free hit
counters
gearbox changes - Sport 350 Technical - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
benjamincalleja

gearbox changes

hey guys can anyone provide detailed tech info on what lotus changed about the gearbox to allow for the increase availability of torque in the lower gears?  I understand also that after it was implemented in the 350 sport, every v8 produced afterwards has the same strengthened gearbox?  Does that mean theoretically (ignoring the weight difference) that a v8 made post 350 sport era with the added 350 sport ECU would be nearly as fast?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The sport 350 are not that much faster from what I have read, it's more to do with the power delivery, there is an article on LEW says it had more torque in the lower gears.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

There is no difference in the sport 350 gearbox to the standard V8 gearbox. The difference was in the ECU removing the boost limiter in the lower gears.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Nope, no gearbox changes for the Sport350. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

last few lines of this say the gearbox was modified?

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/ETechnical/V8_ECU.html

also confirmed further down the page here?  ive read it in a few places, that the 350 sport had durability changes to the gearbox, strengthening.  I think i saw it on the old Derek bell page back in the day

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/british/131846-has-anyone-here-owned-lotus-esprit-v8.html

Ben, not absolutely sure but the changes were to the shift translator mechanism. The cable snaked around the rear of the box to have direct control of the side shift arm.

DanR

I'm in the camp that believes there were no changes between the standard V8 UN1 gearbox and that used in the Sport 350.

cheers

-Chris

No changes that I'm aware of, merely removed boost limits at lower gears as others have pointed out. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

No gearbox changes mentioned for the Sport 350 gearbox in the parts manual list of changes by model year.

Basically

1996 got new clutch housing and pull style clutch, slave, and release bearing.  Higher 5th gear ration, and reverse gear shaft brake to slow the transmission down to make reverse selection easier without grinding.

1997 got a new lightweight flywheel, low inertia twin plate clutch, cast iron clutch housing. (many cars retrofitted)

The 1998 V8 got a new low effort clutch release system with rigid pipe, revised clutch fork, and stiffer alloy clutch housing. They also released the new shift mechanism without the translator (big improvement IMO).

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

I've seen the new shift mechanism retrofitted to older V8s - how hard is this to DIY? I'm currently looking at a '96 V8 with the old setup... 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

I think you need to cut the chassis for it to work...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Changes went with the later master unit and gear change selectors on his replacement gearbox and IIRC he said there was no modifications required to the coolant pipes in the chassis contrary to the statement in the workshop manual.

Why would anyone want to retrofit the 97 cast iron clutch housing wouldn't it weigh a ton? And hey Danny do you know when australia stopped importing esprits by any chance? Or does anyone know? The latest model v8 I've seen here is 98. I'm in the market, the lone 350 sport ain't budging, the private import final edition in blue has disappeared and I'm still waiting.... O_o

Changes went with the later master unit and gear change selectors on his replacement gearbox and IIRC he said there was no modifications required to the coolant pipes in the chassis contrary to the statement in the workshop manual.

Yes Derek , you do remember correctly.. You can retro fit the later gear change assembly without any

mods to the chassis or the main cooling pipes that run through it.. That is any Stevens chassis onwards.

The only mod is to the exhaust mounting frame which the translator is also fitted. This will need reshaping

which requires some cutting and welding... This is only so it does not foul one of the selector cables, that's all..

On the strength of the box I do believe the last few UN1-027 had a stronger casing fitted but the gear clusters

where the same as the other V8 box's