free hit
counters
Project A/C R12 to R134 in a G car - Page 5 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
910Esprit

Project A/C R12 to R134 in a G car

Thats right. the early cars didnt have the throttle jack solenoid. They do idle at a rather low speed with the compressor engaged, a bit too low really.

On my first Esprit I added this solenoid. In those days the support bracket, solenoid and the lever for the carb were all available as parts, I doubt they are now. Even with the solenoid it was not ideal because the solenoid does not have enough power to open the throttle. It only has enough to hold it from completely closing once its already open. So if the compressor cuts in when idle, the idle speed would still drop.

On the HC cars this solenoid also performs an emission control function. It holds the throttle slightly open until revs drop right down. This prevents built-up droplets of fuel on the sides of the carb barrels from being sucked into the engine by the very high-speed jet of air which results when de-cellerating from high revs with a nearly closed throttle.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
7 minutes ago, Andyww said:

Thats right. the early cars didnt have the throttle jack solenoid. They do idle at a rather low speed with the compressor engaged, a bit too low really.

On my first Esprit I added this solenoid. In those days the support bracket, solenoid and the lever for the carb were all available as parts, I doubt they are now. Even with the solenoid it was not ideal because the solenoid does not have enough power to open the throttle. It only has enough to hold it from completely closing once its already open. So if the compressor cuts in when idle, the idle speed would still drop.

Because I am such a stickler for originality, I guess I'd leave it well alone for my car.

On your side, you could buy one of those generic "idle-up" solenoids, fabricate a custom bracket and wire it to activate when your aircon compressor electrically engages. I know of a few that would be strong enough to hold twin Weber DCOEs or Dellorto DHLAs open. But these are electrically operated solenoids as opposed to the vacuum operated ones.

Edited by ekwan