free hit
counters
Timing - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hello

I've replaced the distributor in my car and now need to set up the timing. I've read how to do it in the manual, just wanted to know if anyone has and tricks to make it easier or know of any potential problems I am going to encounter?

Thanks in advance folks ;)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

I've replaced the distributor in my car and now need to set up the timing. I've read how to do it in the manual, just wanted to know if anyone has and tricks to make it easier or know of any potential problems I am going to encounter?

Thanks in advance folks ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you hadn't removed the cam-belt, the first part of the problem is solved - at least the distributor will have the correct range adjustment!

I've just set the timing on my Excel, hooked up a timing light, loosened the clamp bolt, was twisting the distributor, went to look at timing marks and the engine stopped - the distributor fell out .. ARGH .. cut hands trying to get the thing back in again, start again with the clamp bolt slightly tighter.

It would be easy if the access was better, how do you get a timing light in there on an espri?!

Sport 250 HC NA ... what mods have you got?! Oh hang on, am I getting mixed up here ... Sport 250HC on unity1 .. sport 295 here!?

Edited by scoule

The car is expanding :(

I'll post full details when I have then but when the project is complete we're expecting more power than most turbo cars from the NA with a Kempsher full race spec engine, onwards and upwards ;)

I've got about 100 cuts on my hands and arms from the dizzy, we found that the right arm under the airbox and left arm through the gap under the rear carb worked best, unless you wanted to move!

Next weekend we are going to take the boot floor and rear panel of the engine bay out to make it easier, it's the technical side of timing we need to get right!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The car is expanding :(

I'll post full details when I have then but when the project is complete we're expecting more power than most turbo cars from the NA with a Kempsher full race spec engine, onwards and upwards ;)

Sounds like you need a full mapped ignition system to get the best out of such a radical engine! I'm powering up the ignition section of the fuel injection conversion on my Excel this evening for the first time :-)

C'mon, give us a taster of the bits going into the melting pot! Has it got one of those rather nice heads as shown on Lotusbits? Bigger valves? How hot with cams? CR? ... Rev limit?

The Dellorto 48's have been sourced which are by all accounts very rare and a great find. I'm not overly informed as the engine is a gift from my best friend in conjuction with a transgender engine builder in South Africa called Geraldine!!!

The head is already done, which is flowed to 172cfm with all sorts of bits and bobs gone into it, but the guy who made the head offered me to swap it for a new S4 engine if I didn't want it so it is pretty much up there from my understanding. Watch this space! But for now, about that timing, any hints??? ;)

Evora NA

No real earth shattering advice on timing , yes access is limited (I got cut to ratsh1t when I did mine) Bring engine to No.1, 10degrees before TDC . Insert distributor so cap clips are at top and bottom, align one of the small points on the shaft with the magnetic pick up, tighten hold down clamp. Put rotor arm on and note position (thats where your No.1 lead will go).Install cap , fit rest of leads in correct order 1 3 4 2 clockwise .Start engine and time with a strobe to Engine builders spec. On small trick I did was to put a small washer and a split pin through each of the distributor cap clips, to stop them coming off when the cap is removed (lost one never to be found again) A small mirror on a telescoping rod is also handy when working on distributor. ;)

SUNP0003-1.jpg

I'll get a pair of steel gloves usually seem on divers who swim with the sharks and let you know how it goes ;) Thanks guys.

Evora NA