free hit
counters
Corsa vs Trofeo - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I asked a very senior Lotus Ride & Handling Engineer what tyres he preferred on the Exige and the Corsa are excellent tyres, the Trofeo accounts for less than half a second per lap around Hethel by his (huge) experience in the car. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I imagine the Corsa to be a more rounded tyre than the Trofeo, better in the weather we usually get in the UK.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

I'm surprised the difference is that small. It feels much greater subjectively. The Trofeos are very soft and wear accordingly. So much so, Pirelli have updated it with a Trofeo R that lasts 80% longer according to their website! If they wear out fast on an Exige you can imagine what happens when you stick some on a big fat Porsche....

Is it worth speccing the Trofeo's over the Corsa's for largely road use but two or three track days a year, considering they're a £900 option?

How do the the Trofeo's cope in the wet, are they similar in nature to the likes of Yoko AO48's and Toyo R888's?

Thanks!

Neal.

In my experience the Trofeos aren't very good at all in the wet or at least with 3k miles on them but what seems like plenty of tread left. I'm changing them this week for Corsas to try as I have a track day on the 13th and it probably going to be damp at the very least. If you want to try the Trofeos my advice would be to fit them when the Corsas wear out and the set will only be a little more than the cost of the upgrade. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the Trofeosare a little too on the road and have heard of a few punctures which I've not heard of with the Corsas. Anyone had punctures in Corsas?

Trevor.

Is it worth speccing the Trofeo's over the Corsa's for largely road use but two or three track days a year, considering they're a £900 option?

How do the the Trofeo's cope in the wet, are they similar in nature to the likes of Yoko AO48's and Toyo R888's?

Thanks!

Neal.

The Trofeo's are no longer EU compliant, so as you are based in the UK you wouldn't be able to opt for these on a new order any way. Decision made ;) Edited by JAWS

The Trofeo's are no longer EU compliant, so as you are based in the UK you wouldn't be able to opt for these on a new order any way. Decision made ;)

Is this true?

If Jaws says so then it is. He knows his stuff :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

Corsas on Cups now then or Avons?

Trevor.

Maybe the new Trofeo R?

As for the speed difference to the Corsas, on a McLaren P1 it brought the lap time around Anglesey down from 1.12.6 to 1.11.2!

I find Trofeos surprisingly good on a damp track, at least when fairly new, but they can't cope with standing water well at all. Some serious aquaplaning issues. I was a sitting duck at Donington when the heavens opened properly. 

I'd be very surprised if the Trefeo's weren't EU compliant, they're standard fitment on the LF1 I believe?

I'm off to look at an LF1 this afternoon, but also playing around with specs at the moment to see whether I want an LF1 or just spec my own Exige. I would definitely spec the race pack, but wasn't sure whether Trofeo's were a good idea or not for my kind of usage, particularly as £900 seems A LOT given that's the premium over the Corsa's.

It sounds to me that the Corsa's would be better for my largely road use.

As of the 1st Nov they're not due to rolling resistance and noise. I'm waiting the official line but as per my post of a while back, you'll not lose out by saving £900 and going with the Corsa tyres.

Evora NA

Maybe the new Trofeo R?

As for the speed difference to the Corsas, on a McLaren P1 it brought the lap time around Anglesey down from 1.12.6 to 1.11.2!

I find Trofeos surprisingly good on a damp track, at least when fairly new, but they can't cope with standing water well at all. Some serious aquaplaning issues. I was a sitting duck at Donington when the heavens opened properly. 

Yes I should have said in standing water as they are fine in the damp.

Trevor.

Maybe the new Trofeo R?

Aren't these more focused that the standard Trofeo, if so I doubt these would be allowed either?

The regular Trofeo is only available in Exige sizes as far as I can see. The Trofeo R comes in a much wider range of sizes so I think it's reasonable to assume it's intended for bigger, heavier cars. According to Pirelli they last 80% longer. Given how quickly an 1100kg Exige can get through a set of rear Trofeos, I doubt a Porsche would do more than a single track day on the same compound. Hence the R version.

It's hard to tell how noisy they are on the road but they hardly ever make a squeak on the track. The least 'squealy' tyres I've ever used.

I'm surprised the difference is that small. It feels much greater subjectively. The Trofeos are very soft and wear accordingly. So much so, Pirelli have updated it with a Trofeo R that lasts 80% longer according to their website! If they wear out fast on an Exige you can imagine what happens when you stick some on a big fat Porsche....

That is interesting, mine is going in for an inspection on Saturday and I strongly believe new tyres are going to be needed on the rear. That's 2800 miles on the first set. I think the replacement will be about £320 each fitted, inc. My plan was to go with a second set of the original regular Trofeo on the rear and see where we are at the end of that and if necessary swap all 4 (assumed it would be bad to have different front and rear).

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

I might do the same, buy a couple of spare rears, otherwise when my rears need replacing I will need to get a full set. 

I was really glad that I ordered my LF1 with the Corsa tyres as most of my driving will be road with the odd track day.

Also driving at this time of the year.  

I'm on my 3rd set of rears after 9000 miles and still on the original fronts.

To be fair the 2nd set picked up a puncture (on the way to Spa) but I'd have needed a new set either way by now. That's not great mileage obviously but it does include 7 track days. They work so well on the track and generate such otherworldly grip that I consider them worth it but anyone used to a 4 cylinder Exige is looking at a much bigger annual tyre bill.

I'll give some Avon ZZRs a go next, just for the sake of finding out how they compare but I'm very impressed with the Trofeos. Given how fast some of the cars run on track days now you need all the help you can get just to keep up!

I was considering the ZZRs when fronts and rear need changing the same time. I am 3 track days in and 1 puncture (cutting very short the 4th) when virtually new so the rears are pretty consistent. Also I think that the Trofeos suggest a lot less remaining tread on the outside than centre and inside. Going to have a good look at tread depth in daylight on Saturday. I'm still a long way off the limit so expect the wear to worsen as I gain confidence in the car.

Do you expect the fronts to outlast your third set of rears or a 1 to 3 ratio will be about right?

Edit: With regards to the puncture no tyre would have survived the hole I managed to create:image1_zps3ac118a0.jpg

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

The rears I have on now have gotten me to the Nurburgring, did 9 laps of the Nordschleife, a track day at Spa and home again. I would expect a couple more dry track days out of them, maybe 3. I think the fronts will still be OK even then but it might be time to switch over to ZZRs.

Given how fast some of the cars run on track days now you need all the help you can get just to keep up!

For sure .... my next set of tires (once break-in is over :)) .... 

post-7947-0-07877700-1417277580.jpg

• Like 2

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Not sure the balance will be any good ?

I'd generally stick to running the same tyres on each corner ( or front / rear at least ) !

• Like 1

Thanks, great idea.  :P

I was only going run the slicks on the right side of the car .... thought it would help with all the Ovals we use our Loti for here in the Colonies.   Us Yanks need all the help we can get. :)

• Like 2

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

I'm still intrigued about the ZZR wear, there's a lot of feedback on the Trofeo's and my personal experience is that they're very grippy but take very little to wear them out.  Has anyone actually run ZZR's on a V6?  They're about £160 per set cheaper but really interested in the performance vs wear balance.