free hit
counters
My European road trip - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

My European road trip

Neal H

I was booked on the DN10 track days at the Nordschliefe last week. Rather than just drive there and back, I thought i would make a week of it and travel down through France. First stop was at peronne to visit the excellent WW1 museum housed there. Given that it's exactly 100 years since the outbreak, it seemed fitting and is highly recommended.

From there it is a fairly short hop to Reims and a visit to the GP track. It's something I've been meaning to do for years, but never got around to. It was deserted and very atmospheric.

Img_1263.jpg

Img_1252.jpg

Img_1250.jpg

Img_1281.jpg

From Reims it was onto the Nurburgring.

The view from my Adenau hotel window first thing in the morning

Img_1283.jpg

Parked up at the Nurburgring, ready to go!

Img_1330.jpg

And finally, some on-track pictures courtesy of Frozenspeed

DN10C_1034HR.jpg

DN10A_0713HR.jpg

DN10B_0477HR.jpg

DN10E_3370HR.jpg

It was a very enjoyable week with great weather in Germany.

The Evora was superb on road and track. In 1294 miles it didn't miss a beat and on the road sections averaged over 35mpg. I can't think of a better car to do this kind of trip in - refined and comfortable on the autoroutes/autobahns and superb on track.

Lotus was well represented at the Nurburgring event - mostly Exige V6's (3 Cups I think), but mine was the only Evora.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Tracks pics look great, sounds like a fun trip.

What sort of BtG times were you seeing?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The best thing about the track day was that you had full use of the circuit, so you could use the whole of the main straight - I saw just over 140mph on the speedo before I decided I needed to slow up at about the bridge. I wasn't pushing hard, driving it like a fast road rather than track. I was always conscious of the fact that this car had to get me to work Monday morning :)

I don't know what the BtG time might have been - I wasn't timing!

Great pics the one on the Karussell the Evora looks epic! It's the way to go now I last went to the ring in Nov on a public day and it just to much risk now , out of interest how much was it ? Also how much was the track insurance ? Or is this part of your existing insurance policy

I do love the ring such a great atmosphere! .. Would love to take my Evora (when I get one lol) around :)

Great photos . Was also there last week :)

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

It was a two day event (Wednesday & Thursday), each day cost £550, but it was £1000 if you booked both days. I booked them both as I would have been annoyed if one day was wet and the other dry and sunny! As it turned out, both days were dry and sunny with the temperature in the high 20's, so perfect!

I have track cover included as part of my normal insurance (through 1 Answer) and because it was a track day rather than a public day, I was covered under that. I checked with them beforehand and they confirmed I would be covered for it. That was one of the big appeals for me - having insurance.

It's not cheap, but it's very worthwhile to experience the 'Ring in a closed environment - I'd do it again. Just wandering around the car park was interesting - Alfa 8C, Ferrari's, McLaren and more Porsche 911 GT3's than you could shake a stick at!

Very nice and i envy you! I've been meaning to go there myself a few times, but never got closer than Mendig, which is where Komotec is located. It was always pouring rain when I was there, so no sense in even doing one of the public days.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I've been a passenger in a 996.1 GT3 for about 10 laps, quickest being 8.15 and 175 down the straight. A humbling experience.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It was a two day event (Wednesday & Thursday), each day cost £550, but it was £1000 if you booked both days. I booked them both as I would have been annoyed if one day was wet and the other dry and sunny! As it turned out, both days were dry and sunny with the temperature in the high 20's, so perfect!

I have track cover included as part of my normal insurance (through 1 Answer) and because it was a track day rather than a public day, I was covered under that. I checked with them beforehand and they confirmed I would be covered for it. That was one of the big appeals for me - having insurance.

It's not cheap, but it's very worthwhile to experience the 'Ring in a closed environment - I'd do it again. Just wandering around the car park was interesting - Alfa 8C, Ferrari's, McLaren and more Porsche 911 GT3's than you could shake a stick at!

Aha that explains why when we turned up for evening session on Thursday, we were told it had been open all day. Obviously not for joe public though ;)

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Here's a lap from the day I was there in the GT3. I wasn't a passenger for this lap but you'll get an idea, my pal driving has done over 500 trackdays and a couple of hundred laps of the 'Ring.

Evora NA

911 GT3's are popular for good reason - they're epic on track.

Personally though, I'd love to have an Exige V6 Cup car in my life - If only I could figure out how!

I sold my 997 GT3 CS as only used it on the road and the only way to get a buzz was to drive it fast....not good for license. However fully agree that for the ring, the gt3 is the perfect car. Edited by DJW