free hit
counters
S1 fuel tanks and system rebuild - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lotusfab

S1 fuel tanks and system rebuild

About to start reassembling. Does anyone have any pictures of the fuel system rebuild, as this would greatly help? Thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There's probably one in the parts manual.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hi Paul,

Had a look it very basic and gives no clue as to how the tanks are attack to the body or fuel pipe routing etc.

Hi Fabian,

I have done this on my S2 last year and the process is basically the same as the S1, with the exception of early cars.

From what I gather (and correct me if I am wrong) the early S1's had a longer neck on the tanks, and a small take off pipe underneath.  This was changed on later S1's and all S2's to shorter necks and banjo bots underneath.  I would think its much easier to remove the tanks with shorrter necks although its likely you will need to cut through the hoses connecting the tanks to the filler point.

Tanks are held in the bodywork by a bolt through the wheelarch.  Fuel pipes run from one tank to the other between the large rear part of the chassis and the engine and enter the bodywork before connecting to the tanks.  There is a large bung underneath each tank to gain access to the banjo bolts/take off pipe so you can disconnect.

If you need any other info let me know as its still quite fresh in my mind.

Just got round to finishing the fuel system. The parts 3 ( metal ring) and 4 (fiber washer) please could you confirm the washer goes up against the paintwork around the filler neck on the outside and the metal ring fits on top with screws thru the body to the filler neck metal body which is inside the car. Thanks.