free hit
counters
Thermostat temp? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Thermostat temp?

hyteck9

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seasonal Thermostats?  I would not have guessed that.  I think mine is sticking a little or the gauge is bad because it seems to be jumping all over the place. 

I'm leaning toward the gauge is going bad, because if the sensor actually read a temp of "too hot" I assume the ECU would trip the dummy light, yes?

Is the thermostat easy to get to?  (I'm at work, can't look)

Edited by hyteck9

Are these cars prone to air pockets in the cooling system? 

I can run it with the cap off for 15 minutes or so on an incline tonight to see if I can get any air bubbles out of it, but no work has been done that would have compromised the cooling system to let the air in ?

Just thought I would ask...

Seasonal only in more extreme climates (the manual says) I should clarify.

If you have access to an IR gun you can see what temp the thermostat operates in situ.

The only other way that I know of is to take out the thermostat and sit it in a pot of water with a thermometer and heat it up, at 82 it should open. Otherwise as you say, a faulty indicator perhaps.

Iain

Seasonal Thermostats?  I would not have guessed that.  I think mine is sticking a little or the gauge is bad because it seems to be jumping all over the place. 

I'm leaning toward the gauge is going bad, because if the sensor actually read a temp of "too hot" I assume the ECU would trip the dummy light, yes?

Is the thermostat easy to get to?  (I'm at work, can't look)

There are 2 sensors, so there is a separate one that feeds the ECU.

At the front of the engine is the thermostat housing and on the left of it you will see the two senders. The large one is for the ECU and the small one for the gauge.

And is it easy to do? :no

As for air pockets, well it could be pipes or radiator getting blocked or leaking. Try bleeding the system (radiator bleed valve and circuit bleed on the pipe at the front of the engine) and see if there is air in there?

There is a "stock" fault with the post 98 V8 gauge , it develops a huge dry joint on the metal pot that is soldered over the coil assembly . You would have to cut the back off and then after repairing glue it back on , I prefer to cut with a hot knife

Regards

Dave