free hit
counters
Project A/C R12 to R134 in a G car - Page 5 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Project A/C R12 to R134 in a G car

Thats right. the early cars didnt have the throttle jack solenoid. They do idle at a rather low speed with the compressor engaged, a bit too low really.

On my first Esprit I added this solenoid. In those days the support bracket, solenoid and the lever for the carb were all available as parts, I doubt they are now. Even with the solenoid it was not ideal because the solenoid does not have enough power to open the throttle. It only has enough to hold it from completely closing once its already open. So if the compressor cuts in when idle, the idle speed would still drop.

On the HC cars this solenoid also performs an emission control function. It holds the throttle slightly open until revs drop right down. This prevents built-up droplets of fuel on the sides of the carb barrels from being sucked into the engine by the very high-speed jet of air which results when de-cellerating from high revs with a nearly closed throttle.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
7 minutes ago, Andyww said:

Thats right. the early cars didnt have the throttle jack solenoid. They do idle at a rather low speed with the compressor engaged, a bit too low really.

On my first Esprit I added this solenoid. In those days the support bracket, solenoid and the lever for the carb were all available as parts, I doubt they are now. Even with the solenoid it was not ideal because the solenoid does not have enough power to open the throttle. It only has enough to hold it from completely closing once its already open. So if the compressor cuts in when idle, the idle speed would still drop.

Because I am such a stickler for originality, I guess I'd leave it well alone for my car.

On your side, you could buy one of those generic "idle-up" solenoids, fabricate a custom bracket and wire it to activate when your aircon compressor electrically engages. I know of a few that would be strong enough to hold twin Weber DCOEs or Dellorto DHLAs open. But these are electrically operated solenoids as opposed to the vacuum operated ones.

Edited by ekwan

• 3 years later...

I'm about to attempt this job on my '85 Esprit Turbo. Body is on but interior is mostly out and the radiator/condensor assembly is sitting on the workbench.  I fitted a a new compressor when the body was off.

I'm now at the stage of ordering hoses. I was going to get them fully made up, but looks like Andy and Steve made their own pipes in situ, which probably does make it easier to thread them through and align them, but adds extra costs for tools and I am a bit worried about leaks.

Anyone successfully threaded new made up pipes through or got any other useful advice? 

Martyn where are you located in London? I might be prepared to loan my AC hose crimper. 

There definitely wont be leaks using this. The biggest problem is finding the correct fittings, especially one of the fittings which connected to the evaporator which I had to have a friend send over from the US.

Ditto what Andy says.   Also by fitting one end on the car I could get the hose length/orientation exactly how I wanted it.   I would imagine the cost of having this done professionally would be fairly prohibitive, certainly more than the cost of your own crimper/materials.    

From memory, Andy has the more upmarket hydraulic crimper, whereas I used a mechanical version.   Both work perfectly well and I still have working, leak free A/C some 8 years later! 

That would be fantastic - been looking at the cheap ones on ebay and thinking I could justify that cost, but not sure how good they are.

I live in Hackney, and work near Romford. Wrong side for you I see, but I can always collect.

I've worked out all the hose fittings I need from APair and can make up all the hoses.  The problem one (inevitably) is the #12 flare on the evaporator. I can do from them, but only by with standard #12 hose with a stepdown #10 fitting at the compressor. Obviously I'd much prefer to have used #10 hose and stepped up at the evaporator, so I'll search a bit more and see if I can find the parts to do that.

I can do all the other hoses in reduced diameter hose, it is just flared fittings for that more modern hose are hard to find.

One other question - I got my car as a box of bits so I'm struggling to work out where everything goes because I didn't remove it. I usually find the manual and parts list helpful for such puzzles - but all their pictures are vague and of LHD cars. I am sure the routing must swap sides on a RHD because the handbrake is in the way otherwise.

I can see evidence the pipes from the compressor ran along inside the LHS sill, but that is about it. My best guess is:

Hose 17 on the parts manual (compressor to condenser) goes under the engine through the chassis, through the body beside the LHS sill, up over the front wheel arch and out to the condenser through a hole on the LHS of the front boot floor.

I've no idea on Hose 18 (condenser to receiver/drier) as I don't know where, or even which side, the drier should be mounted but I guessing am RHS, because...

Hose 14 (receiver/drier to evaporator) seems to need to run behind the dashboard at the evaporator end, so presumably to the RHS and over the front wheel arch on that side to wherever the receiver/drier is. 

Hose 15 runs back along the LHS sill and under the engine back to the compressor, which looks the easiest route thankfully, given what a massive hose it is.

How close am I? And if I do come and borrow your crimp tool could I have a look at yours please Andy?

Thats right the two long hoses run through the LH sill and they emerge from the sill and run vertically under the carpet which is glued over the hoses in a somewhat crappy way. 

Most early chassis still have the holes where the AC hoses ran through but they are on the wrong side! So they are not used. The dry sump cars had the compressor on the left and the hoses ran through the now-unused holes on the right. Wet sump compressor on the right, hoses through the spaceframe part of the chassis on the left (no drilled holes) then through body (holes) and into the end of the sill (more holes). 

Dont look at my receiver/drier as I mounted it in a non-standard place in order that I could use a standard one instead of the very short one which is needed to mount where the factory mounted it which is to the right of the spare wheel. I routed both hoses over the LH wheelarch which is also non-standard. The factory routed only one hose there.

17 hours ago, RichardJGC said:

On factory a/c cars the hoses emerge under a carpeted moulding riveted to front of sill panel. Im retro fitting factory a/c and got SJ to make up all the hoses for me.

Thats much neater. The dry sump car I used to own which had AC from the factory didnt have that, the carpets were glued over the hoses.

• Like 1

Im not sure when it was introduced. 
I spotted a car with one and then looked back at all my roadtests to find its on all the a/c ones that show the passenger footwell. 
Also in the parts book too.

Using a sample sill i opened up the rear of my existing one to give better clearance to the hoses through the bulkhead.

F807F916-69B1-4CFB-9296-20BF2B771B70.jpeg

6DC191F6-D43B-426B-AF74-576EF8A3A574.jpeg

9697A949-F998-4754-814E-5DD1209816BD.jpeg

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

All Esprit with A/C, S2 onwards both RHD and LHD have the little cover on the passenger side sill only, to allow for the passage of the A/C pipes.

I should mention up to the face-lift (S4), which then had those covers on both sides.

Edited by Steve V8
  • Like 1