought. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

First impressions. In auto mode very impressed with smoothness of changes and love the auto blip on change down in sports mode. In manual mode the changes were still smooth, but there is a significant delay from pressing the paddle to the gear changing. Almost similar to a fast manual change. Not a problem if you drive the car in same manner as a manual.

Hmmmmmmm.

Never noticed a delay on my MY12, shifts are always fast and clean. 

Hmmmmmm! 

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Agreed. I've done 5k in mine and the gear changes feel pretty quick in all modes. In auto the changes can happen, very occasionally, when you weren't expecting it, but I put that down to either my bad driving or quick changes in traffic which the car can't anticipate.

Sudders and Dany

The changes are fast, it's just the time it takes from pressing the paddle to it deciding to change gear.

Re my comment on changing up when spinning, have experienced it driving a Cayman S, F Type and Ariel Atom. I'm assuming the changes are so fast from pressing paddles that it doesn't upset the balance of the car. Thought the same when f1 cars change gear mid corner.