free hit
counters
Corsa vs Trofeo - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Changed to Corsas today and not had chance to test them in the traffic this evening but they seem quieter which is welcome. I'm expecting not to feel a great deal of difference as I've driven 3 cars with Corsas but only on the road and wouldn't ever say they lacked grip or feedback so will be interesting on track next week. The rear Trofeos here not far from the wear markers after 3k miles but plenty left on the fronts. Nice even wear which was nice to see,

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on Trevor, Corsas must be the better tyre for this time of year.

I remember the hoo har about the V12 Vantage and its traction issues with tyres that didn't work below 4 degrees C. They were P-Zero Corsas and many were complaining they were too extreme then! Aston now offer the 'sotto zero' winter tyre for owners who drive all year round. Still, it shows how the Corsa is a proper performance tyre, we think of them as ordinary these days but they are far from it!

I was thinking exactly that about considering the Corsas a regular tyre when in fact they are what the name suggests. I deal with Blackboots in Chesham (excellent and reccomended) and they asked what I thought of the Trofeos and said they had a lot of people try them but none had opted again second time around. I drew from that the Trofeos are good but wear too quickly therefore not offering enough advantage over whatever were owners preference.

Trevor.

I'm ordering a second set of wheels and tyres just for track use (Team dynamics 1.2) I planned to fit Trofeo, but after reading people comments should I be looking at the Avons instead?

I've done 2 track days on the Corsa's and find them to overheat quite quickly but they are wearing well, there also a great all round road tyre. 

I'm ordering a second set of wheels and tyres just for track use (Team dynamics 1.2) 

Jeff, which version of the TD wheels are you getting, the set sold by Komo-tec or Seriously Lotus?  

They appear to have slightly different specs based upon my research.

Comparing Komo-tex's version to Seriously Lotus' wheels:  the offsets (ET) are different; the K-T front wheel is wider (8") and reported weights are different.  Perhaps I'm wrong that both companies are selling Team Dynamics wheels??

Any input would be appreciated.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Maybe we could get a discount for a group buy?  I was considering getting a set too.

• Like 1

Good idea but I've already ordered mine................. Typical !!

I'm not keen on the look personally and I am convinced that some factory forged wheels for the Exige are not far away.

I got out in the car this morning and first impressions are the Corsas are quieter which is welcome but most noticeable is the improvement is in directional stability. With the Trofeos I was very conscious not to let the steering wheel have too much slack as every now and then there would be variations in the road surface that tug at the wheel taking you off course. This seems to have been eradicated and a calmer drive now exists. Of course the Trofeos were great on track and no complaints whatsoever there but I did have concerns on their suitability on the road, not least of all from punctures. I would guess the side walls on the Corsas are stiffer too so look forward to seeing how they perform next week. I'll report back but remember I'm no expert so this is the view of Jo Average.

Trevor.

Good idea but I've already ordered mine................. Typical !!

Father Christmas delivered  ;)

post-17980-0-51379200-1419616851.jpg

• Like 1

Does someone has the same wear out at his Trofeos ? There is less wear all over the surface, but the outer ring is just gone.

Had only 1 trackday on this rear tyres.

Thanks for any comment.

20572129re.jpg

Edited by Freejack

Could be that the rear of the car is not set up correctly or wrong tyre pressure.

I would get the geo checked out.

Depends on how many laps he did on that 1 track day, and at what circuit?

..also was it a particularly hot day?

Pressure was around 2,2 bar. Pirelli recommends down to 2,0 bar. There is no visible wear at least on the tyre at all. Did maybe 150 or 200 km that day. Quiet smooth because of heavy understeer with stock setup. Left and right is quiet simuliar, right side a bit more, because we drove counter clockwise.

Drove at Bilster Berg in Germany in september not really hot. In any way, will go and give more camber, front and rear.

Edited by Freejack

Wow, lovely track - for a Lotus at least. Nothing on your video to suggest excessive tyre wear.

It does look like you're still in 'tour' mode going by the timing of the shift lights, this will mean that you'll be using a lot more rear brake than usual on a track. Unlikely to cause excessive wear on the outside of the tyres I know, but might be worth trying in 'Race' next time you go out on track.

The Geo on the Cup cars is different but my trofeos definitely don't wear like that.

Jonny, this was my first track car with ESP (or simuliar) I just forgot to switch over ;) I guess I drove in sport mode.

Do you have details about your geo?? Camber and offset?

Edited by Freejack

Not as bad as yours, but my tires (CupR) are showing a similar wear pattern -- significantly more outside edge and middle wear, with little wear on the inside.  Car needs more camber both front and rear (at least for my track use only) with the Trofeos, IMHO.  This will only be exacerbated in my situation when I go to slicks.

Just my 2 cents, FWIW.

Does someone has the same wear out at his Trofeos ? There is less wear all over the surface, but the outer ring is just gone.

Had only 1 trackday on this rear tyres.

Thanks for any comment.

20572129re.jpg

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Are those Pirelli pressures for normal road use? Not sure what that is in bar, but I think it's 3.8 rear, 3.2 front recommended. On the back I drop to 3.0 rear, 2.8 front and check each session and let more out as required (third session usually has it balanced). This reduced outer wear considerably.

I am changing the rear camber on our coupe too - waiting for confirmation from Lotus as to what (if any) the difference is to the cup setup on the Coupe. My theory is the Coupe may be at put more for road with less aggressive camber - increasing outer wear on track?

I had new rears fitted a few weeks ago and since have driven about 1500 miles including a cold wet track day at Zolder (150 miles on track) and a dry track day at Brands (300 miles on track). Cleaned and checked over today, would say 50% wear on rear, so a couple more track days out of them.

Laps at brands:

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Road legal the pressure should show 2,9 and 2,5 (I guess). On my Porsche I am going with 2,2 and 2,0 on  Michelin cup and this is perfect. On a lighter car this must be simuliar or less, even Pirelli recommends a minimum cold pressure of 1,8 bar and all my colleagues told me, that the Trofeos need less pressure to work well.

Interesting to see what is the geo of a cup or cupR.

Edited by Freejack

Well if Jack's getting a similar wear pattern on his V6 CupR then bang goes the Cup car geo theory! Can't say I've encountered it on my car. Wear is generally high overall but not noticeably on the outside edges. Curioser and curioser. I'll give my rears a closer look.

The LF1 looked pretty sweet at Brands, very composed and stable. Did you have any issues grounding out in the compression after Paddock Hill bend?

• Like 1

Yea, I would say now I have started actively monitoring pressures during the day and dropping lower overall from the outset I am seeing similar wear to Jonny as described earlier in the thread. Fist couple of outings were a worry but all down to running to high.

We were grounding at the compression, Gary in the other LF1 also. Not too bad and worse with a passenger.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com